Main Menu

The Shaded City Mystery

Started by furryoldlobster, February 26, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokilin

Name: Aila Drakesberth               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 23/26                                        Dex: +2     Int: +0
Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2
Armour Class: 14                                            Luk: 15

Well, she felt bad about pushing him that hard. It was only supposed to be a "playful" push into the door, turns out she's got more strength than expected. Aila eyed the room suspiciously and pulled a torch from her pack. Lighting the torch, Aila tossed it into the room to illuminate it a bit better. She then proceeded to eye the edges, floor, ceiling, and corners of the room. Last thing she wanted to do was walk into a booby-trapped room.

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila's Spot Check
SUCCESS

Aila unnecessarily throws her torch into the already lit room.  Regardless, she doesn't spot anything remotely suspicious in the room.  The chest itself is about two feet by four feet by one foot.  Its base paneling is made of metal painted deep red, with additional metal lining the edges decoratively in gold paint.  No wonder the armorer said it couldn't be moved.  This entire chest is made of metal!
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

The fact that Colfar's corpse is animated despite his death urks Arya. What is controlling him? Is his soul still there, or is it something else? "I'm going to check on Colfar's soul," Arya says to her party. "This whole situation doesn't sit right with me." She had planned to go to the spirit world right after the battle with the spiders, but the former oaf had distracted her. Arya mentally scolded herself for forgetting her friend in his last moments. With Mayar's graceful leap into her hands, she dove into her personal entrance into the spirit world.

To the spirit world!
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

Spirit Jump
SUCCESS

Arya transports herself into the parallel world of the spirits.  She's immediate shocked when she looks at the half-ling.  He's being held up and directed by strings as if a marionette puppet, except the strings look like jet black, oozing spider's web.  The "webs" seems to ascend from above the ceiling.  Suddenly, out of nothingness a shadow rushes in front of her and violently pushes her from the spirit world, back to the world of the living.

Spirit world travel causes 3 strain on Arya

Name: Arya               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 27/27                                     Dex: +3    Int: 0
Strain Points: 1/14                                      Wis: +1    Cha: 0
Armour Class: 16                                           Luk: 19

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya falls to the ground with an oomph. Her body shakes from the sudden cold shock of sudden deportation from the spirit world. That is not supposed to happen. That is NOT supposed to happen. Something else shouldn't be able to connect to the living world from the spirit world as she can, especially something as purely evil as whatever that thing is. She gasps and wheezes out, "Guys.. Colfar.. The spirit... The spirit that controlled the demented wolf... it's puppeteer Colfar! I think this is a trap! That thing... booted me from the spirit world."

Tokilin

Gold: 2, 5 SP                                                        Wis: +0    Cha: +2

Aila looked back at Arya. "Of course it's a trap, there's treasure involved. As far as I can see, the room is safe. I think we should be cautious though..." Aila looked back into the room. It looked safe enough, but surely a room like this in a dark dreary cave with a nice looking chest on a pedestal doesn't come without risk. Aila pondered a bit more. She looked back at the Halfling, still prostrate from her "gentle push". A smirk came across Aila's face. No one had a problem with her little push earlier, she probably wouldn't get scolded. Besides, she's sure it was always the little Halflings dream to fly. Aila began to muster her strength and attempted to pick up Colfar's small body and hurl him at the chest.

Throw:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Fly, Half-ling.  Fly
SUCCESS

Once again, Colfar soars through the air by means other than his own.  His tiny torso impacts the metal case with a deep and solid thud.  A closer inspection of the chest reveals the air-born cleric did little to damage it.  Aila notes two keyholes, opposite one another on the sides of the container. 

1 damage inflicted upon chest
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Success! The Halfling flew! Aila was a bit more secure about stepping into the room. Although whatever trap could be in this room might not react to dead Colfars. Aila breathed a large sigh. She wanted to play with the chest, but it was over there. looking back at her group for only a moment, Aila stepped into the room cautiously. Listening intently to the various things a room could make upon her entrance. By the lords above, she was hoping it would stay silent, generally bad things are noisy.

Listen Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]

Millarz

Slowly recovering from her wheezing, Arya gathers herself up off the chilly, rocky cave floor. "You don't understand," she says. Her voice wavers slightly at the thought of this Thing that keeps following them. "The trap- It's IN Colfar. Whatever spirit that is controlling him is the foulest and most powerful spirit I have ever seen and you have just thrown one of its vessels into a door and a chest." Sensing that her warning would probably not be enough to deter her party from treasure, Arya added, "Just don't let Colfar leave your sight."

Her party would not understand her fears. She knew that. There was no way they could witness first hand what that monstrous Thing could do. Not in its true form that could suffocate someone in their own fear and manipulate spirits. No, they see a walking, silent Colfar. Maybe Arya is just being paranoid. Maybe everything will turn out alright and they will all become a little bit richer. Secretly, Arya wants to disregard her own instincts and see what is inside the chest as well. She also has the gut feeling that something is inevitably going to go very wrong.

I hate typing on my iPhone. 'Scuse me for any weird typos. I already accidentally deleted half the post while writing it on this thing.

furryoldlobster

Aila's Listen Check
SUCCESS

Aila's keen ears pick up no sounds from the room.  She hears the same constant dripping bouncing throughout the cavern, but no footsteps, growling, or anything overly demonic.  Colfar continues to flop around like a fish out of water.  It seems he's either attempting to stand, or break dance.  It could go either way at this point...

~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Between Colfar's random movements and her own inspections, Aila had deemed this room to be safe enough. Confidently, she began to circle the chest, eyeing each inch of it. She knew there were two keyholes, but she couldn't pick them both if they had to be turned at the same time. She also didn't want the others to know that she had some questionable tools in her possession. They were more the goody-goody type.

Spot Check on the Chest:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]
   Having looked over the chest, Aila began to size it up, going to the point of trying to even pick it up.

Millarz

Alright. Ignore her warning, Aila. See where that gets you. Essentially recovered from her sudden ejection, Arya stands up straight. While fear still ravages her insides, outside, she tries to appear more calm and collected. The ranger studies Aila. The half-elf sure was acting strange lately, tip-toeing around the undead and playing with his body (how rude!). She resolves herself to to keeping an eye on Aila as well as Colfar for now.  The ranger inspects the half-elf and the chest further, trying to find what Aila is so intently inspecting. Arya asks, "Do you know how to open it? You seem to be the best chance we have. I'm at a loss save beating the poop out of it. Then again, Danny boy here could probably help us out with that with his experience in the field." She gives a little chuckle, more to break the tension of her nerves than to laugh at her own joke. Her eyes dart over to Colfar briefly to make sure nothing like the demented wolf has happened to their once beloved friend.

Watching Aila's inspection and Colfar's thrashing
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila's Spot Check
SUCCESS

Aila notes nothing new about the chest, but struggles in her attempt to lift the it.  She tries again, putting more effort into her attempt.  Again, the chest doesn't budge even a little.  The tough metal container seems to be bolted to the cave ground. 

Arya's Spot Check of Aila's Spot Check
CRITICAL SUCCESS

Arya intently studies Aila studying the chest.  Colfar continues to flop on the ground, only slightly more violently.  His motions are becoming more and more random as he flops on the cave floor.  As Aila investigates the chest, Arya notes the lantern hanging above.  Her eyes climb the chain from which it hangs.  The top link is not the same color as the rest!  It's quite a bit lighter.  Why could this be?   
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

"What if the key is in this room somewhere?" Zeeto suggests. He then inspects the room closely to see if it might be in plain sight.

Key Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with Colfar's body. Arya walks over to the body discreetly so as not to alert whatever is controlling the flopping halfling shell, draws the stiletto from the sheath facing away from Colfar, and in one swift movement, attempts to plunge the dagger into the body's heart. While Arya figures the key (figuratively or literally) to opening the chest lies in the hanging lantern, the chest could wait.

I feel stabby
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Zeeto's Key Check
FAILURE

Zeeto scans the entire small room for a hint of a key.  He finds none. 

Arya Feels a Little Stabby
HIT

Arya pierces her stiletto deep into the half-ling's chest.  His flesh has already decayed too much, and the ranger plunges nearly half of her arm into him by accident.  He continues to spasm, still determined even with his sudden acute case of ranger-arm-in-zombie-halfling-chest.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Dang that didn't work. This has to stop. Bracing herself from the incoming gore, she takes her bloodied arm out of the cadaver and sweeps her blade across Colfar's head, attempting to cut it off.

Now I feel slicey dicey?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

She Slices, She Dices
SUCCESS

Arya doesn't need the normal effort to decapitate this incapacitated zombie half-ling, who was already weak, even for a half-ling.  She easily separates the former ally's head from their former ally's torso as the entire group looks onward.  Losing his head seemed to finally calm Colfar into a proper eternal slumber.  He is no longer flopping about. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya slouches as the tension is released from her shoulders. Responding to her release, Mayar shakes as if a sudden burst of frigid wind had cut by him and his posture slackens. It worked, or at least she hoped it did. The Thing could possess her former friend no more. The ranger closes her eyes, blinding herself from the deed she had just completed. She wishes to remember Colfar in all his quirks and liveliness, not just his separated head. "Farewell, Colfar," she whispers. She blows a small kiss to the air with her unbloodied left hand. Maybe the little spirit can see her small gesture in her spirit form. She hopes so.

The ranger could not dwell on the past now though. Her party counts on her. Not looking towards his head, she takes a clean part of Colfar's pants and uses it to wipe her arm as best she can. She rises from her position and walks back to the chest. Raising her head to study the lamp, Arya says, "I have an idea as to how to open this chest." She says nothing further until she studies the lamp more. Is the key in the lamp? Is the lamp the key itself? Does that lamp break the chest open? Or is it none of the above?

Arya is very interested in lamps at the moment.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Lamp Check
SUCCESS

Arya studies the lamp with the utmost precision.  Its a seemingly standard oil/fat burning lantern with a square base no wider than 6 inches.  The sides are made of glass with a bronze framing on the corners leading to a bronze top connected to the chain. 

A closer inspection reveals several elements: There is no latch or opening to add fuel.  Not only that, but that doesn't even seem to be anything keeping this flame ablaze!  The lamp is sustained through other means.  Arya's visual inspection does not reveal any sort of key on or inside the lantern. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

Not seeing any obvious sign of a key, Zeeto studies the chain that the lamp is hanging from more intently.

Chain Check

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

Puzzled by the lack of an apparent key, Arya shares her discoveries of the lamp and chain to her party. "It's just strange that the lamp would be kept alight with magic," she adds after pointing out the fire. "I mean, I see that the light would run out eventually and this place isn't really kept up, but why would they keep this place lit up in the first place? It's as if-" A realization dawns upon the ranger. "They want people to find this chest, whoever 'they' is, don't they?" Her feet slap against the rocky floor as she paces in thought. "But then why is that chain newer? They must have taken down the lamp and put it back up recently. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and it has something to do with the key. Any ideas, guys?" She leaves that question up in the air as she continues to study the walls of the room.

The thought had crossed her mind that since Colfar was the one leading them into this place, they did not know how to get out. Arya does not mention this though. Why worry the group now? Whether they worry about it now when this chest hasn't been resolved or after it has does not make much of a difference. She might as well not trouble them more at the moment. 

Study the walls
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Zeeto's Chain Check
SUCCESS

Zeeto investigates the chain, one link at a time from the top of the lantern all the way up to the discolored one at the ceiling.  After a few minutes, something dawns on him.  The link up top isn't discolored at all.  It looks 'off' because every link below it has been oxidized by the humid air.  Why on earth would the top link be less affected by the elements?!

Arya's Wall Check

These walls seem to be made of some sort of stone. 

~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Well... This is an... interesting... group that i have gotten involved with. Well, lets try something out.
Daniel walks over to the lamp the elf was looking at, and tugs on it.
Tugging on lamp
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]

Zito

"The top link on the chain seems not to be affected by the humidity in here. Why would that be?" Zeeto wonders out loud, hoping his allies will chime in. IN the meantime, he attempts to detach the chain from the ceiling and take the odd link out. After Daniel finishes his tugging of course.

Chain Take?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Before Zeeto can break the top link, Daniel intervenes and pulls on the entire chain!

Chain Tug
SUCCESS

Daniel lets go of the lantern when he hears a click.  The chain then snaps up and the top link recedes into the ceiling.  After a few mechanical rumblings underneath, there's another resounding click from the chest itself.  A tiny metal bar, no bigger in length than the first section of one's thumb, expands out of each keyhole.

~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila looked up at the sudden change on the chest, her attention was fully there and was utterly surprised when it moved almost of it's own accord. Aila's innate curiosity made her act before really thinking, extending her hands to touch the new protrusions from the chest. First, she tried pulling them. If that wasn't going to work, turning, twisting, lifting, pushing, etc.

furryoldlobster

Aila's fidgeting pays off almost immediately after she pushes both protrusions into the chest simultaneously.  After another jarring click, the chest's lid opens on its own.  The gang steps forward to see, not a bounty of treasure, but a ladder, leading underneath the very ground on which they stand!  A quick peer into the abyss divulges information for those with the vision for it.  Thanks to what light the lantern offers, Aila sees the ladder's base is around 20 ft beneath the chest.  She can't tell of anything else in the lower room without descending there herself. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

The biggest, most genuine smile spread across Aila's lips. She was excited, beyond most people's comprehension. Spotting that there were no immediate dangers on the ladder and below that's to her mother's gift, Aila immediately took to the ladder and slid down, using the sides as her friction points to stop her from injuring herself on the floor. Landing at the bottom, Aila looked at her surroundings.

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

The excited Rogue dives into the depths without hesitation.  A quick scan of her surroundings reveals an unoccupied room with a single doorway opposite the ladder.  The room is 15 ft by 30 ft.  Two tables, each with an unlit lantern, and several chairs surrounding them, lay about the room.  Empty bookshelves line the entire walls.  A few other items lie on the tables including writing utensils and a few pages of blank paper.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila looked things over. Thinking back, she had never grabbed her torch from the floor of the room above. Aila walked over to the tables and proceeded to light the lanterns. Then she began to look over the papers to see if anyone else had written stuff.

Roll for Good Measure
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote]

Millarz

Arya doesn't know whether to admire Aila's boldness of her blind leap into the hole or scold her for the rash stupidity of it. No one had any idea what was down there and leaping into it could have meant sudden death for all they knew. Being that Arya hasn't heard any screaming or unfriendly sounds yet, she climbs down the ladder part way and stops. Mayar leaps down with her, going through the ladder rungs and landing on the ground. He makes the motion of sniffing around the edges of the room, though his solid nose has been long gone for years. Arya observes the crevices of the room as her glowing wolf spirit illuminates the room's extremities.

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila lights a lantern while Arya joins the rogue.  The two female party members scour the room for any clue of its use.  From the amount of dust on...everything, the gang deduces no one has been here for quite some time.  Aila investigates the papers to no avail.  There is no clue on who might have last occupied this room, or why the armorer might have sent them here. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila pick up one of her lanterns. She approached the door, looking it up and down. A simple enough door, she hoped. She reached down and attempted the door handle.

furryoldlobster

The door opens inward, dust falling from its formerly motionless home, revealing...

...a bedroom?  Well, more like a barracks.  Six linen-less beds occupy the room, three adjacent to the right wall, and three to the left.  The alley of beds leads to a large, open and empty chest. It seems whomever last occupied this area grabbed anything of any use. 

Up-top, next to the faux chest, stands Daniel, S'kavara, Kirito, Zeeto, and Aiden awaiting some sort of signal from their allies. 

"Why have you come here?", echos a deep, gnarling voice through the cavernous halls. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

After hearing the voice speak, he hops down the hole, landing on his feet as nimble as a cat. He begins scanning the room with his feline eyes before asking back. "Better question would be, why are you here?"

Room scanning.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]
Zero-

danny4rest

This is getting good now...
Daniel goes down and turns to the direction the voice echoed from
"We come for reason of our own that shan't be spoken loudly to those who hide in shadow, Show yourself and speak, so we know you be not illusion nor enemy!" He calls loudly and without hesitation.

Millarz

Satisfied that there was no imminent danger, Arya had climbed down the ladder. The hostile voice briefly makes her think otherwise, but then again, compared to the Thing, a normal monster should be a cake walk. Still, at the sound of the scratchy words, she moves her hand directly over her stiletto in preparation for a possible sudden attack. With Mayar, his luminous ghost fur bristling with anticipation by her side, she awaited the voice's answer.

furryoldlobster

After hearing the disembodied snarl, Kirito and Aiden wisely follow S'kavara and Daniel into the chest hole.  The Anthro Panther doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary about the room.  Just a moment, and several quips later, the group has a response.  "How dare you question me?", yells the menacing voice, this time from above the group and somewhere near the chest.  "Are you a deity?"
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila listened to the hostile voice, it words echoing behind her. At it's question, Aila thought about an answer. "Well, if I had to give you an answer... it would have to be that I'm here for fun. When you get stuck in the wrong areas of this world, things can get a little boring. Disembodied voices are rare though, my question is: what causes you?" Aila didn't yell her answer, but merely said it at room level. With that, Aila took a couple steps into the bedroom and scanned the area.

Millarz

"Disembodied voices aren't that rare, Aila," Arya says. "It's a basic illusion skill any magic wielder could learn. My sister learned it when she was twelve. Boy, she sure fooled us when she first started using it..." Her voice trails off as she remembers the first day her sister had used that trick on her. She had made her voice all garbled and made it whisper into Arya's ear, and her parents' ears as well. The ranger had thought she had been haunted for days by the nahzehrer that killed Mayar.

Arya's mind back in the present, she shudders at the memory. Why was she suddenly remembering her family now? Perhaps the Thing is affecting her mind. Or maybe she is just homesick. It has been five years since she left after all.

Zito

Zeeto jumps down into the hole, using the ladder to slow his descent. When he gets the bottom, he asks "So what if we are deities?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"Mortals die" booms the same voice from above the group.  The voice gives way to deep and menacing laugh, echoing from every direction around them.  The gang hears a click from both table lanterns and a thick smoke pours out of them.  Once the smoke settles, it seems three figures have appeared around the heroes.  Dressed in all black cloth, and masked, the three are armed with one katana apiece.  "You need to leave now, or this room shall be the last one you see".

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Name: Arya               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 27/27                                     Dex: +3    Int: 0
Strain Points: 1/14                                      Wis: +1    Cha: 0
Armour Class: 16                                           Luk: 19

Arya looks at the three figures and lets out a howling laugh. "You three? After what I've been through, you three boys playing ninja dress up don't scare me." Mayar leaps at the middle dress-up ninja, his body intending to go through the man's head. Hopefully the light from Mayar blinds him temporarily. It is darkish down here after all. Using that distraction, Arya whips her bow off her shoulders and threads a needle. She lets the arrow loose at point blank range, aimed straight for the middle man's heart.

Deer in the Mayar-lights

Point Blank Shot
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 14, total 14[/blockquote]

Zito

Zeeto takes the opportunity of Mayar's distraction to run at the left side "Ninja", and attempt a slice straight through his head with his Khopesh.

Slice!
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

The "ninjas" are unaffected by the incandescent canine's sudden glare, nor are they affected by the arrow...or the blade?  Both attacks go right through the warriors like they were nothing.  The ninjas seem to be nothing more than illusions.  Upon their realization, the warriors soon vanish.  "Err....Seriously though.  Leave the treasure alone!", shouts the voice, somewhat less menacing than before, but still from above near the chest.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

S'kavara looks up towards the chest. After a second pause he quickly climbs the ladder to the room above.

What shall he find?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

Zero-

Millarz

Illusions. Arya should have known. She'd been victim to illusion sisters being stuck in trees of having fun jumping off roofs. Boy, that girl could be nastily cruel when she wanted to be; those tricks near gave Arya heart attacks and the blasted girl knew it. Still, maybe the ranger ought to visit her after all these years. Arya would consider this later.

"So there's treasure here," she thinks out loud. "Well, it isn't going to find itself! I say we sweep the area together so being ambushed isn't really a problem with our numbers. What do ya say, boys and gal?"

furryoldlobster

"No", the voice continues pleading.  "Stop climbing.  I don't have any milk".  It's no use, as S'kavara is already almost to the top when *smack* something blunt hits the top of his kitty cat head forcing him to the ladder's base! 

The Anthro Panther's ears pick up another voice "What are you doing, moron!?  We need them out of there!"
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Daniel digs in his bag and pulls out an apple, which he then proceeds to throw at the spot above the chest where the voice is coming from
Apple Throw
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]