Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

aquaponics

Started by furryoldlobster, June 15, 2014, 02:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

Hello Gamers,

As you've noticed, there's been a lull in D&D.  It seems several players can't log in for this summer, so I'm going figure out a way to push the game forward. 

In other news, I'm still swamped in real life.  I'll try to respond as often as I can...

...but I've discovered aquaponics.  I think I'm in love. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Its a dual fishery and hyrdroponics system used to indefinitely produce fish, veggies, herbs, and fruit.  It combines the conventional aquaculture system (pretty much just raising fish in a tank...although certain crustaceans work too) with cultivating plants in a soiless hydroponics system (just a fancy word for cultivating plants in water). 

Fish excrete waste (ammonia specifically) through their gills and poop.  This is eventually toxic to them, so their water has to be filtered.  This "dirty" water is actually filled with nutrients on which many plants thrive.  It gets eaten by certain friendly bacteria found on rocks, and converted into nitrates and nitrites.  This is where the hydroponics system kicks in.  Several times a day, the water gets pumped to a bed of crushed stone (granite seems to be the cheapest) full of different growing plants.  Plants just thrive off of the nitrogen water.  This same water (now cleaned by the rocks and plants) goes back to the fish, who start this process all over again. 

This symbiotic system uses 1/10th the amount of water it takes to grow veggies in the ground.

This system does need electricity, which can be easily provided by an even half-decent solar setup. 

The smaller aquaponic systems require a tiny pump, which I estimate to about $16 a year.

I'm working on a quick design so one would be able to convert his or her current fishtank into an indoors herb aquaponics garden. 

...so I'm slightly distracted from the game. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

That... That sounds amazing. I really want to try that out XD

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

zerokiriyu

Well, I have no idea what you just said, furry. Put it in redneck terms....

~Zero
Zero-

Zito

Fish crap in water. Water is used to feed plants and is filtered as well. Water goes back to fish. Repeat.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

I should have a blueprint for a beta fish/gold fish tank with herbs on top done in a day or two.

~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Okay, so it's a water recycle thingy?

~Zero
Zero-

Zito

That grows plants and is also a fish tank.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Yes. It takes the downsides of aquaculture (cleaning and maintenance) and hydroponics (water and nutrient use) and makes them advantageous.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

It means i grow unlimited food with 10% of the water id normally use for traditional gardening. 

Its pretty much hypothetically solved my offgrid crop/meat situation.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

And its actually been around for thousands of years.  Rice paddies are an example of an aquaponics system.  Koi and similar fish hang out, poop ammonia into the water.  Water gets cleaned by plants and minerals, converted into nitrogen, and the fish and rice thrive.  The farmers realized they could keep a perfect homeostasis this way. 

I think Mesopotamia had some sort of floating veggie gardens...but I mix up my older cultures.   
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Who'd have thought that fish produce fertilizer eh?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Hehe.  Speaking of...

..the solid waste that gets filtered completely out of the system.

That gets used too.  Its amazing fertilizer for tubers like potatoes.  They don't do so well in a rockbed, and require soft soil. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I really do find this fascinating. It seems like it would be pretty self sufficient when set up. It also uses less water. I really can't see a downside to it.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

The initial time and monetary investment is the only real downside (well if its a big project anyway).  That and the keeping it clean.  If contaminated soil (fertilizer, pesticides, weedicide, bacteria) gets in the system, it could terminate the whole stock and plant bed.  Have to be very careful when taking out the fish (gloves, hair net, possibly mask if I want to be extra sure). 

http://portablefarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/INDIA-MUSTARD2.jpg

This lady grew  indian mustard nearly as large as her in an aquaponics setup. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Why do you have to be so careful around the fish?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Outside contaminates have the potential to upset the balance.  Keep in mind this really only become an issue if I'm handling the fish a lot.  If its Koi, or some other sort of fish I don't intend to eat, I wouldn't be interacting with the tank/fish nearly as much. 
~ cinema sign.

Clay

post links with some info on this please
and pictures!
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Zito

Ah, so you can basically use any kind of aquarium fish for it then?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Yes. But the type of plants and size of the grow bed depend on how much fish poop water your fish can make.  A small, indoor system works using 3-4 small fish meant to feed 4-5 herbs works well because the plants don't need nearly as much nutrician as larger veggies or fruits. 10 gallon tank works here.

The fish have to be vegetarian or omniviverous.  Fish that eat mostly meat don't great the same balance of ammonia.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Makes sense. I'm guessing you'd need quite a large system for a conventional garden then.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

40-50 gallon tank (doesnt have to be glass one.  Can just be  waterproof container) with maybe 10 talapia sized fish should be enough for a 6' by 10' grow bed. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Wow, that's not nearly as large as I expected you'd need.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Yeah.  Surface area is a lot more important than depth for the fish.  Its better that they have space to turn around than swim up and down. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

So just a couple feet deep, and all around the garden area is primarily what you're looking for then?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Depends on what you're going for.  A container too large, and you won't get a decent Nitrogen to water ratio; too small and the fish won't have enough room to live.

My goal is to build upwards and not horizontally, so I can use space more efficiently. 

~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Just blow up a kiddie pool, run a pipe out the side, and hose leading back in... done
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

furryoldlobster

Get your warlock Aussie magic out of my brain.

That's what I was gonna do....
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

and I thought about it for a little bit, Zeeto.  I wouldn't dig a trench for use in an aquaponics system (unless I planned on growing rice).  Fertilizer and other particulates would easily find their way to the fish, killing them quickly.  Fish like a basic environment, whereas plants like it acidic.  The goal:  a healthy halfway point. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

It's starting to sound a lot harder to do this than it did at first. Seems like you have to have the perfect balance, or it won't work.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Its not overly tough to gain and maintain homeostasis.  I've seen it done using only seashells in a mesh bag.  A little practice and you'd have it.  Testing is super easy.  Litmus paper and like 10 seconds of time is all that's needed.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Maybe someday in the future I'll give it a shot. It doesn't seem like it would work very well in the middle of a desert without being inside.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

It'd work great if you you create indirect light situation.  Two days ago, I made a small greenhouse out of clear plastic bags and pvc.  i've seen some incredible setups in traditionally terrible agriculture areas. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I guess anything is possible with a bit of ingenuity, eh?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

All I need is a rich friend who's got faith in me and my projects....
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I want one of those!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins