Main Menu

News:

Come join us on Teamspeak

joined a late night....

Started by furryoldlobster, February 15, 2014, 01:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

... D & D game.  Its pretty incredible despite me never playing 2.0 before.  I've an insane cleric who must roll "insanity" checks that depend on my eating of certain herbs.  If I chew the wrong herb, my "insanity" check is substantially lower (and in 2.0 apparently rolling under the check point is a success, and above it a failure). 

In my first game I mistook a farm animal for a goblin because I ate something that made me slightly mad. 

...that poor goat.
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

That sounds fun, I want to learn to play D & D XD

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Woodsy1995

If someone would be willing to be DM we could probably do one on tiny chat and then like forum the dialogue it'd be good fun, we could use our characters from RP or just make some totally new ones
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

furryoldlobster

Id like to try this.  I'd happily DM and teach anyone who wants to learn.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

A forum D&D game would be totally doable.  A few already want to join in, and I'd enjoy being a DM.   I'm not set on any edition just yet (any suggestions?). I'm also looking into online resources to make it easier for all.

found this online dice roller: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

3.5e Character Generator:
http://dnd3rd.sourceforge.net/

A fun create yourself as a D&D character generator:
http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
~ cinema sign.

Clay

Awesome idea.
If this gets momentum behind it I will create a board just for D&D
Let me know if there is anything else I can add to the forums to help. There might even be some cool forum mods out there for simple machine forums that I could add.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

furryoldlobster

Thanks, Clay.  I'll look into forum mods.  Those might make the whole experience run smoothly. 

Woodsy and Zito have expressed interest, and I've seen some fantastic writing on the RPG server boards. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, theories, suggestions, thoughts, plans, or schemes.  I've never tried running a game over a forum, but it should translate just fine (probably with the help of TS).   

Hope to see fellow Claytonians nerd it up in D & D lands of Claytonia.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

awesome, Z.  I'm thinking of designing a hybrid version of the game sacrificing some of the extra tediousness for the sake of keeping the game move forward and everyone interested.  The only way to really see what works is to play a game. 

I'm working up a quick how to build a character tutorial right now.  Should be done in a little bit.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Any idea what race/class you'd like to be?
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

I'd need to know what Races and what Classes there are

furryoldlobster

races I'm going to keep it simple (for now.  I've once created a werewolf race for someone, so if you've an idea, let me know): human, elf, dwarf, halfling, half elf, half orc, gnome

classes:  barbarian, bard, druid, cleric, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, wizard.

Your starting class determines what sort of profession or life you lead when you start the game. Each class has strengths and weaknesses to to consider. Barbarians, fighters, monks and paladins are good melee fighters. Rangers, rogues and sorcerers and wizards are better at long ranges. Clerics are good spell casters and healers bards are good charmers. Druids are at home in the wild, but do not always work well in cities.

aligment:  I like choosing alignment for you after seeing how you play, but for ideas visit http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-and-Correctly-Role-Play-Your-Alignment-in-Dungeons-and-Dragons-V3.5

story for now (its gonna be a simple tutorial so very unoriginal):  everyone will start in the same town, brought together by a bounty (or everyone starts out in the same guild and is contracted out to kill something maybe).  This particular town is 90% human with some animosity towards non humans.  I'll have more in a bit after I run some errands. 
~ cinema sign.

Woodsy1995

I would like to be a Gnome Rogue

furryoldlobster

Sounds good, Woodsy.  I'm at a quandary at the moment about a few classes (I stole these directly from 3.5e) and feel like they could be simplified (e.g. why not make barbarian, paladin, monk all just a fighter class.  sorcerer and wizard could be mage class.  druids are a type of cleric).

Unless someone has a good reason against it, these will be the abilities:

Strength (str) - muscle, endurance, & stamina.  Directly affects damage dealing.  Receive +1 bonus at 16+ (16, 1; 17, 2; 18, 3)

Dexterity (dex) - hand-eye coordination, agility, reaction, reflexes, balance.  16+ receive bonus saving throws

Constitution (con) - physique, fitness, resistance. 16+ receive extra 1 hp per level up.

Intelligence (int) - memory, reasoning, & learning ability.  17+ genius level int.  Very important for spell casters as the more int you've got, the more spells you can learn.

Wisdom (wis) - common sense, intuition.  At 13+, level 1 spells will never fail.  16+ earn 10% more experience

Charisma (cha) - persuasiveness, leadership.  17+ suggestions almost never fail.

Comeliness (com) - attractiveness.  1,2,17, & 18 receive bonuses in dialogue/effectiveness  in capturing affections.

How to roll for abilities?  Roll 4d6 (four six sided dice), ignore the lowest die, and add up the other 3.  Repeat this 6 more times, keeping track of the scores.  Assign these scores to your abilities as you see fit. 

Racial Differences?  I'm a little torn on this as every edition has so many specifics about what extra bonuses any given race might have.  I don't want many things set in stone, so if you've an idea of your character's bonuses, let me know.  We'll figure it out.  If you want a deaf human, who has exceptional sight to make up for the sensory deprivation, go for it.  If there's even a decent explanation, there shouldn't be any problem.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

-Race Bonuses and physical descriptions-
Human: No adjustment; medium build 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 ft tall; 125-250 lbs
Dwarf: +2 con, -2 cha; small build (better hide checks); darkvision; +2 balance checks; 4-4 1/2 ft; 125-250 lbs
Elf: +2 dex, -2 con; low light vision; +2 spot, listen checks; 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 ft; 95 - 135 lbs
Gnome: +2 con, -2 str; small; low light vision; 3 - 3 1/2 ft; 100 - 200 lbs
Half-elf: no adjustment; low light vision; +1 spot, listen checks; +2 diplomacy checks (bridges gap between humans and elves); 5 - 6 ft, 100-180 lbs
Half-orc: +2 str, -2 int, -2 cha; darkvision;  6 - 7 ft; 180- 250 lbs
Halfling: +2 dex, -2 str; small; +1 to all saving throws (halflings are very quick on their feet and quite lucky); +2 listen checks; 3 ft; 30-35 lbs

....Metric conversion coming soon!!
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Here's an example of super basic character design (not including feats...for now)

I want to be a halfling conman (well congirl, but you'll get the point)

using this nifty rolling app http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm I can roll my d6 4 times.  I roll 4,4,5,5.  Ignore the lowest roll (4 in this case), add the rest, coming to 14.  An above average score (10 is average).  Next 1,2,3,4 (seriously?) which means a score of 9.  You probably get this by now...

The next 5 scores were the following: 13, 12, 8, 12, and 13. 

Since I'm a halfling, I'll have to consider my race bonus/detriments. I'll receive a bonus +2 dexterity, but a -2 strength.  I decide on the following:
Str 7 (-2 from race)
Dex 15 (+2 from race)
Con 12
Int 12
Wis 13
Cha 14
Com 8

Chaotic Neutral (is more than willing to bend the rules to help herself or those to whom she feels indebted, but otherwise, why bother?  Seems fitting for a con artist)

My halfling, although not physically imposing, is very fast and can outwit most opponents.  Though not particularly good looking, she can disguise herself as a human child due to her halfling traits and fool most people for her benefit. 

~ cinema sign.

Clay

I really hope this takes off!
I added a dice rolling mod to the forums in hopes that it helps!

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2032

You can find the below examples on the url above but just so u know what it can do....

[ roll]2d12+5[/roll] - roll 2 12-sided dice and add 5 to the result
[blockquote]Rolled 2d12+5 : 9, 7 + 5, total 21[/blockquote]
[ roll]2d20^10[/roll] - roll 2 20-sided dice, re-rolling any result necessary so that the dice rolls are greater than 10.
[blockquote]Rolled 2d20^10 : 2 18, 20, total 38[/blockquote]
[ roll]2d20v10[/roll] - roll 2 20-sided dice, re-rolling any result necessary so that the dice rolls are less than 10.
[blockquote]Rolled 2d20v10 : 18 17 13 9, 7, total 16[/blockquote]
[ roll]2d20>10[/roll] - roll 2 20-sided dice, discarding any result where the roll was not greater than 10.
[blockquote]Rolled 2d20>10 : 19, 16, total 35[/blockquote]
[ roll]2d20<10[/roll] - roll 2 20-sided dice, discarding any result where the roll was not less than 10.
[blockquote]Rolled 2d20<10 : 10, 10, total 0[/blockquote]

Normally it will add the word 'Rolled' in front - you can customise this. For example, a spell that does some serious damage in a game:
[ roll]{Freezing} 1d10 {Fire} 1d20[/roll]
[blockquote]Freezing 1d10 : 1, total 1
Fire 1d20 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]

You can also nest the requirements, with the proviso of stating the things as they are in order here.
[ roll]{Uberdamage} 15d100+10^10v90<80>20[/roll] - 15 100-sided dice, adding 10 to the result, rerolling anything 10 or less, rerolling anything 90 or higher, and if after that, you have values 20 or less, or 80 or higher, they get dropped.
[blockquote]Uberdamage 15d100+10^10v90<80>20 : 24, 51, 79, 13, 4 91 83, 24, 74, 91 36, 76, 37, 8 23, 27, 2 4 55, 4 81, 55 + 10, total 571[/blockquote]

Lastly you can also have an iterator at the end:
[ roll]2d6x3[/roll] - roll 2d6 3 times and display the results overall
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 5, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 4, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9[/blockquote]
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

furryoldlobster

Awesome.  Thanks, Clay.  This will help create a smooth interface.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Ooo I've always wanted to try D&D but I don't know how to play. Would you teach me? I've played DDO though :p
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

Of course!   I've setup a create a character page (that doubles as a beginning tutorial).  Check that out to get started.  The combat guide is coming next, and then we start playing.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

zerokiriyu

I never played D&D before, but I'll give it a go.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

Great!  I'm still working on the combat guide, but i've created a discussion board to answer any questions.  Can't wait to actually begin the game. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Looking for a proper area to ask this question without posting in the wrong thread, haha.

Who else is keeping up with the events happening in the DnD Boards? Aside from the actual participants. I keep seeing various names pop up in the "people viewing this board" area.  :P
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]