Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

spam

Started by Tslat, July 31, 2014, 01:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tslat

Quote from: Zito on July 30, 2014, 07:27:14 PM
We don't have spam on our forums :o. If you post, you post. It's not spam.

Oh and as for the spam. It IS spam.

Posting useless content on the forums for the sake of boosting numbers turns away potential people, because all they see is stuff they can't get involved in, and/or doesn't make any sense to them.

I'm sick and tired of the 'it's not spam' crap. It IS spam.
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Blaidrug

Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Clay

spam... lets see if i can convey my thoughts through text. If this doesn't make sense talk to me through voice chat.

The statement i made  that nothing on the forums is spam is to try and make people feel welcome and limit their fears of forum etiquette.
I use to go to forums and make a post similar to "whats your favorite music" and get a response similar to "we already have 3 threads about that you idiot". I searched the forum for "favorite music" and found nothing due to the weird titles ppl use on threads. 
I also have tons of "punishments" on forums due to"Spam" (on MFC if i get one more im banned).
I dont want people to be afraid of posting here, if they make a new thread about an old topic I rather merge the two topics than make a stupid remark and make them feel unwelcome.

Forum threads are like conversations. If you are in a convo with someone who gives one word answers the convo will be over shortly. if you r in a convo with someone who replies to your questions with another, thought invoking, questions the convo will go on for a while.

One word replies like "i agree" do not help the conversation out at all. you need to reply with "i agree because..."
so...
I agree = useless/"spam"
I agree because....... = holding a conversation
maybe not a great example but i hope this gets the point across.

your input is welcome but lets not get into splitting hairs on one or two examples.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Tslat

Correct in every sense of the term Clay.

I don't mean everything that's posted is spam, but I see an awful lot of one word responses for no particular reason.
Encouraging people to be active and participate is one thing, but encouraging people to post for the sake of posting with no contribution and simply to boost numbers is another.

I have my issues with 'punishments' on other boards and such too, so i'm also in the frame of mind that I would not be happy with any such system here.
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

I really don't see why everyone's getting so worked up about this. When I said the statement Tslat quoted above, I didn't mean that there is no such thing as spam. I was going by exactly what Clay explained to me quite awhile ago, and that's exactly what he explained above.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

not worked up about it at all, seriously
It came up and i just wanted to get everyone on the same page. it was taking over another thread so i split it..
its not an issue in my mind.

Zito

It isn't an issue in my opinion either. Tslat just seemed really intent on quoting me and taking my quote out of context.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

I quoted u in his post.....so we know what the new thread was about....
thats my mistake.. sorry

Zito

Ah, ok. All I know is that post looked like he was flaming me a bit :L.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins