Tslat

Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Blaidrug

Oh good gods.
This could mean very very bad things...
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Zito

Well, I think it's a good move for Micrososft. For Mojang, not so much. Microsoft would have sole possession of Mincreaft, which would take it off of the Sony systems. That would force people to either lay it on the PC, Mac, or Xbox 360/Xbox One.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blaidrug

Oh, its an extremely smart move on Microsoft's side.
What I'm worried about is everything they'll do with it.
Starting with removing Playstation from the roster, that's an obvious first step.
But I can see them putting an end to the snapshots completely. I'd be surprised if they include the community in the development process in any way.
I can see them doing something to remove the ability host our own servers, trying to put it all on the Realms.
I'm afraid they'd do something to get rid of the open source modding altogether.

I can see a lot of problems from this acquisition, tho most of them might be fairly unjustified.

Edit: IGN did a story on this, and gave some good points, as well as foreseeable worse/best case scenarios. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/how-microsoft-buying-mojang-could-change-minecraft-forever

Zito

It's all speculation at this point tbh. For all we know, Microsoft may not end up buying Mojang after all. Or it could be a long while before the deal goes through.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blaidrug

True, neither company has said anything publically.
All we have are a few unnamed sources saying this and that. Notch has been very against the bigger corporations, Microsoft especially recently, in the past. It really doesn't make sense that he'd give in now, when Minecraft alone is generating the kind of revenue that a short term payout could far surpass.

Tslat

Not this kind of payout.. Itd take them 20 years to make it back at the current rate

2b is a big number lol
Like what you see here?

Blaidrug

Zito

Well, it sounds like there will be changes, but not too many. I think it'll all work out. Plus, Notch will be even richer after XD.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blaidrug

I'm hoping so!
Microsoft has not had the best track record with company's they buy out so far... Let's just hope they treat MC differently.

JudgeCrane

Notch going be even richer, hope he can make psychonauts 2 happen. :)
Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

Clay

Wow.. it will be interesting to watch what happens next.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Clay

http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Blaidrug

I saw that too.
This guy seems to be on the ball, and Notch was really getting to like the new CEO at Microsoft.
But, it's still Microsoft...

Hey, anyone know a good way to backup a version of Minecraft that will still work even after (worse comes to worse) Microsoft screws the proverbial donkey?

Tslat

Just don't download any updates for it
Like what you see here?

Blaidrug

Kewl!
Might even be able to still have a server going XD
So, all in all, we should be covered when shit hits the fan.

Zito

You could use the old launcher and such, I've done that to play old versions fo MC.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

For those who think nothing will change..

Microsoft bought it for 2.5 billion.
To make that back at the current rate, itd take around 20 years, far more than minecraft has even existed.
Microsoft doesnt throw money away, they have a plan that they think will make a big enough change in profits that they can make their money back
Like what you see here?