Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

The Shaded City Mystery

Started by furryoldlobster, February 26, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

A moment after he releases the apple, Daniel hears the result.  "Ow",  responds one of the voices.  "Gerald, they're throwing stuff at us now.  You never said, this was a possibility"

"Don't say my name out loud, Harold!", snarks the second voice.  "Now you down there!  Everyone turn around and face the wall".  The voice pauses a beat, then continues.  "Are you turned around yet?   

Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

These dress-up ninjas are the worst guards Arya has ever seen. Ayra backs into a shadowy part of the room by the ladder and takes out the rope from the pack the general store owner had given her. She ties it in a slip knot so it would act as a lasso and prepares to sling it over whoever came down first. "Yes, we're facing the wall. Please don't hurt us!" she pretends to whimper, all the while rolling her eyes.

I'm so scared
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]

Nab that ninja!
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

"You stay here, Gerald.  I'm going to take a look first".

Upon stepping down just one bar, Arya easily snares the appendage, and connecting body.  His face smacks every ladder step along the way and is subsequently knocked unconscious.  A quick glance and the group sees this man is no older than twenty and is armed with nothing more than a medium sized staff.  "Harold!  Did you slip?  You forgot to wear gloves again, didn't you!  You know ladders are hard!  The rest of you, stay where you are....or else!"

Another leg appears from the chest-hole on its way down, but very curiously, stops on the first step.  Nearly a minute passes, and there's not word one from the unmoving figure.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Name: Aila Drakesberth               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 23/26                                        Dex: +2     Int: +0
Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2
Armour Class: 14                                            Luk: 15

Aila was watching the two "ninjas" interact with the others. It was obvious they weren't a threat, so in response Aila turned towards the bedroom she had opened. Walking inside, she began to look around and examine the various objects in the room. "Why was a house in a cave?" she though to herself. "Why such an odd chest-door to get in?" Was the though afterwards.

Spot Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]

Sorry, I thought I made this post earlier but I must have dreamed it up or something. I was waiting for a response on the spot check ^^;;;
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

danny4rest

Daniel glances at the leg on the first rung and slowly creeps toward it before leaping for it.
Grab attempt
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila's Bedroom Spot Check

As the ladder bound appendages keep everyone in suspense, Aila takes a look at the bedroom.  Everything seems normal in here until something catches her eye.  Its subtle, but one of the mattresses looks off.  It's oddly lumpier than the rest. 

Meanwhile, Daniel and Arya investigate the oncoming descendant.  He still hasn't moved when, upon their approach, blood begins flowing down his boots. 

Daniel's Leg Grab
SUCCESS

Without much hesitation Daniel nabs the man by the left boot and pulls down.  Down tumbles two legs, connected to the lower half of the man's torso.  The rest of him follows just a moment later, landing on Harold.  It seems the man was cleaved clean in half!!  The gang heard no sound from either the assailant, nor his victim. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

So much for looking away when Colfar's head lolled on the ground. Arya has a little baby barf come up after the half of the body comes crashing down. For a ranger, Arya's really queasy when it comes to dead human body parts. "Ugh, well I'm following Aila to get away from this bloody mess. You guys deal with..." At a loss for words, Arya gestures to the tied up man and the red-soaked torso and says, "...that." Trying not to look too much at the cleaved section of the second man, Arya goes and finds Aila to see what she is doing.

danny4rest

What the...
Daniel turns to the rest of the party before saying "Do any of you have any experience with traps? I don't think we should go up there if no one does..." He takes one look at the halves of the man and grimaces.

furryoldlobster

Harold comes to at the sight of half of Gerald.  A scream that anyone would presume came from a seven year old girl blares out of Harold followed by the question, "What did you do to him!?"
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

The unfamiliar scream makes Arya whirl around in her spot and run back to the entrance. She hadn't expected the man to come to so quickly. "None of us did anything. He was on his way down when he stopped and just stood there and the next thing we knew, Danny here pulled down just his torso. Eugh," she shudders. "I only meant to question you and use force if necessary. You seem like reasonable folks enough. Do you know of any traps or anything that could have done this?"

furryoldlobster

"Traps?", balks the young man.  "No traps.  We were sent here to find out how to open that chest, nab whatever treasure might be inside, and maybe give you a good pant soiling scare".  Harold trembles at the sight of his former friend and attempts to slide the pieces together.  "If we sew him up well enough, do you think he'll pull through?" 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

S'kavara looks at the two pieces of the guy.I do believe, that such an action would be a failure."
Zero-

Millarz

Arya shakes her head and sighs. These people were stupidly innocent. Who would send these incompetent wizards or sorcerers out on such a task? "I'm terribly sorry for your loss in that case," she mutters to Gerald or Harold or whichever one wasn't dead. "Please, next time don't intimidate a large armed party trained in combat. None of killed your friend, but if you pulled anything somewhat suspicious, I was about to." She briefly considers asking him for more information on the chest, but decides against it. Any information from him is unreliable if he thinks sewing two halves of a person will save him. Instead, she asks, "Who sent you?"

Tokilin

Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

Aila didn't see what Arya turn around but she was happy she did. Aila eyes were fixed on the prize. She walked over to the bed and felt it, getting a good sense for how deep whatever it was in the mattress and pulled out her dagger, slicing the mattress open carefully to avoid hurting whatever was inside. At this point, she was entirely oblivious to the things around her with something completely unknown right in front of her.

Roll for Good Measure
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

"Some racist armorer.  He told us to wait at the cave until an tall, unseamly stripper elf, a ranger, a gnome, and a milk seeking Manther arrive.  He'd give us a share of the treasure.  Believe it or not, we're some of the best thieves around.  I cast my illusions, and Gerald enchanted these amazing shoes that leave almost no prints or sound".

Meanwhile Aila, slices open the mattress revealing for what she's been searching:  treasure!  Four coin purses, two gold goblets, and an intriguing, but empty, waterskin scatter the inside of the bedding.  Inside each coin purse are ten gold pieces. 

Zeeto and Arya feel strangely weak.  They should have recovered some of their spell concentration by now, but for unknown reasons, have not. 

~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila stuck two of the gold purses into her pocket, leaving the other two in plain sight and picked up the water skin. "Why would you stash a water skin with golden items?" She thought. Pointing the opening away from her, Aila opened it. Turning the skin back to her, she sniffed the opening, hoping to identify the previous contents.

zerokiriyu

No longer interested in the happenings of this room, S'kavara follows the young girl into the other room. After seeing her sniff the water skin he can't help but ask."What are you doing?"
Zero-

furryoldlobster

A good sniff reveals the waterskin's last contents didn't have much of an odor.  In fact, upon closer inspection, one finds it still contains water.  Plenty of it too!  Any circumstance dictates this water should have long evaporated.  How could it still be here? 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Gold: 22, 5 SP                                                       Wis: +0    Cha: +2

Aila didn't even bother looking at the animal as he walked in. "Just stuff." She replied, obviously not interested in the cat's appearance. Thinking back to when she had first picked up the water skin, hasn't it been empty? It was suddenly full of water when she'd opened it. Aila set the golden cups on the bed upright, and then filled both with water. She emptied the rest of skin on the floor/bed and then closed the skin. It couldn't do what she thought it did, could it? Waiting a bit with the empty skin in her hands, she picked up the remaining two bags of gold. "Found some gold, wanna split it?" She said a smug look on her face.

While waiting for S'kavara's answer, she re-opened the flask.

zerokiriyu

S'kavara notices the smug look. He figured she had already pocketed some of it. After all, the girl was clearly a thief. Which lead him to thinking about how stupid the rest of her group could be. It was at that time that a flash back popped into his head. A burning house stood, though it wouldn't for long, behind a figure laying in the grass. It was an animal spread out and tangled. The creature was dead. He could feel the tears that ran down his face that day.  A saddened look crossed his face, only for a second. He caught him self and removed such a look. He hoped that the girl didn't notice. Snapping back to what was happening he held out his hand towards her. "I think we should take it all, because those idiots wouldn't even know what to do with such gold." He tried to speak as he always had, but his mind was clouded with that flash back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero-

Tokilin

Gold: 32, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

A fake gasp left Aila's lips. "All of it?! But that would be cruel to the rest of the group!" Aila said, sarcasm dripping from her voice. "As if we'd be able to get away with something like that." She finished, tossing a bag to S'kavara and pocketing the other. She was hoping that the golden cups and these chalices would be enough to suffice as a partial treasure. Who knows, the cups might be worth some good gold. She was thoroughly interested in this water skin though.

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

Zeeto was so exhausted he just sat there and stared for a long time. When he finally snapped out of it, he saw two halves of some stranger on the ground. Daniel was holding on to one half for some odd reason. He noticed S'kavara walking in to the other room, and Aila was missing. She must be in there too. Zeeto noticed there was another man as well. This one was live though, unlike his friend. "What happened to him?" Zeeto asked, gesturing at the top half of the cleaved man.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

zerokiriyu

He pockets the bag. He would check it later. He looks back at the girl. She was focused on the water skin."What is so interesting about the skin?"

Zero-

Tokilin

Gold: 32, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

"Not sure, I'm trying to figure it out. It was in with the rest of the golden stuff, so surely it must do something. My current guess is that it re-fills itself. Magically of course." Aila stated, not taking her eyes off of the skin. "Who knows, it might not even do anything. Either way, I'm getting a water skin out of this."

zerokiriyu

"If you are rite, then that will be the most valuable object you've found.

Zero-

furryoldlobster

Aila reopens the flask to see it has refilled itself with more water!  However, Aila successfully hides any effects from the Anthro Panther.  She may reveal this information to S'kavara if she feels he is worthy. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila was right! Surely this flask refilled itself, oh how much this could be worth. Aila looked at her surroundings. "What was a skin so valuable doing in a place like this?" She thought. She closed the skin and put it into her bag, and began to search the room. There had to be a reason for it to be here.

Search!

zerokiriyu

Seeing her begin searching the room, he decides to look as well.

S'kavara's search.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

Aila takes another look around the bedroom until her eyes land on the empty, open chest  at the end of the alley of beds.  She approaches the absolutely normal chest and begins thoroughly investigating the object to the point of collapsing inside it!  The lid manages to close and latch itself on top of the rogue, locking her inside, with her valuables and all. 

S'kavara observes the entire affair.  He ignores the locked rogue-in-a-box for now, and instead checks out every other mattress.  Unfortunately each one appears normal, and upon pressing his paws on them, reveals they hide no treasure.  S'kavara ends in front of the closed chest.  Its not locked per say; rather, the latch just seems to have folded itself into a ready to be padlocked position.  Regardless, Aila will not be able to get herself out. 

Meanwhile, Harold, still attempting to bring his friend together, responds to the elf.  "Something up there did this to Gerald"
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

"Have you noticed anything suspicious around here lately?" Zeeto asks the man.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

zerokiriyu

He leans down and knocks on the chest.

Zero-

Tokilin

Aila wasn't impressed. It was obvious she was in the trunk, and S'kavara was just playing around. Boy did she find this cat annoying. Rather than acknowledging the Cat with her voice, she simply knocked back.

Millarz

Arya had spaced out for a moment, feeling a slight wave of dizziness signalling she should probably have more bacon soon. It would have to wait. She shakes the feeling off and reacquaints herself with the present. A quick visual scan tells her that two of her party members are missing, and it just so happens that the two happen to be the most suspicious of all of them: the Manther and Aila. It appears she was right to feel strangely about Aila's new attitude. This disappearance is unusual at best. The girl decides to go and look around for the two possible miscreants.

Where oh where have cat and elf gone? Oh where oh where could they be?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]
Yes, I know she's a half elf.

furryoldlobster

Arya hears the rhythmic back and forth tapping in the only adjoining room.  That must be where those hooligans two went!

well....she finds one of them; S'kavara stands in front of the lone chest in the room, from inside which the knocking is emanating.  She looks around to see 6 beds with linenless mattresses.  The one to the far right, and next to S'kavara, has been sliced open, revealing a handful of gold and silver cups and chalices.  The mattress is also quite damp. 

Gross....

Meanwhile, Zeeto and Harold continue their conversation.  "Suspicious?", asks Harold.  "Suspicious how?"
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

What was that? Was that footsteps? Aila listened carefully to see if there was someone else in the room with S'kavara.

Listen Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]

Zito

"Have you seen anyone else around here? Anyone at all? Have there been any signs of recent activity? Last of all, did you actually find any treasure anywhere?" Zeeto asks the man. He's suspicious of the man still, and attempts to see through any lie the man tells.

Lie Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

danny4rest

Daniel follows Arya to the room, his eyes lock on the chest and he goes to open it.

furryoldlobster

Aila definitely hears someone else enter the room.  They don't sound at all heavy; its probably not Daniel or Zeeto. A moment after that, she does hear the heavy footsteps of a large figure.  A few seconds later the roof lifts off her small prison.  Her savior?  Daniel. 

Harold thinks back.  "There was a man who passed us at the cave's mouth yesterday.  Gerald thought it was odd, but I didn't think much of it.  He asked what we were doing there.  I created my warrior illusion, you know, to scare him off.  Only the illusion didn't work right.  They were far too large, and then after the man smirked and left....they shrank to the size of coins.  What does that mean?"
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila pouted, sitting up from her chest. "This was all his fault." Evil thoughts began to swarm in her head about the Cat. She'd get him back, and it'd be soon. Aila discretely dropped the 3 bags of gold into the chest from her sitting position. She may have to split the gold with the others, but he'll be discriminated against. "The Cat and I opened this chest to find four bags of gold. He took a bag and pushed me in!" Aila's face stilled remained in it's pouting state. She was serious about being upset at the Cat and the chest incident.

Can she lie?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila's Lie Attempt
SUCCESS

Aila is convincing in both her innocence, as well as the Anthro Panther's guilt.  What is her game?!

All eyes point at S'kavara, but the group still has three coin purses to split amongst themselves. 
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

"What was the point of putting someone in a chest and not locking it? especially if said person had people who would help them nearby." Daniel said frowning.
these people...

Millarz

Arya puts her hand on her hip and draws her mouth into a line. "That wasn't very nice, S'kavara," she admonishes lightly. A small upward curve of her lip betrays the fact that she is secretly amused by the act. Not trusting the character of either of them, Arya asks, "So, this is all you found in the extended time you were missing in action? I'd expect more than that from you two. I thought you were highly observant seekers." So what if she was trying to bait the truth of of them? It wasn't illegal. The ranger didn't really care much for excessive gold, but she did want enough for good equipment and supplies.

Egg em on
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote]

Tokilin

"I'm just glad you guys got here quick... he was probably going to lock it. Whether or not he has a lock and key is a different question. I sliced open that bed over there because it looked lumpy, there wasn't much in it. Just a few cups and a water-skin. Probably someone's last drink or something." Aila stood up and showed the water skin she had picked up. "I'm a little lacking in the water carrying department, so I grabbed this to fill later." She put the water skin away. "So have we found out anything interesting about this 'cave'? It's a little odd for a bedroom to be in a deep dark cave with a trick chest as the doorway."

Millarz

Arya narrows her eyes. "This place is deserted. How could there be water lying around? What did you do, pee on the bed?"

Tokilin

"I dumped the contents out to be safe. I didn't know what exactly was in the skin, but there are a serious of various poisons in the world. I'm sure there are odor and colourless ones as well. I was being safe." Aila finished. "So if this gold and the cups are all that is here, perhaps we should leave?" Aila walked into the room with the split body. Her mouth went agape at the sight. "I certainly... missed something when I was locked in the chest."

Millarz

Out of curiosity, Arya goes to sniff the bed to see what the contents of the water skin might have been. She hopes it wasn't pee. Or poison. That would probably be worse.

Sniff
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Still attempting to suture his friend, Harold yells at Aila, "I'm trying to save a man! Are you going to help, or not!?"

Meanwhile, Arya uses her self anointed super-sniffer status and tests her skills.  The substance is indeed odorless.  If she had to guess, it's water.  Regular water.   
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Zeeto thinks for a minute. "Hm. I'm not sure what that could mean, He could have seen through your illusion and bent it to his own will. Only a very powerful Sorceror can do that. Do you think you could explain this to my allies here?" He answers the man.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Aila walked over to the ladder and peered up the hole, making sure to not be directly below it. For someone to be cleaved into pieces like that was certainly a sign of strength. Or magical power. She was still new to magic and didn't know it's limits.

Spot Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

There's nothing above that gives Aila the impression of danger.  Of course...it's tough to tell in a chest-hole. 
~ cinema sign.