News:

Online Since 2012

Lanor's Solo Adventure

Started by Woodsy1995, March 18, 2014, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsy1995

Furry Said this
Meanwhile, back at the Speakeasy:

"Would ya look at this place!", exclaims Mac.  "Have you ever seen so many races brought together?  I'll tell ya why!"  Mac lifts his glass and points to it with his index finger.  "Beer!  Everyone here can forget about differences and just enjoy a good drink."  Mac takes a long sip of his pint and places it back on the dark oak tabletop.  "Now, imagine.  An entire town, every race, actually united behind something.  It starts with this delicious drink, but it ends with unity."  Mac starts his proposition, "Before we can begin this Amber Revolution, we need hops.  Lots of hops.  Netherton is the best place, but Shaded City has rules.  You'd need to find way to sneak in a few barrels of it, and we'll pay ya.  Real well too.  Whaddayasay?"

Ok, this man is clearly inebriated, but the offer seems legitimate.

Woodsy, we're trying to expand the game to include something called player controlled checks.  These include spot check, lie check, and sound check (for now at least).  A spot check would be rolled if you want to look about the room to discover something new, have a better description of the room,  or focus on particular aspects of the room.  A lie check would be to attempt to see through a lie.  A sound check would be to listen to any sounds around you, for maybe something that sounds out of place.  Check out posts on this page if you need some inspiration. http://claytonia.net/forums/index.php?topic=2333.0
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

Woodsy1995

Name: Lanor                                          Stats: STR [12]  (+1) DEX [16]  (+2)
Health Points: 7/7                                                          CON [14]  (+1) INT [14]  (+1)
Gold Pieces: 5                                                                 WIS [14]  (+1) CHA [11]  (0)
Silver Pieces: 0                                                                COM [8]  (-1)  LUCK [11]
Armor Class: 13

Lanor take a large gulp of his drink and looks around the room, Mac is right, the equality is beautiful, Lanor has always loved meeting new races, he takes pleasure in learning everything about all cultures however he is weary of new people, especially in such a Human driven town as the Shaded City, everyone that hasn't been in this bar or the guild has been a real dick to him.

"I must admit Mac, your proposition is a great one, the idea of a revolution fuelled on the good hearts of jolly men fills my heart with hope, however how am i supposed to trust you? I hardly know you or any of these people."

Lie Check on Mac
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]

Spot check on the Tavern
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Lanor's Lie Check
SUCCESS
Lanor looks deep in the eyes of Drunken Mac.  His words ring true, and as a gesture of goodwill, gives Lanor enough gold to purchase several barrels of hops with a little extra for himself. 

Lanor gains 15 gp

"Good luck, little Gnome", says drunken Mac before he stands to join the barkeep.  The two do their best to attempt a quiet conversation in such a ruckus of music and drinking.

Lanor's Spot Check
SUCESS

Another glance at the drinking Dwarves reveals what they're playing.  One Dwarf attempts to flip a small coin into the others' glass.  From the looks of it, both winner and loser still drink.

Lanor takes a more focused look at the doors, all on the bar's side.  Patrons frequent one farthest from the front door.  This is probably a room to relieve oneself.  The next closest, hasn't been used.  The door behind the bar is most likely used for the barkeep's personal sleeping quarters, and the hatch leads to storage basement. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Name: Lanor                                          Stats: STR [12]  (+1) DEX [16]  (+2)
Health Points: 12/12                                                         CON [14]  (+1) INT [14]  (+1)
Gold Pieces: 20                                                                 WIS [14]  (+1) CHA [11]  (0)
Silver Pieces: 0                                                                COM [8]  (-1)  LUCK [11]

Lanor decides to leave the bar heading to the western gate, on his way he looks more at the street wondering to himself about what kind of drama each of the little families has behind each door and when he reaches the gate he heads out towards Netherton

Spot Check on the Road
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Western gate....western gate....where is this thing?  Lanor treks around the entire town before finding what he believes to be the western gate. 

Spot Check
CRITICAL SUCCESS
This isn't the western gate at all, but instead the only entrance into town!  Then why, on earth, did that barkeep call it the western gate?!  Despite his frustration, Lanor manages to avoid the eyes of everyone in his party as he travels to the road, although he is quite aware of their presence.  He did just witnessed Arya, belly down on the ground, eating dirt.... 

Now on the road in front of town, facing south-west, Lanor sees three humans, armed with bows, approaching.  They're slowly dragging a bear carcass behind them, and having quite a bit of trouble.  "Give us a hand?", one of them asks.
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Health Points: 12/12                                                       CON [14]  (+1) INT [14]  (+1)
Gold Pieces: 20                                                                 WIS [14]  (+1) CHA [11]  (0)

Always happy to help Lanor grabs a hunk of fur from the Bear and starts heaving it in the direction the three were heading, "Where might i inquire did you find such a magnificent beast?" "And where are you taking it?".

Lie Check on what they reply
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

The hunters shift positions to let the Gnome help out.  "Shaded City", one of them starts starts.  "At least for now.  An associate of ours is letting us borrow his carriage in exchange for a cut of the profits.  We'll skin this beast tonight, sell its meat to the inn, and tomorrow we ride to Netherton, where the pelt will bring a real profit".

Even with the extra aid of Lanor, its quite some time before they reach their destination.  They pass many of the same lantern populated streets the Gnome passed on his way to the speakeasy, although this route actually possible to remember.  He could definitely find his way back here.   They finally arrive at a depressingly dilapidated house.  Plants, or Lanor assumes they once were plants, line the perimeter of the small building.  Once inside, the hunters lift the beast onto a table and get to work.

"You look like you can handle yourself", speaks one, noting Lanor's bow.  "Care to join us.  We split everything 50-50....well 50-50-50, and with you 50-50-50-50".
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

"I can travel with you as far as Netherton, And i will accept a smaller dowry if you wish, it'd be nice for a couple of companions on my travels."Lanor is weary still but is more than happy to follow these competent adventurers to Netherton, but we need to leave soon.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

One of the hunters notices something just dropped from Lanor's pocket.  He stops his duties to pick up the small twenty sided object.  "I think you dropped this by accident", says the hunter as he hands the curious token to the Gnome.  "I'm glad you can accompany us as far as Netherton.  We'll split anything foraged or hunted on the way down the middle.  We'll be done here fairly soon, you should get some rest.  We've got a few cots outside if you need them.  We'll wake you in the morning".
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor leaves the building and goes and finds a spare cot, as his head hits the pillow he's into a shallow sleep holding onto his backpack full of stuff.

furryoldlobster

The night goes by uneventfully until Lanor's sleep is interrupted in the morning.  "Hey little Gnome", he hears.  "Wake up!  Time to leave".  Indeed, the sun is barely coming up as the hunter stirs Lanor.  He's a tall fellow, with short brown hair and a sharper than average chin.  "Gotcha breakfast too.  Come inside!", he says inviting the ranger inside. 

After a quick meal of meat, most likely bear, and potatoes, they depart the mostly friendly walls of Shaded City via carriage, on their way to Netherton!

It's not long before one hunter, the same that woke Lanor this morning asks, "So what brings you on to Shaded City?"
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Health Points: 12/12                                                          CON [14]  (+1) INT [14]  (+1)
Gold Pieces: 20                                                               WIS [14]  (+1) CHA [11]  (0)

"I was here to see a friend of mine, Mac, I recently came into some information that was useful to him, I am also looking for some information pertaining to the Guild destruction." although Lanor did not tell the entire truth, he had no reason to lie to his new companions.

"What about you? you're the first group of hunters I've encountered, you met many people?"

furryoldlobster

"Mac, ya say.  Can't say I've met someone by that name." he begins.  "We're all from Netherton. Suppose I never properly introduced myself.  I'm Willis, over there is Cam and Bruce.  We're hunters by trade.  We'll shoot and kill anything for a profit.  Or for food.  Or for fun!  All of us 'cept Cam over there.  For some reason he refuses to hunt cats.", Willis says smirking at Cam.  "Don't meet many people besides traders, and occasionally other hunters".

They ride until Wills spots something in a clearing to the north.  Grazing elk! 

"You wanna take a shot?", Willis suggests to Lanor.  "The pelt will getcha some decent coin."
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor pulls out a small coin, worthless to all except him, He flips it high in the sky and says, "Tails" as the coin falls the wind catches it and makes it spin 3 times Lanor snatches it out of the air, Tails it is, Lets get hunting.

As the Carriage pulls up at the side of the road Lanor gets off the carriage and begins to slowly approach the field of Grazing Elk, He pulls out his bow and begins to aim at the creatures

And takes a shot

Spot Check Field

Shoot
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Lanor's Spot Check
SUCESS
Lanor easily spots the grazing elk next to several others.  He notes a particularly weak spot in its flesh, right next to the shoulder. 

HIT
Bull's eye!  Lanor's arrow pierces the Elk at his intended location.

7 damage inflicted on elk

Lanor's attack was more than enough to take down the majestic animal; however, the other deer scatter off further north, avoiding any fatal encounter with the dangerous Gnome.

~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor approaches the dead elk to retrieve his arrow and harvest what he can from the dead animal. And then proceeds back to the carriage to carry on with his journey.

furryoldlobster

Lanor presents his prize to the group of hunters, all very impressed with the clean kill.  Willis helps lift the elk onto the carriage roof, and they're soon on their way.  The trip isn't going as fast as any of the travelers would like.  Even with two horses, its only slightly faster than walking when the carriage is this weighed down.  Its dark by the time they reach the 3/4 mark, and Willis decides that everyone should stop and make camp.

As Cam and Bruce set up a campfire, Willis inquires Lanor about the elk flesh.  "Think we can have a little of that venison for dinner?", he asks the Gnome. 
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

"sure we can, You wanna cook whilst i check the perimeter? as Willis answers, Lanor goes off to do his job.

Spot Check:

furryoldlobster

Lanor's Spot Check
SUCCESS

Lanor travels around the camp's perimeter.  Aside from the few passerbys on the road, he doesn't find anything new.  He heads back to the hunters when his visiosion catches patch of miner's lettuce.  This will go great with elk!

Lanor returns to the tradesman, and watches, as they carefully carve the pelt from the animal's flesh.  They must have been together a long time.  Their precision and efficiency is paramount.  Within minutes several elk flank steaks are presented to Lanor. 

Just looked up the scientific name for miner's lettuce...its Claytonia perfoliata. Oh the coincidence
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Health Points: 12/12                                                          CON [14]  (+1) INT [14]  (+1)
Gold Pieces: 20                                                               WIS [14]  (+1) CHA [11]  (0)

Lanor begins to eat the steak given to him and asks "so what took you to shaded city then?"He continues to eat whilst chatting the the three companions and then when it is time, he falls asleep in the cot made for him to the south of the camp site.

furryoldlobster

As Lanor drowses off, he listens to the story of these hunters.

"Looking for work, and maybe a few allies.  Its a dangerous world outside of towns.  Beasts of all manner.  Some are just trying to survive, and yet others.  Others are evil, pure evil.  The Dead Forest, south of here, is home to the worst of these monsters.  Beasts of shadow capable of sneaking up on just about anything, large winged snakes with enough venom to kill an elephant, an entire army of undead warriors!  True terrors of nightmares.  Anyway...sleep well, Gnome"

Lanor falls into an extremely restful sleep, despite the various terrifying images now in his mind. 

Willis stirs Lenor awake...but its still very dark out.  The fire had been stomped out, and according to the moon, its only been a few hours since the Gnome fell asleep. 

Willis whispers to Lenor, "Pack your things.  Very quietly, with as much stealth possible.  There's a pack of goblins just through the brush.  I think they're headed to Shaded City, and we don't need this sort of trouble".

If Lanor chooses to attempt any stealth, he'll need to roll for it's success
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor stirs and begins slowly picking up his stuff, quietly he asks How many?

Stealthy packaging
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]

Spot check Pack of Goblins [blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Stealthy Packing
SUCCESS
Noise is no match for Lanor's crafty Gnome hands.  He doesn't make a sounds as he packs his gear.

"I can't tell.  At least a dozen.  Take a look over there", Willis points Lanor at the moving platoon. 

Spot Check
CRITICAL SUCCESS
Lanor gazes at the direction of the goblins.  Willis wasn't jesting.  At least 20 well armed, although mostly unarmored, goblins stalk through the forest.  Its a miracle the horde hasn't yet noticed Lanor and the Hunters.

"Gnome", Willis whispers.  "What should we do?"
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor is unsure what to do at this point, he could attack the Goblins now, however risk the problem of him or one of his companions dying
He could wait for the opportune moment and then attack when they are not expecting it, but again with 20 of them they risk the chance of dying
or they could run, however Lanor has never been one to run...

"Guys running is a plan, however where they're sitting, it is surrounded by trees and shrubbery, we could camouflage up each take a corner of a square defensive position and then all fire at the same time, if none of us miss we should be able to fire off two lethal shots before they know whats going on, and that would leave us with just three to attack, What do you think? also none of them seem to have bows, we could take high positions in the trees"

Lanor waits for an answer on the ideas he has just presented

furryoldlobster

"You mean to hunt a horde of Goblins!", Willis whispers with exasperation.  "Well, I know Shaded City officials need dead goblins for something....maybe they'll pay us for corpses?"

Willis looks at his companions, who've seen him have this look before.  They saw the same thing when they had the opportunity to take out a pride of direlions.  He means to fight, or die trying.  Cam and Bruce silently oblige Willis.  "We should get to the trees, but remember, be quiet!"

~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor allows the three companions to take there positions and then finds a position of his own, silently he fires two shots at the Goblins.

Shot 1
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]

Shot 2

furryoldlobster

Shot 1
MISS

Lanor's first arrow flies harmlessly past the goblins, although they divert their attention to where the arrow landed.

Shot 2
HIT

With some of the goblins distracted, Lanor's second shot is unavoidable. 

7 damage inflicted on goblin

The arrow pierces the goblin's chest, who's collapses to the ground with a bad case of death. Willis, Cam, and Bruce fire their arrows as well, but the only one who hits his target is Willis.  His arrow strikes down a goblin as well. 

Goblins, although no geniuses in the monster world, are by no means absolutely ignorant.  The leader, and larger goblin armed with a morningstar, notices his fallen allies, and turns his troop towards the direction of the incoming arrows. 

They haven't spotted Lanor, and his allies, yet.  Willis silently motions to Lanor for another volley.
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor again fires a volley of 2 shots towards the Goblins

1st shot
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]

2nd shot

furryoldlobster

Both Shots
HIT

Lanor lets loose an arrow, and before it even hits the target, his second arrow is already flying. 

5 damage inflicted on Goblin
7 damage inflicted on Goblin he's next to

Both arrows kill the intended targets.  The hunters fire their volley as well, and again, Willis is the only one who manages to kill a goblin. 

The leader looks up at the hunters' hide.  He speaks something in Goblin to his tropps, and two goblins light torches. The pair begins lighting the ground near tree trunk.  They mean to burn the hunters from their hide!
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

Lanor sees the immediate problem and laughs at the Goblins Feeble attempts to frighten him and the hunters, without missing a beat Lanor pulls out his cock and begins pissing on the fire the goblins are making, upon this he also begins to pour half of the honey down the trunk this acts as a sort of anti flame protection for a short while and caramelises the bark

Pissing
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote]

Honey
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Piss Off, Goblins...
SUCCESS

Both Lanor's problem solving abilities and excellent hand-eye coordination help him out of this situation.  The Gnome quickly extinguishes the fire, although he has also given away his position. 

Honey Tree Armor

FAILURE

The very moment Lanor begins pouring honey down the tree, several goblins search their bags for something.  They reveal biscuits.  They don't mean to waste delicious tree honey. 

At this point, the morningstar armed leader sends ten of his troops back on their way to Shaded City.  He stands, with seven goblins by his side, and growls, "Why don't you put on your big boy pants, and fight with some honor!"  His troops raise their weapons so as to rally their leaders proclamation.  "Otherwise, we'll be forced with other considerations".  Two goblins show off their battle axes. 
~ cinema sign.