Main Menu

News:

Support Claytonia:   

general D & D discussion board

Started by furryoldlobster, February 17, 2014, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

I thought it'd be good to have a D & D discussion for question and answers.  This way the other boards don't get too cluttered.

The first question being modifiers (they were super confusing to me at first anyway):
They are written out next to, and directly affected by, your abilities.  These don't modify your ability scores.  They modify your effectiveness to successfully complete actions based on your abilities. 

Example:
You're trying to dodge a sudden attack.  As a DM, I tell you to roll something called a reflex save.  That means you roll a d20 and add your dexterity modifier to your score.    The reasoning?  If you've higher dexterity, you've higher reflexes (or lower dex and slower reflexes).

These are the modifiers based on your ability level
lvl 1-2, -3 modifier
Lvl 3-5, -2 modifier
Lvl 6-8, -1 modifier
Lvl 9-11, no modifier
lvl 12-14, +1 modifier
Lvl 15-16, +2 modifier
Lvl 17-18, +3 modifier

Whats this mean?  It means if I've level 15 dexterity, i've got a +2 modifier on my dexterity related rolls. If I've 9 constitution, I receive no extra bonus because it pretty much average. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Ooo~ D&D over forums, this'll be fun :3

Ok, couple questions.
Seeing as this is more than likely going to be a long term kind of game (with all of us having lives that take us away from the computer ever so often), what are the rules for taking turns? Say I go after you, do I wait until after you've actually replied before taking my turn?

Also, what exactly are the rules on races? I've made a Shade (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shade,_Variant_(4e_Race) character before, but can't use him in all games because some DM's won't allow the odder races lol
Same question, but for class. Would, for example, something like a keyblade wielder (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1101291) be allowed? Not saying I want to be one, just using something I've played with as an example.

Also, URL's included to show what I'm talking about lol
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

furryoldlobster

Still working on the combat part.  We will have a play a few games before I'm set with any concrete rules, but I'd like to make it casual and fun, rather than a grind. 

Chances are, it'll be very close to what you've described.  Players will roll to see who goes first (its called rolling for initiative for those who don't know).  The order would be player makes a move (whether it be attacking, hiding, dancing, throwing a fancy party, etc...).  I figure how successful the player would be based on his/her stats and my own roll.   Then the next highest initiative goes, and I respond. 

Its either that, or everyone PMs me what they want to do, and I make one post describing all the actions. 

You may use just about any race (from any edition) that wouldn't be overkill.  Either one of those races would be just fine. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Just a thought, but could we get some stickies to keep the character creation threads and stuff near the top and in some sort of order? And perhaps maybe a second child board for characters and creation to that it's not all cluttered under one section o:
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Definitely!!  That's part of the next phase after dealing with magic and unique skills.  I want to clean up all these boards, redo the character creation page, and come up with a gaming format that looks pretty. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

And it has probably been brought up, but maybe you could use a room in TS and have a chat thing if you catch all the people online. Of course, the forums would still be the main story, but you could make a simple log or just copy the chat log out of TS and paste it into the forum topic to give a basic "Synopsis". Try to avoid "talking" your roles, but the voice would make for some interesting comments. Not to mention with it being a live chat room, responses would be nearly instantaneous. Rolling Dice would be a problem though...

Zito

We could use the online roller that Furry showed me for the rolling if we do things in TS. Or we could have a rolling thread on here lol. Until we get a D&D permanent channel in ts, we can just make a temp one when we're all in there.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Good ideas.  I've been using TS a little more to help people through the character creation process, and its really come in handy. 

Real Time Rolling Thead Forum Posting Board

Has a nice ring to it.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Next topic! Leveling up.

One or two of us is close, so what exactly do we get upon leveling up? Anything special to races? Ability scores? Feats?

furryoldlobster

Yes, sir!  As of right now, when you level, you may increase one of your current unique skills (or add a new one), your hp increases by 1 + (1d4 + con modifier...unless its a negative then only add the 1d4 score), and your strain points increases by wisdom modifier.  No change in ability scores (the only thing that would alter those are boosted weapons/armor).
~ cinema sign.

Farquad94

D&D should get its own forum section.
Fancy signature

Zito

It already has one, it's just a sub forum of Forum Games, as it is technically a forum game. Albeit a very complex one compared to all of the others XD

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Woodsy, I think you read a feat or two wrong in your newest character sheet XD

I'm sure backstabber is a feat built off of sneak attack, but I doubt it does 5d8's at level 1.

furryoldlobster

It has been fixed.  Backstabber makes sneak attack stronger, but in order to do 5d8, you'd have to be level nine assassin. see http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Assassin
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

So who is reading the sub text in the maiden of death? It's meant to be a tutorial to help people understand the core mechanics of the game. Even if you're not keeping up on the story, finding the posts with sub text will greatly help you understand the mechanics and hopefully help you post better posts towards the campaign you're apart of.

Zito

Quote from: Tokilin on March 19, 2014, 03:51:41 PM
So who is reading the sub text in the maiden of death?

This guy.
<--------

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

So if I was to try DMing, would you guys be interested? I'd be a tad bit more strict on character creation than Furry though... of course. I'd limit you to the information found in the actual 3.5 handbook. If you need some more info on what's in the book, let me know.

I'd also probably do my rolls a bit differently as well, of course I'd state my case behind doing so.

furryoldlobster

I, for one, think toki is a much better DM than myself, and would totally play.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

I sure would! I think two games going on would be really interesting. Perhaps I could try that half-dragon thing I was thinking about making. DMing looks so fun. I'd love to try, but I couldn't actually DM. I don't get on enough to DM.
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

Tokilin

Unfortunately, Millarz, I don't think the races you want to be are in the original 3.5 handbook. Like I said, I'd be doing things a bit differently to see whether or not balancing would be needed, as well as maybe tweaking a few things to get everything on track for final(ish) setup. After that we can start adding fancy classes and races.

Zito

I'm in! Also, on another note, Elk isn't Venison TT_TT

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

New character's luck:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]

Millarz

Guys I don't fully understand what you guys meant on my character creation sheet. You guys are doing things differently than what the DnD wiki says, right? I've been reading the wiki and going by that so far. Though I've been confused by both you and the wiki :p So if I get rid of big familiar, I can get two types of spell class thingies?

Tokilin

We're working things differently for that stuff than what's on the wiki, unfortunately, looking there isn't going to help. Your comment on the character sheet is correct. You can advance your magic if you forgo the big familiar. Your sheet is almost finished, if you can catch us on TS, we'll tell you the slight things you're missing or have added. :)

Furry and I are working on a better character creation guide.

Millarz

Ah I would but I'm exhausted for real and I have to go to bed. Tomorrow maybe :/

Tokilin

No worries, I wasn't meaning right away anyway, haha. Furry and I are re-vamping the class system and stuff, so we're busy with our hands full on that. We'll help you with your sheet when you need us to. Till then, we've things to do.

Clay

Any ideas on how to find more people that would enjoy our forum D&D?
Are there any D&D forums that we could advertise on?

http://claytonia.net/forums/index.php?topic=2363.0
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Zito

This is the first I've ever been involved in D&D, so I wouldn't know unfortunately :/

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

I think we need a topic explaining forum D&D to newcomers.

Would someone type up a "How to play/What is forum D&D" topic please. The more information in the post the better, maybe even an example or two. I know there is different how-to guides but i think one general "howto/what it is" would be helpful. I will then sticky it on this board to help new members. I think this will help people understand what it is and hopefully want to join.

Zito

I'll talk to Toki and Furry and we should be able to make something up.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

An 'about D & D' section.  I like it.
~ cinema sign.

Clay

Millarz

Muahahahaha! DnD is taking over the forums! (And by extension, Arya)

Tokilin

Not gonna give Leila, the rejected evil sister, a foot hold on the forum domination? XD

She may not be apart of the main campaign, but it's catching up pretty fast, and it's also a part of the dungeons and dragons section :P

Millarz

No, she is rejected. Again :p And I said Arya because her name is in the title :p Zeeto sort of too. Lanor ditched us D:

Zito

I think Woodsy's busy with Exams and such right now is why Lanor hasn't been around. I can't believe that The Adventures even beat Top Posters in views now :o

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

I think she was referring to the fact that Lanor is off in his own campaign now XD

Millarz

Yeah what  Toki said :p Who decided he was to branch off from the main quest anyways? I was just wondering.

furryoldlobster

Woodsy and I discussed it.  He told me that he was going to be super busy with school, so I decided to let him branch out until he has more time to post, at which point he'll rejoin the campaign.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Ah it looked like a joint decision but I wasn't sure.

furryoldlobster

I apologize for the lack of recent response.  I've been terribly sick and it sucks. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

It happens. Just worry about getting well. Owlbert (Albert?) can wait a bit longer I'm sure.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

Talking to a new friend in TS and he seems very interested in D&D on the forums. Get a hold of him and get him involved.

Gargulous on forums and Long Tom in TS

furryoldlobster

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

That stinks :/ Feel better furry! I still never got to hear that song you made....

gargulous

Hi all,

Just joined the community and it was suggested by Clay that I introduce myself, so im Gargulous (Garg for short). I have been roleplaying since I was 13, which amounts to about 29 years of fun and games. I am looking forward to meeting you guys in game.

Aastrid the Wise is my character, still in generation. If anyone can message me with links to background info on the game world, especially deities...being a cleric, that would be great..I have been unable to find that sort of info on the forums ;) (for now i have been using the Norse as inspiration).

Zito

Welcome to Forum D&D Garg! Nice to see someone else join us! The Forum D&D isn't very active right now, because Furry (Our only DM atm) is not doing to well right now. As a result, The Shaded City Mystery is a bit on hold currently. However, I do recommend reading through it. It may seem like a daunting task, as it is over 1000 posts now, but it is an entertaining story, I assure you. Once Furry is back I'm sure he will find a creative way to place Aastrid in to the story (He always does). This is all assuming you want to be in this particular adventure. Heck, you could make your own and DM that if you wanted to. I know I'd join :P. Anyways, if you have any questions, just ask! I'm always willing to help. You can PM me on here, reply to this thread, or find me on Teamspeak sometime. I'm Zito in Teamspeak, I usually have an orange button. Once again, Welcome to Claytonia! On a side note, sorry if this reply makes no sense at all, I might be a bit sleep deprived right now lol.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

A new game and DM could be cool ! It would take a load off furry

Zito

Yeah, Toki has one going, but he's been at Camp for the summer. Toki should be back soon, I think, so we'll have two adventures going at once again. If Garg wants to do one as well, that would be three!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins