Main Menu

The Shaded City Mystery

Started by furryoldlobster, February 26, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny4rest

Daniel walks over to one of the beds and attempts to rip a long beam off one of them
Taking bed beam
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Bed Break
SUCCESS

Daniel easily breaks apart the first bed he sees. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

If this water skin was just filled with water, then Aila's behavior is highly suspicious. She must have known it was water as well. Arya figures the half-elf is hiding something. She just doesn't know what or have enough want to find out. For now, the ranger is swept up in her party's attempt to figure out the trap, though she'll not forget Aila's shifty words. Seeing Daniel attempt to rip off the leg of a bed, she gets an idea. "Perhaps this trap is just based on visuals?" she hypothesizes. The girl sends Mayar leaping up out of the chest hole to see if any sort of danger is triggered.

Roll for good measure
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

danny4rest

Daniel walks over and dangles one of the beams in the hole trying to activate whatever may be in there.

furryoldlobster

Both Mayar, and Daniel's dangling rod, have no luck in activating any trap.  In fact, Mayar finds nothing remotely disturbing up top.  He pokes his head back in the chest signaling the safe situation. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

"Mayar says it's safe," Arya says. She begins climbing the ladder and stops at the top to peer out the side for a double check on Mayar's observation. She tentatively raises her left hand, ready to pull it back down just in case anything unwanted came flying at her.

Peer
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

"Ok, I guess you suddenly went mute then." Zeeto says angrily to the useless man. He storms off into the other room soon after. Seeing the open chest sitting there, Zeeto walks over and looks inside. He sees the three bags of gold still in there, picks them up, and pockets them. Afterwords, he walks back in to the other room, and waits for Arya to get up the ladder before following suit. He completely ignores the man on the ground still trying to sew up his friend.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

danny4rest

Daniel waits for them to get up into the hole before pulling and pushing on the top rung of the ladder, where the person put his foot
Fiddling with the rung
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

"Good god, lanky elf person!", Harold yells.  "I'm trying to save a man!  Either help, or leave me be.  I've answered everything already.  Do you expect me to help you chew your food too!?!  Quick!  Someone regurgitate food for this useless elf!"

Harold does his best to remain unwavered by Zeeto's backhanded remarks, and continues to sew his friend.  The elf should be more understanding of a non-sanctioned "doctor" performing completely unnecessary and pointless surgery on a corpse in a secret underground chest-hole. 

Arya sees no enemies up top.  It looks exactly the same as when they descended, save a few sprays of Gerald's blood splashed about, and around, the faux chest. 

Daniel waits for no ranger!  He begins climbing before Arya manages to move to another rung.  He grips the top rung and pulls with all his over-sized might!  The bar quickly breaks free, sending Arya flying up through the chest, and Daniel barreling downwards.  Stupid momentum.....

Daniel looks up to see no trap activated. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Name: Aila Drakesberth               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 23/26                                        Dex: +2     Int: +0
Gold: 32, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2
Armour Class: 14                                            Luk: 15

Aila watched the two. As far as she was concerned, they'd only made climbing out of the hole harder; albeit, Mayar was useful. With everyone currently disposed of, Aila walked back into the other room and picked up the three bags of gold. She then came back to the ladder. Climbing up, Aila hopped out of the chest hole and peered down the corridor. Thankfully, she was a half-elf.

Spot Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Millarz

Zeeto already got the gold, Toki

"Gee thanks Dan," Arya says, emphasizing every word with sarcasm. "Good news though. I'm not dead yet. It appears you all can come up now." After a moment if thought, the ranger asks, "Where were we going before this whole fiasco started today? My brain seems to be fuzzy from SBD and I can't remember at the moment. You said something about letters and things connected to the guild and whatnot, Manther?"

zerokiriyu

"I am an Anthro." He followed everyone back out into the main room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero-

furryoldlobster

Aila looks around too see the area near the chest is very nearly unchanged.  The lantern still hangs ablaze, lighting up the room.  There are fewer footprints than there should be.  Those two fools couldn't have flied in...

After a beat, she spots another set of tracks.  They belong to a humanoid wearing thin shoes that leave bootlike prints.  At first they lead to the chest-hole from outside, then thy appear to turn around, and head back out of the room.  Aila's no expert tracker, but by no means, ignorant of these matters either.  She surmises from the stride that the creator of these tracks isn't much taller than six feet. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

Shortly after Arya gets to the top, Zeeto follows her up the ladder. Once out, he asks "See anything interesting?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

Aila join Arya and Zeeto at the top of the chest, and watched S'kavara joined the three. "It appears what ever split our friend in two has taken its leave. It might be waiting outside the cave entrance, or somewhere along the way. Judging from it's prints, it doesn't seem entirely... human. It's got some human characteristics. It's wearing boots. I suggest we take care from here on out." Aila said her statement in a calm tone, she was of course nervous as whatever split the man in two coming at her, but freaking out wasn't any way to handle the situation.

I didn't see that Zeeto picked up the gold in an earlier post (must have missed it). I can't edit my previous post, so I'm acknowledging that I don't have the gold. Zeeto does.

Millarz

Arya takes two steps and stumbles on air. She props herself against the cave wall and squints bleary eyed at her party before her. To her right, a foggy outline of a glowing white wolf stares at her, concerned. Its light seems to flicker in her eyes and then warp and swim around in her vision. "Lei... Aila, do you have any bacon? Don't... play any tricks on me... this time. No illusions. I think this is pretty serious." Arya leans her head against the wall. She closes her eyes to stop her vision from tricking her into thinking the world is twisting and flipping around her. "Please, Leila," she begs. "Do it this once at least."

danny4rest

Daniel looks at Arya "Are you alright?"

Millarz

Arya snaps her head up at the voice. "Who said that?" she demands. She squints her eyes as her vision pops in and out of focus. She stares at the man for a few moments. The clogged cogs in her brain slowly turn and at last recognition sets in and she pulls out the man's name. "Oh, Danny boy. Oh I'm fine, I think. Just need... bacon." She drops her head again. The sudden movement of her head had intensified her dizziness.

danny4rest

Bacon? Why...
Daniel rummages through his rations and pulls out some meat that was salted for preservation.
"This is preserved bacon, but bacon all the same, Do you want it?"
Daniel holds it out.

Tokilin

Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

"Bacon? Didn't you have any left over? I thought you had some from the alchemists house. You reall need to start carrying a better supply." Aila had turned and answered Arya when she had said her name. She could have sworn Arya had said something else before her name, but changed it quickly. In the end, it was Arya's fault for not carrying more bacon. Hopefully whatever Daniel had would be enough to sate her rare and odd disease.

Millarz

Arya weakly grabs for the bacon and nibbles on it. "Thank you," she says as she stands more upright. She felt better, but still off. That's strange. Usually it goes away right away after she eats bacon. "Alright then," she says with false energy. "Let's get going!"

danny4rest

Daniel frowns slightly before going to look around the immediate outside of the chest-hole.

Blade7737

Kirito comes running up to the group "oh god i couldn't you i don't like caves that is horrible"

sry just coming back into game from a long grounding

furryoldlobster

Aiden, tired of hanging out in this false chest-hole, jumps up the ladder and joins just about everyone else.  Harold, meanwhile, grabs what he can of Gerald and does his best to drag him up too.  It seems, although Harold has given up on saving his friend, he believes Gerald deserves a proper burial.  He's obviously very anxious.  Whatever halved his friend could be nearby.

This cave is quite expansive.  Please go back a read description.  You aren't outside of it at all.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Seeing that the group was going no where without some direction, Arya brings up the original reason they were out here in the first place. "So, with everything that's been going on around here, we're forgotten what we're even looking for. We still need to find out who blew up the guild and put a stop to them. What was it you said about that clue, S'kavara?"

danny4rest

Did she really just try to go back on their quest before helping me? How low...
Daniel whipped around with a scowl on his face "Are you trying to fool me or have you forgotten that the only reason I am here is that you said you would help me after this little distraction?" Daniel states accusingly.

furryoldlobster

Aiden, remarkable tacit for most of the trip, chuckles to himself.  These fools will destroy one another before they discover what actually happened.  The fire-mage couldn't care less though.  The Shaded City guild is not his, nor S'kavara's guild.  Do these guildies even know the two felines (well one feline and one anthro panther...but you get the picture) are from a rival guild?  The two have hidden their guild's emblems, but Aiden naps...a lot.  Who knows what S'kavara divulged.  The mewling will have to find a moment to surreptitiously speak to him. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

"Right. Sorry," Arya says, this time not faking more energy than she has. "With everything that's gone on, Colfar d- leaving us, and my brain still being a tad foggy, I'd forgotten. We shall go get your companion back now. I trust you know the way back if you got here by yourself? We had Colfar leading us and now he's unable to help us. I mean, we could get back on our own, but extra assurance as to the correct way to go is appreciated."

zerokiriyu

Hearing Aiden chuckle made him think about answering. Most likely Aiden chuckled about us being from a guild that was excited to see theirs gone. With that, he begins walking towards the cave entrance to leave. He no longer wished to be a part of this group.

Zero-

Millarz

Arya sees S'Kavara start to leave the cave. She considers calling back to him, but then decides against it. She was not in a state to convince anyone to stay nor did she think it was best to do so if he truly did not want to be there. There is something fishy about him anyways, and it isn't the fish he ate. "So long, S'kavara," she calls out instead. "It was nice to party with you."

zerokiriyu

He turns back and looks at the woman. After a scowl, he turns and walks out the cave. He begins heading north-west.

Zero-

furryoldlobster

Harold does his best to drag his friend along the way.  When the gang finally reaches the end of the cave, S'kavara's already on his way.  Its dark out.  Moonlight bounces off the nearby lake, but it's not nearly enough to light the way for those with normal vision.  The clearing in front of the cave looks just as it did before, albeit quite a bit darker.  It'll be another six hours until daylight breaks. 
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Daniel looks around before coming to a decision
"It would be foolish to travel at night, I tried and got attacked by wolverines. Lets sleep untill morning then go back."

furryoldlobster

"Seems wise enough", adds Aiden.  "Hey S'kavara!" Aiden does his best to yell at the Anthro Panther.  "Why don't we stay here the night, and take off in the morning"

The mewling surveys the land for the perfect campfire spot.  Once satisfied, Aiden readies himself and pounces on the ideal location, attempting to create a massive fireball in his wake. 

Firestarter
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Aiden's fireblast expands far beyond his original target and nearly hits anyone with a few feet.  Aiden, himself singes half of his fur in an attempt to retreat from his own pyrotechnic creation.  He questions his own power as this has never happened before.  How could this happen?

Spell causes 15 strain on Aiden

~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Daniel sits down eats some of his left over rations before settling down to sleep.

Tokilin

Aila watched the playful kitten jump around and create magnificent flames, until the flames seemed to explode. It was almost as if his power was magnified. Aila was certain the Fiery Kitten knew what it was doing and could control it's powers. Her eyebrows came together in thought. "Something is certainly weird about this area. Why don't you mages try out a spell or two? Surely something might come of it. Don't do something like mind reading, try something more physical like conjuration. I have a theory this area is more special than we thought..." Aila waited for a response from one of the two mages.

Millarz

"Mages aren't the only ones with spells, you know," Arya points out. She faces towards the open area beyond the cave and puts her hand out, palm facing the ground. Concentrating her energy onto her hand, she closes her eyes. When she opens them again, she (hopes to) find a wolf in the flesh next to Mayar himself.

Summon Nature's Ally I
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Arya's attempt to summon an ally goes horribly and terribly wrong.  Instead of a wolf in peace with its summmoner, three very upset wolverines appear opposite the group, backs to the lake.  They mean harm.  With just a few snarls, they manage to separate the group.  One wolverine corners Kirito and Aiden, while the other two attempt to control the rest of the group.

Not only does her spell misbehave, but Arya is completely drained of mental stamina!  It seems all the walking around in the cave didn't regenerate strain like it should have!

Spell causes 1 strain on Arya
Arya inflicts 7 damage on herself

Name: Arya               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 20/27                                     Dex: +3    Int: 0
Strain Points: 0/14                                      Wis: +1    Cha: 0
Armour Class: 16                                           Luk: 19

Battle Order Group 1
Daniel, Zeeto, Arya, Aila, Harold, Wolverine 1, Wolverine 2

Battle Order Group 2
Kirito, Aiden, Wolverine 3

This means both battles happen simultaneously.  Battle Group 1 is independent of group 2.  Kirito doesn't have to have for anyone other than aiden and wolverine 3 after his turn.  The same applies for group 1.  Doing the two separate battles going on here for several reasons.  1.  I don't know how much time Kirito has online.  2) To see if simultaneous battles would even work. 
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Daniel growls out "I was trying to sleep you stupid beasts"
He leaps forward with a roar axe in hand to attack wolverine 1
Axe vs Wolverine
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Axe vs. Wolverine
HIT

Daniel swings his two handed axe, coupled with his beastly roar, and hits the creature!

7 damage inflicted on wolverine 1

Battle Order Group 1

Battle Order Group 2

This is a rare combat correction.  Daniel should be receiving a +6 to hit with melee weapons and therefore would have hit the monster.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Zeeto starts suddenly, and draws his Khopesh. He runs at the nearest Wolverine, and swings his Khopesh in a deadly arc; targeting the creature's neck.

Deadly Arc?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Deadly Arc against Wolverine 1
HIT

Zeeto swings his mighty curved blade, striking downward on the animal's neck. 

7 damage inflicted on Wolverine 1

Battle Order Group 1

Battle Order Group 2
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya looks at the wolverines and laughs, partly to mask the pain the spell caused her. "Oh now the spell works, does it? Let's see how powerful these puppies are!" Once again, she attempts to shoot an animal in the eye. Hopefully it works this time. She hasn't gotten a bull's eye yet. Or... wolverine 1's eye in this case.

Shoot
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Shoot
HIT

Arya's arrow just glances a branch causing it to veer off-course and miss the wolverine's eye; instead, it impacts just above the creature shoulder. 

2 damage inflicted on Wolverine 1

Battle Order Group 1

Battle Order Group 2

I had to double check, but Arya gets a +5 to hit with her shortbow.  +3 due to dex, +1 for ranger class, +1 from point blank shot.  Nice build, Millarz!
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Judging from the looks of things, Arya didn't mean to summon vicious wolves. There must a catalyst in, or around, the cave that is causing magic to go overboard. Surely something like that must be worth money. Lots of it. Aila examined her surroundings, looking more particularly towards the cave area.

Spot Check:
For now, it seemed as though Aila had a different goal. Dealing with some over-sized puppies brought upon the group by a "magic" user. Brandishing her blades, Aila used the good ol' "arrow in the shoulder" distraction and charged the wolf hoping to slice off it's legs, or one of them at least.

Flurry of Blows:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila sees absolutely nothing new about the cave area.  Possibly even less than she knew before!!

Her attempts to slash at the beast are even more short-lived than her spot attempt.  She stumbles on her way to attack only to, barely avoid stabbing herself during her own arrow routine, and then miss on every other strike. 

Battle Order Group 1

Battle Order Group 2

Harold, in all his wisdom, drops his former friend, and attempts to run...away.

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13

Ridiculously busy day tomorrow.  I'll do my best to finish this battle update...but it's a big one
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Not long after he separated from his former "allies", S'kavara is stopped by two figures in green who tell him to remain put if he wants to live.  They quickly leave the anthro panther and head to the cave. 

Wolverine 1 easily pounces on the escaping illusionist.  Rears its right paw, revealing a set of claws. 

"Wait", booms a voice from the woods to the east.  The Wolverine stops to turn around.  It runs into the forest towards the voice, quickly followed by its brothers. 

Out of the foliage approaches two men.  The taller of the two wears a dark navy blue cloak shrouding any facial features.  He carries a staff with some sort of faux serpent as the end.  There looks to be a small green orb of some time in the decorative creature's mouth.  The shorter of the two men is immediately recognizable.  Its Uggo!  Believe it, or not, he's looked better.  His skin now contains hues of dark blue, with contrasting patches of green.  A dark ooze drips from whatever orifices present themselves.  Its clear Uggo faced the same fate as his undead allies.  "We need them alive...for now", wizard speaks.  "but make sure he doesn't go anywhere".

Uggo quickly runs at the prone subject and swings his scythe in a downward fashion, staking Harold to the ground. 

"Now", he starts.  "Where is the anthro panther?" 

"He's not here.  And you won't find him" shouts another voice, this time from the western foliage.  Two figures approach.  Both men wearing similar dark green tunics with emblems on the right chest.  All members of the Shaded City believe the emblem to be from another guild, but its tough to say at this moment.  The symbol on the emblem looks to be a some sort of tree...possibly an oak. 

"Leave this place, Ashyk.  There is good reason why Elron and I declined this mission.  No gold is worth this", speaks one of the men.  He's a six feet tall human, has medium length dark brown hair, and a slim, tall face.  A single birthmark, no bigger than a nail's head, on his right jawline is his lone distinguishing feature.  He holds some sort of sabre in his right hand. 

The other figure remains tacit for now.  He, like Ashyk chooses to keep his face hidden using a hooded cloak.  His weapon of choice looks to be a simple wooden staff*.   

"Always the hypocrite, master.  Both you and your new favorite student.  Besides Who says this is all about gold.  A person needs to have fun.  So have it your way."  He signals Uggo, who with a quick stab of his scythe, incapacitates Harold. 

Elron and his teammate jolt forward, but soon hesitate. 

"ah ah ahh.  You didn't say the magic word!  You know spells won't work near me.  Do you think you can possibly stop me this time?"  Ashyk unleashes a laugh both cackling, and yet bellowing. 

"I'm sorry to bring you lot in on this.  I hoped to deal with him without endangering any of you, but now that seems impossible", states the sabre armed man.  "My name is Xavier, and I'm here to help".   

The wolverines pounce from their hide, separating them into groups. 

Group 1

Aila, Zeeto, Wolverine 2

Group 2
Arya, Daniel, Ashyk, Elron, Uggo, Xavier, Wolverine 1

Group 3

Sorry all about the entirely too long hiatus.  This battle will be an excuse to try out the simultaneous battle scenario I tried to attempt before.  You may only attack an enemy within your group.  Once you dispatch all enemies in your group, you may choose another group to aid.  I hope I explained well enough.  Good luck

*Yes...its oak

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Oh my freaking goodness I just wrote my response then x'd out of the window before submitting it.

What is going on here? Why did that man just kill Harold? Who are these people? Arya's brain sears in her skull. It's residual pain from summoning the wolves that is only made worse by the mental effort of figuring out what the heck is going on. The ranger makes an executive decision to deal with one problem at a time to reduce mental stress, so the girl turns from the group of strangers and back to the wolverine in front of her. Once again, she draws her bow, but she stops short of letting go. She summoned these wolverines, no? They should [/i]be her allies. Arya slings the bow back over her shoulder and crouches down so her face is level with the wolverine's. She stretches out her left hand threateningly to the closest beast and says, "Shh, shh. I'm sorry for hurting you, big guy. I won't hurt you again. Just stop fighting." She weaves a subtle hint of honey into her words and looks deep into its eyes. All the while, her right hand twitches as it hovers over her sheathed dagger as a precaution. Arya is willing to take a chance on these wolverines; that doesn't mean she is suicidal.

Roll for whatever happens
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

"Just walk away, Ashyk", requests Xavier.  "These people are not your enemy"

"Of course not", retorts Ashyk.  "But that doesn't mean this can't be fun".  Its clear, Ashyk's only intention revolves around death, or something close to it. 

The banter between these men causes far too much distraction as they fail to notice Arya creep next to the wolverine.  Her investigation reveals only horror.  The ranger is far more in-tune with nature, and all her children, than her allies.  She immediately feels the pain of a creature imprisoned.  While she may have called these beasts, its clear something else has a violent hold over them.

Group 1
Aila, Zeeto, Wolverine 2

Group 2
Arya, Daniel, Ashyk, Elron, Uggo, Xavier, Wolverine 1

Group 3

I've counted Arya's action as a spot check, so its still her turn within Group 2.  She may wait, or attack something.
~ cinema sign.