Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

That Music Disc Farm

Started by JudgeCrane, August 18, 2013, 06:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeCrane

So I been messing around with mob mechanics on a test world so far I got a good way to separate zombies, I could easily harvest exp and items from all mobs I collect if I want to. Getting mobs to spawn and transporting them is no problem, but getting creepers to go where I want to is another challenge.

If you want to help out just give me a shout on the server this is my main priority build atm and Ill probably be working on it if you do find me.

Also another idea I have is to taunt spiders to jump off a ledge because skeletons wont and I could use pistons or snowgolems to knock skeletons off a different ledge.
I probably will have redstone clocks to keep the mob system running half the time to increase mob spawns.
I just need figure out to separate the mobs individually through each process after I get them from the spawning grounds so im not trying to separate like 100 mobs at the same time.

On paper most of this should work its just trial and error till it does.
Any advice or tips on mob mechanics and behavior will help.
Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

Zito

I am not too informed on the newer mob mechanics, so I would not be able to help much there. I might be able to help a bit if you want me to though, just ask me if you are ever on TS at the same time I am. I really like this idea though, and wish you the best of luck figuring this mess out :P

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

JudgeCrane

So general build for the spawning grounds I could make it as big as I want and as high(extra levels).
If needed I could try making it 128 long to increase the mobs in the spawner because of nearby caves or poor lighting will take up some mobs that spawn in the mob farm instead.
Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

Zito

I'm not too familiar with this type of spawner. i usually use the actually dungeon spawners when i find them. I do think that a larger area would be better though; as you said, caves, etc, will take up some of the spawns that you might get otherwise.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

JudgeCrane

Basically mobs just spawn on one of those four platforms then just toggle the water on and off to clear the trap all mobs get collected and fall down the center.
So far I figured out a way to separate all the mobs just need to test the behaviors. Still working on a way to kinda buffer the mobs so that I can separate them one at a time.

One problem I am having is spiders keep crawling up back the mob trap so maybe I could just have em go down the line a bit more with the mobs and when it comes to the buffer zone ill build a 2x2 hole that goes upwards to take the spiders somewhere else. Seeing how they are the only mobs that can travel up walls.

I really don't want to use many pistons in the mob separation only a few for buffering and shutting out mobs from traveling down the line.

Zito

Couldn't you just use signs to block them from going back up?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

JudgeCrane

Found a solution on youtube was simple to separate although they do clog one in while especially when I overloaded it with spiders which probably wont happen on survival and if it does other mobs should be able to filer through them anyway. I might just have spiders go off into a lava pit to have a easy solution or if I want to keep the items and XP just build another drop off into a wider room where they cant climb up.

JudgeCrane

Once I get it partly working im not looking for 100% ill start to excavate where I will build this machine. I will keep updating on the progress and when I have trouble.
This is partly 'show off the build', but also as a tutorial for people who may want to learn more about some mechanics of mob farming.

Clay

this is awesome. your going to put it on the server?
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Zito

I can't wait until it's done!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

JudgeCrane

Id say i got over 70% done on the day I started working on this im having trouble with the redstone and overloading the separator. Just gotta test out these kinks and it will be done. I kinda burnt myself out the 2nd day and just wanted to play survival.
I could in fact start building the mob trap now. Also could use some donations of glass or sand Id rather not tear up the desert biome like I have been doing :(

Zito

Next time I get a chance, I will see of I have any extra glass or sand.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

JudgeCrane

Im scratching this project until I fix the redstone for it or find easier process for separating mobs. On the other hand I did add a music disc farm to my skele xp farm.

So far it produces 1 disc per night I could increase that maybe to a max of 3-5 per night or build a another mob spawner to mass produce discs. I do need to upgrade the redstone to make it a little better but as of now it works fine.

Atm I got 3 music disc not obtained in dungeon chests and working on collecting them all any doubles I come across will go in spawns record shop.

I have ideas for future mob farms and may complete it another time when I have the time to work out the kinks I got really close though :)

Zito

Sounds like a plan. At least you got some form of disc farm going.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins