Main Menu

News:

Support Claytonia:   

Minecraft in C++

Started by Tslat, September 14, 2015, 12:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tslat

For those of you who don't know; Minecraft is built in a programming language called Java.

Java is a powerful language that almost every single device and operating system supports. It is this fact that makes Java so widespread.

However, Java actually has quite a few issues, especially in the performance department.
For small tasks and programs, it's fine. However for large projects, Java begins to fall well behind other programming languages in terms of memory usage, speed, and capability.

So I've just been looking around at various things in my spare time, and have come across two things:

http://cuberite.org/
http://www.minetest.net/

One is a Minecraft Vanilla Server created in C++, and the other is a Minecraft client in C++.

I've tested both of them, and they appear to perform between 400-600% better than default Minecraft!

This doesn't mean much for the average user, but for tech-heads like myself it's an absolutely amazing feat.
C++ Is an amazingly useful and powerful language, and it's exciting to see Minecraft re-created in it, especially with the crazy improvements in performance.
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Marshall_Maz

Well I have played minetest for about 18 months in all different ways , single player , lan server and online server.
Even had my own server for a while as well.
And it's performance is way worse than Minecraft. Chunk loading is much slower and lag is much higher also.
Even fps is worse.
Data usage online is a lot more than Minecraft as well. So I dunno if it's bad optimization or the fact that you must
overload it with mods to get proper game content that causes it , but it doesn't run as well as Minecraft.
Vanilla minetest maybe yes , but that is completely void of game content and basically only an engine.

Not saying c++ itself is worse , just giving my experience with minetest.

Tslat

Odd, I got exactly the opposite, it was an improvement in every way.

I didn't test the single player of Minetest, I used the Cuberite server to play
Like what you see here?

Marshall_Maz

Quote from: Tslat on September 14, 2015, 05:48:12 AM
Odd, I got exactly the opposite, it was an improvement in every way.

I didn't test the single player of Minetest, I used the Cuberite server to play

What subgame of minetest does that server use ?
Just vanilla minetest_game ?

Or is cuberite not minetest at all ?

Edit: Had a look at the website , doesn't look like minetest. My experience is only in minetest

Tslat

Cuberite is a server, minetest is the client.
Like what you see here?

Tslat

I will admit I saw far greater improvements in cuberite than minetest
Like what you see here?

Marshall_Maz

Quote from: Tslat on September 14, 2015, 06:09:08 AM
Cuberite is a server, minetest is the client.

Ok , minetest is both though. Has build-in server as well.
I used it's server as well as it's client.

Cuberite I don't know at all.

Personally I think minetest is just poorly optimized