Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

Video game hackers face criminal charges.

Started by Clay, June 25, 2014, 05:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Tslat

Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

Seems to me that that's what they had to resort to because banning obviously wasn't enough. I understand that the company is a business trying to make money, but criminal charges do seem a bit extreme.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blaidrug

lol seems to me that the kids should've tried harder not to get caught! XD

Eh, but seriously? Criminal charges? I agree with Zito, it's rather extreme.
There's a lot about this we don't really know, however.
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Flareside

I think hackers get what they deserve. If a company goes after them like this then whose fault is it? I blame the hackers they made the choice. I always relate it to driving. If I speed and get caught its my fault I was trying to cheat the rules. But oh well there aren't enough people around that care about personal responsibility anymore for it to matter.

Blaidrug

But criminal charges? They didn't deliberately steel the companies money, they just cheated their game.
Dont get me wrong, I don't support them cheating at the game. (I love cheats, and think they're the best part of the older games, but those are single player games)

Just seems like an overreaction to me 

Tslat

Well you accept the terms of use when you use the game, and those who break it are subject to the companies conditions..

They willingly, and knowingly do so when cheating
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Good.  Cheaters are lame. 

Why don't they use their hacking skills to create something new, rather than tear up someone's  work. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Flareside

Also think there are a lot of games in Japan that are pay to win to you have to earn a stupid amount of in game points to buy the same things. If the game functions like that then they are stealing the companies money. (note I am not advocating pay to win games, I personally hate them)

furryoldlobster

~ cinema sign.

Clay

If you cheat on a subscription game and piss off someone by cheating they are liking to rage quit and or stop playing. if a subscription paying gamer stops playing a game because of a cheater pissing them off the company loses money.

There are lots of scenarios that would cause a company to lose money due to cheaters.

Do you think the companies have the right to sue cheaters/hackers if they can prove that the cheaters have cost them money?
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

furryoldlobster

Its on the same level as steroids in professional sports.  They are taking away opportunities from players whom do not cheat, and ruining the experience for them. 

The company has every right to retribution, especially monetary if they can prove fiscal loss. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Like what you see here?

sharingjan

To me it depends on what person it is.
if someone does cheat all the time to get an overwelmy large advantage and because of that the game maker loses money just sue them.
if it's someone who find a cheat on a site and tries it for fun(although it's never a good idea to do it) just temp or perm ban them
There are no stupid questions except for stupid questions

danny4rest

They deserve what they got, this is a follow up to that news report
http://kotaku.com/gamers-hit-with-criminal-charges-apparently-made-tons-o-1596352729
Once you earn money from hacking a game, it start to be very bad.

Blaidrug

Dude, that makes it worse.

This being the case, criminal charges don't seem too drastic anymore.