Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

WIndows 10

Started by Zito, August 16, 2015, 01:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zito

So, who has itl, and what do you think of it. Personally, I can't say much because I've only had it for about a day, but I am really liking it so far. Any thoughts on it? I definitely think it's better than Windows 8 by miles.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

Yeah it definitely beats out Windows 8, but I'd take Windows 7 over it any day.

It does have performance improvements, and some cool new features to use over the older Operating Systems. It just doesn't seem to provide enough for me to want to upgrade over Windows 7.

I'm also really not a fan of its new policy on enforced updating. For those who don't know; Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs every windows update when it wants to. You have no choice in the matter -- you can't stop it, delay it, or cancel it.

While this may seem only minor, you have to remember that in places like Australia, Windows randomly starting an update download can kill our internet for hours at a time.

Overall, the Operating system is pretty solid, despite a few setbacks. I'd take it over Windows 8 any day (but in saying that, I'd take Vista over Win8 any day too.). I don't see a reason to upgrade from Win7 yet though
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

Oh, well that explains why it wouldn't shut down last night when I told it to... That is a major drawback in my opinion, as I like to decide when my updates happen. All in all though, I'm just happy to be off of 8. If I had 7 I probably would have put it on my computer, but I don't have it so, oh well.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Mercuryboarder

I'm holding off on the update for now. Honestly, the only features that really interest me are DX12 and the virtual desktops. Being that I use linux about 50% of the time, it's crazy to me that it took this long for MS to include virtual desktops natively. That should be a huge productivity booster for a lot of people. They acquired a company that had a package for this a while back and it's been a thing since W7 I believe but it was still basically 3rd party software and you couldn't move windows from one workspace to another, making it mostly useless.

If one of you have a moment, I'm itching to see results from a small experiment. So, I've always encountered issues with alt+tabbing out of a full screen game. Skyrim is probably one of the worst offenders here. When tabbing back to the game window, it either hangs or comes back with the desktop mouse on top of the game window or no sound...etc. How does switching workspaces from a workspace running a fullscreen game window and back work?

Also, any thoughts on the privacy issues that have come to light? I heard it sends out some info to MS every time you search in the start menu, including a few packets with some sort of "machine identifier." The method used to generate this identifier is still unclear, whether it's based on the activation key, hardware identifiers....? They also fetch live tile updates even when the live tiles are all turned off. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

If you haven't already done so, you may also want to turn off the P2P update sharing feature. Especially if you're concerned about your bandwidth/data usage.

Zito

What's this about virtual desktops? Never heard of that...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

Can read more on that here, Zito:

http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-to-use-virtual-desktops-in-windows-10/

It basically means that the feature is in-built to Windows, rather than requiring 3rd party drivers and extensions.

I feel like I should also mention that this is the LAST operating system Microsoft is making. Windows 10 is it
Like what you see here?

Zito

Woah really? What's up with that?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

Because they want to go the way that every other company is now, with incremental updates rather than large ones
Like what you see here?

Zito

Yeah I guess, so it would still be advancing, just not as much at a time and it'll be called the same thing. Kind of like how Minecraft has 1.8.etc and such it'll be WIndows 10.whatever.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

you have a year to make up your mind. after you upgrade you have a year to undo the upgrade. give it a try, if u don't like it revert back to your original version.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Tslat

Like what you see here?

Marshall_Maz

Biggest issues for me

1. The privacy issue. They can basically make copies of all your data to their servers.
2. Forced updates. Where I live bandwidth is a huge issue and I want to update when it is my choice to do so.
3. Drive encryption. When the OS breaks you can't even get your data of your drive by booting from a cd.
4. I don't trust that OS at all. I believe that there is still a big hidden agenda with it under the bonnet. MS have never given you anything for free and they are not gonna start now. There is a reason why they are so desperate to get Win 10 on as many pc's as quickly as possible.

It's moving too much to a " We decide how your machine will work not you " system now. I work mostly on Linux anyway so don't care much for Windoze anyway.
The little bit I need it for (gaming) I will stick to Win 7.

Tslat

Quote from: Marshall_Maz on August 29, 2015, 02:42:31 AM
Biggest issues for me

1. The privacy issue. They can basically make copies of all your data to their servers.
2. Forced updates. Where I live bandwidth is a huge issue and I want to update when it is my choice to do so.
3. Drive encryption. When the OS breaks you can't even get your data of your drive by booting from a cd.
4. I don't trust that OS at all. I believe that there is still a big hidden agenda with it under the bonnet. MS have never given you anything for free and they are not gonna start now. There is a reason why they are so desperate to get Win 10 on as many pc's as quickly as possible.

It's moving too much to a " We decide how your machine will work not you " system now. I work mostly on Linux anyway so don't care much for Windoze anyway.
The little bit I need it for (gaming) I will stick to Win 7.

The reason they're handing it out for free is because they're trying to rescue it after the Windows 8 disaster, and they're trying to get everyone into their one ecosystem -- they know people don't buy in to windows like they buy into new phones or whatever.

Regardless, with all the Machiavellian ploys so far, I wouldn't put it past them to have ulterior motives in everything they're currently doing
Like what you see here?