Main Menu

News:

Support Claytonia:   

Cults

Started by danny4rest, April 22, 2014, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny4rest

I think there should be cults, as it is unlikely realistically that all people of a race would have the same ideals and religious beliefs, so I think that there should be things like, the Human Cult of Arbor, or the Dwarf Cult of Arach, so that if someone wants to worship and have different views than the whole of the race, they can.

furryoldlobster

I like this idea.
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

It makes a lot of sense. Not all people have the same beliefs, whether they're in a different world or not.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

TigerHeart6

That's an interesting idea. That would probably make a lot of conflict with the rest of the race. They would have to be secretive..

Kathryn

This would be interesting. It might be difficult to explain it when (unlike in real life) the deities directly interact with the mortals on Valebat. In this case the cult members would likely have to lose the blessings of their deities, though, since I don't really see Varros blessing a dwarf who's worshipping Arbor (for example). I totally think this is something that could be interesting to play with, though :)

_chickadee

Why not just be that race then? I mean, I see how this would be interesting, but it would be very confusing.

furryoldlobster

QuoteWhy not just be that race then? I mean, I see how this would be interesting, but it would be very confusing.

Because the current races, even with the additions, are too limiting.  It'd make for diversity within each race. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

I've been trying to make changes to make them more diverse but i keep getting shot down by others
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

What ideas did you have in mind for more diversity Tslat?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Allpone

Yea Tslat due tell becase i cant for the life of me remember shooting anything down :P

Zito

I'm very interested in more diversity. That would make the server a lot more fun if you could actually have a bit of freedom within your race.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Allpone

Elaborate zito..

Zito

Basically, what Furry has been saying all along. The races are too limiting. The Dwarves HAVE to live in their mountain. Elves HAVE to build in trees. It leaves little room for character development. Everyone has to conform to the same ideas as the rest of the race. Have you ever thought about what it would really be like? Would every single dwarf want to live in the mountain? No. Would every single Elf want to build in trees? Probably not.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Allpone

Yes I have thought of such things and all is open for discussion you can catch me on TS. There are good reasons why living is regulated yet not all, many of the races have sub living areas you have to pick the race that fits you best.  if I let all races do as they please and live where they want and use all aspects of what minecraft has to offer then it would be the vanilla server  which is not what we are shooting for here we have a vanilla server which is wonderfull and you can live and be how ever you choose to be there

furryoldlobster

Allpone, no one said, 'let all races do what they please'.  We're asking to discuss the possibility of different belief structures within each race.  Still the same rules as a dwarf (no swords or bows, etc), but slightly different beliefs.  That way we aren't nearly so limited in story-telling.  If I would like to create a nomadic dwarf, and a huge backstory for him, then I'd like to make sure some random deity doesn't show up and negate all my work (due to silly limitations of living in a mountain).  It opens up a whole world of story-telling, which I thought was a big part of role-playing.  It doesn't mean I can suddenly use bows, or live with the elves.  It just means I don't have to limit my scenery to the mountain. 

Quoteif I let all races do as they please and live where they want and use all aspects of what minecraft has to offer then it would be the vanilla server  which is not what we are shooting for here we have a vanilla server which is wonderful and you can live and be how ever you choose to be there

No.  Vanilla doesn't have plugins.  It'd still be Role-Playing, only slightly more open-ended. 
~ cinema sign.

Allpone

Quote from: Allpone on April 28, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
all is open for discussion you can catch me on TS.

furryoldlobster

I'm pretty sure I just want to be Henry Dwarf Thoreau....write about my tales in the wilderness, and live underneath lakes.  But I'd have to be able to make temporary living situations where I'd need a bed outside of the mountain.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

I actually agree, completely with Red (furry XD).
If we allow a little more leeway on building, race rules, etc, we'd be able to have a much richer world.
Imagine we have an adventurer like that out in the world, seeing what can be seen, the world as it stands would become more alive!
Say Henry Dwarf Thoreau goes out, finds an icy cave or something, builds himself a little hut to survive, then goes off to adventure again -- telling no one of it except in his books. Firstly, exciting new stories for the libraries! Secondly, a wondrous thing to find for future explorers to find!

Especially if we go off as a community and build some great ruin or maybe even a ship buried deep in an icy.

Not only are we allowing for individual character growth, but we'd be allowing for community growth, and the growth of Valebat as a whole!
We do this, we could make a world so grand that we could take the map save and show it to the MC community for others to live in and find the fantastic fantasy that we have forged together. :3

Juuust this Forrest Golem's humble opinion.
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

furryoldlobster

Thanks Blaid. Its great to have you back on the boards. Story is exactly my point. The obvious argument to this is, why not just be human?

To this I've a two part answer.

1) So then all adventure stories would be written by humans? That seems a little boring to have all adventures from the point of view of only humans.

2) Then my name would be Henry Human Thoreau?! That makes no sense....
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Besides! With a dwarven explorer, they'd be the ones to find the grand ores of precious gems and metals, the ones that can actually mine them lol But, it would also give you the freedom to be interested in whatever works for your character.
Like a dwarf who loves animals!
Charles Dwarfin! XD

furryoldlobster

Dwarven the Exploren'   
~ cinema sign.

TigerHeart6

What do you mean there's no Dwarven explorers? Yellow_Goat is rarely at the Dwarf City. And he's the King! He's always off exploring with us. You can still have a story about exploring, but you just have a main base where you set spawn.

Allpone

furry and i had a conversation about his char and it sounds like it will be great cant wait to see you back in game

furryoldlobster

QuoteYou can still have a story about exploring, but you just have a main base where you set spawn.

And then lose all my books when a tnt hits me because I can only build a bed inside a mountain 30k meters away?! I understand your point of view, that people should build in their realms.  It's just not always ideal, especially when there's all these great ideas thrown about.  Be open minded!

Allpone and I discussed it, and Henry Dwarven Thoreau will explore the realm, and share his stories both on the forums AND in-game.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Plus, it'd give us Golems a little more fun when exploring out in the world if there are others roaming it as well. :3

Zito

Woo! Freedom! I can't wait to hear the Tales of Henry Dwarf Thoreau!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins