Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

New PC build.

Started by zerokiriyu, July 11, 2014, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerokiriyu

Hey guys, as I've said before, I'm going to be building a PC soon, but I'm not very good at knowing what I need to do. Is there anyone in Claytonia that does?

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

zerokiriyu

Quote from: Tslat on July 11, 2014, 11:29:30 PM
uh..

Uh as in hey dumbass I'm right here, or you don't know?

~Zero
Zero-

Clay

lots of us do
check out tiger direct and their youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxn2JKjtfOy5qr1pnen79Fw
tirgerdirect.com
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Clay

Clay

what do u want the computer to be able to do and how much $ u willing to spend?
do u want to build your own or do u want a pre-fab?

Tslat

I actually so many different points to make that I didn't know what to say and resorted to uh.. lol

First thought is what's your motivation for building a computer when you don't know how to.. that's not a huge point though.

Main things to take into account are what your priorities are:

• Price
  • Processing Power
  • High-End Gaming
  • Multi-Tasking
  • Power consumption

Then, how high do you regard:
- Quality of sound
- Running Volume
- Warranty
- Fancy lights and crap

There's plenty of videos on youtube, or you can go through the things on this list and we can slowly build up some parts together on this thread..

Alternatively just buy a good pre-built computer lol
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

Well, I don't want to spend more than 4,000$. I want it to be able to run top of the line grafics, and be able to multitask. I always end up with at least ten windows, ranging from google chrome to different games all at the same time, running. I want around 32 gigs of ram, and a ton of storage.

As far as build or pre fab, unsure. If I can find something I want already done, then by all means.

~Zero
Zero-

Blaidrug

If you ask my IT guy dad, you'll basically want to start with a graphics card and build around that.

Other than that, no clue XD
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Clay

if u have a budget over $2000 just get a prebuilt
find a build a custom rig site like dell.com and just put in all the top of the line stuff. alternatively u can do your homework and learn a little bit about the components before you buy so u know what u r getting. 

Tslat

In terms of pre-built, there's a few options that stay under the $4k mark while still retaining high specs..

You can look at builds of XOTIC Executioners

Can try submitting a spec build from Deus Ex

iBuyPower does some great custom builds, though they're often limited to a max of 16GB ram (Not sure about upgrading)

Other than that, it's a fair bit of homework, as Clay said. You need to know which parts work together, balancing it to stay in your price range while retaining power and not using up all your PSU
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

I've looked through the different sites and looked at what they each offer, but I still have no idea what I'm doing.

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

What things confuse you the most
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

I know very basic stuff, I understand ram, but I haven't a clue what it's for. Same goes for almost everything else.

~Zero
Zero-

furryoldlobster

I like tigerdirect.com

Get a piece of paper and start writing of parts, part stats, and part numbers.

start with a motherboard and a cpu (I like asus boards and AMD cpus) that fits on said MB.  Next, pick a case that works with the MB.  Some boards are meant for regular towers, and others for micro towers.  Make sure it fits!  Some towers come with a power source, typically powerful enough for a solid build.

Pick out some ram that works with your board. 

Next, depending on how much space your tower has, add in graphics and sound cards (integrated boards save space, but lack adaptability), and hard drive. 

The cooling system is up to you.  I like liquid cooling, but if you don't mind the noise, fans are way cheaper option. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Should have read his last post furry...

Well if you're really that limited in knowledge, then you should really just look into pre-built computers, or start learning about computer hardware.
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

If I were to start of with a pre built, what would be a good one that would be easy to upgrade later?

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

if you get a good one, you wouldn't need to upgrade later
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

Then what would be a good one?

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

Quote from: Tslat on July 11, 2014, 11:37:47 PM
Main things to take into account are what your priorities are:

• Price
  • Processing Power
  • High-End Gaming
  • Multi-Tasking
  • Power consumption

Then, how high do you regard:
- Quality of sound
- Running Volume
- Warranty
- Fancy lights and crap
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

Around 4000$

I would like it to process rather quickly, but I'm unsure of to determine how quickly.

It will mostly be a gaming PC, so ya...

I need to to be able to multitask really well. I don't know how many times I have caused a PC to crash because I had so many things going  at once.

I am unsure of what to say about power.

I would like sound to be nice, but no need to go all out.

No idea what running volume is.

Ya warranty...

No need for fancy mess, just need it to do what I need it to do.

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

mmk.

For reference, some people try to build their computers around minimal power consumption, to save running costs.
Running volume is just the sound your computer makes while sitting there..I.E. Fan spinning noise. Some people will go to great lengths to get things like water cooling to avoid noise

If you put high regard on warranty, then building a pc should definitely be avoided

What we can do, to avoid me doing all the work:

Go on google/bing/yahoo/whatever
Search for things like 'high-end gaming computer', 'best desktop pcs', etc..
Also search the websites of retail stores you know exist around you, and look at their computers.
Post here the links of computers you find that you think look good/fit your needs/whatever.

Then we can go through them to narrow it down

You don't have to have a perfect understanding of them, just find ones you think look good
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

Well fan noise really irritates me, but as long as it is not over powering, like the laptop I use now it's really hard to hear anything over it.

As far as warranty goes, I don't know. I mean would it be worth not having it?

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

I edited my post, read the last parts
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

Well, the retail  stores near me, most of the time have no idea what a gaming pc is, and all the pcs they have are really crappy. From what I understand about the specs of my laptop, I am better off sticking with it. I have yet to find one that has more then 2 gigs of ram.

I have looked at a few from the sites that y'all gave me. My problem is that everything I look at with my minimal knowledge all seem to have high points and points I dont even under stand. Such as these.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd?ref=PD_OC
http://www.xoticpc.com/executioner-stage-p-6641.html

I like the idea of the alienware, but again, I only understand little about what I am looking at.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

QuoteShould have read his last post furry...
I really should have, but I finished writing mine too soonafter he wrote his.

Check out http://www.ifitjams.com/ibuild1.htm.  I used a very similar step-by-step guide for my first couple builds.  It puts a lot of terms into layman, which made it super easy for me.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Furry, his problem is he doesn't know what the parts are all for, and therefore doesn't know which to get.

We haven't even moved to a building stage yet
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

I looked into the Alienware a little closer, and while retaining its warranty, I can customize it. For 4900$ it will give me 90% of what I want. My problem is, I have heard a lot of great things about Alienware, and a lot of not so greats about them.

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

Yeah they're quite overpriced for what they can do is my general opinion on them
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

T, would you or Clay mind creating a post/section about DIY projects?  I could post a guide on building a comp whilst explaining in such a way that anyone could figure it out, regardless of current PC knowledge.  I hate to see zero overspending on a machine just because school hasn't figured out how to teach usable skills. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

If he doesn't know he really shouldn't be building one lol

Just use the general discussion section of community boards ( where we are now)

Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

I should create a quick build worth $4k.  It'll be amazing.  I can explain each part, and why I chose it.  Tonight I shall post!!!

...I'm making soup and bread now so it'll be a few hours. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Thanks for the vote of intellectual  confidence guys....

~Zero
Zero-

Tslat

It takes you a few hours to make soup and bread?
Like what you see here?

Clay

I use an alienware computer. I knew when buying it that it was way over priced.
When i was a little kid i thought that alienwares were the coolest computers and have always wanted one.
Some kids want cool cars, i wanted a cool computer.
now that i have one i will never buy one again. nothing is wrong with it but i full filled my childhood desires so i wont be spending the extra $1000 to get a fancy case and name.

furryoldlobster

QuoteIt takes you a few hours to make soup and bread?

It does when its not from a can and bag (respectively). 

Zero, you've more than enough talent to put together a computer.  You're a smart guy with plenty of ingenuity. 

Plus, building things makes people better.  Fact.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Then I made fire, and got distracted....

...but I will come up with a few rigs that are in your budget and way better than an alienware.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8927529&CatId=114

My goal will be to build this without all the flashy lights and for a lot less money. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Take away the stupid keyboard, fancy case, and brick-mouse, and you've probably saved yourself 300-500 lol
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Also, get rid of windows 8.  Use the far more reliable windows 7.  Its pretty close to the same price but will save frustration. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Agreed, though it can be hard to find windows 7
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

I'm going to try and make all hypothetical purchases through tigerdirect.  It has plenty of copies of multiple versions of 32/64 bit windows 7. 
~ cinema sign.