Main Menu

semi-vanilla's future

Started by Clay, September 30, 2013, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay

The server is paid up until January. there is an average of 3 people on the server per day and 3 people's donations go towards keeping the server paid for although they do not log on much anymore. The semi server needs another $5 each month from now until January to pay for its self.
I would like to give someone this sever to make their own. They would be in charge of recruiting and finding donations and all other admin duties. 
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Tslat

I'd imagine if no one took over this server it wouldn't be surviving past early 2014?

Also, have you checked the logo thread lately?
Sorry to go off topic for a sec
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Clay

correct, on the early 2014, unless someone starts donating in the next month or two.

Woodsy1995

I would love to take it over but if we have a vanilla server and a tekkit server i think we need to change it to a just not vanilla server
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

Clay

Quote from: Woodsy1995 on September 30, 2013, 09:47:20 PM
I would love to take it over but if we have a vanilla server and a tekkit server i think we need to change it to a just not vanilla server
define "not vanilla"?

Tslat

Like what you see here?

Clay

Quote from: Tslat on September 30, 2013, 10:10:41 PM
Maybe we just don't need it?

agree. but if someone wants to take over advertising and administrating it, they can have it until it runs out. hopefully they will get donations before that.

Woodsy1995

Skywars, Creative/ Minigames basically just loads of different portals, keep everything in the survival place make that survival then create branches off of it, it'll attract more players and people always pay for kits in mingames for some reason

Farquad94

Clay will you keep the map data?
Fancy signature

Zito

There has got to be something we can do with it...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Woodsy1995

Clay could I possibly have a go with Advertising and sorting it out?

Zito I could use your help if Clay says yes with where i should advertise and stuff, Obviously i will direct them to the other claytonia servers aswell

Also if the server get put down can i please have the map download

Zito

I'll help when I can Woodsy!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

I'm pretty sure Clay said he'd be putting up the world download if the server goes down
Like what you see here?

Zito

I'm hoping it doesn't. It's the foundation of Claytonia.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

Even though it's rarely played on?
Like what you see here?

Zito

Without it Claytonia wouldn't be what it is today...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

True but that doesn't mean we can't move on from the past
Like what you see here?

Woodsy1995

Why would you move on before your time?

Tslat

The fact that it's dying is proof that it's time is coming..

Why does everyone keep posting comments without thinking logically?

Optimism is fine, but logic needs its place too
Like what you see here?

Zito

Yes, logically it makes sense to get rid of it. Yet, there are other options. Think about the players. Some people don't do Tekkit, yet they don't like Pure Vanilla either. Without Semi-Vanilla, there is not really a place for them in Claytonia. What I'm getting at is this: keep the server alive. Advertise, improve, keep it going.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

That's why Clay is giving someone the opportunity to take over it and keep it going, because that's just not working at the moment.
Like what you see here?

Zito

Yeah. I'm just worried nobody will take it up...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Farquad94

Fancy signature

Tslat

Just keep advertising it to players in game and stuff, the more people the better the chances
Like what you see here?

soubuckeye

I think it's safe to say that I've got something invested into the semi side of Claytonia.  I'm one of those guys that Clay mentioned (I'm chipping in $4 per month), and I haven't logged in as much as of late.

Part of that is a small touch of Minecraft burnout, but a huge chunk of that is because people simply aren't around.  As one of "the resident old farts" I've been in the gaming realm for a long enough time to know that groups ebb and flow.  I've been involved with a number of groups since 1996 - from online RP groups , to various clans, guilds, communities, etc.  None have lasted forever, but I've been privileged to know a lot of cool people and some have become long-time good close friends.  Such is life.

So... this brings back the question... What ABOUT the semi server?  Its a cornerstone foundation of Claytonia, sure.  It was built (as I understand it) with those features to make that core group happy and keep them playing.  People asked, Clay added it.  A lot of us have lots of time and work invested into the server.  Just go visit my town, Buckeye, or ride the railroad I have that's about 8 minutes long from one end to the other.  So, yeah, I'd be unhappy to see it go.  But what do we do about it?

Here's some options off the top of my head:

1. Let someone else run it.  Not me, sorry... I will admit I don't have the time or energy.  I am a casual gamer at best and don't have the commitment level.

2.  Reset the server.  Possible solution... Especially since the 1.7 update is supposedly going to force all the servers out there to update.  Maybe people avoid it because they feel the map is "played out" even though that's not necessarily true.  While that'd be a bitter pill for me to swallow on a personal level, it's still for the good of the cause, and might not be avoidable anyways.

3.  Focus on it.  Where have the admins been putting their recruiting effort as of late?  Maybe if they made a push to get people there, it would take off again. 

4. Let it die.  Not sure how I'd feel about this one... It'd save people money (including myself) but there's the tradition involved.

Not really sure I have a good solution for any of this.  But... Had to at least toss in my two bits.
The views expressed may not be those of the management.  In fact, they're likely just the irrational ravings of a certifiable lunatic.

Tslat

Well the first option is what this thread is about, seeing if anyone wants to take it over.

I'm not sure how resetting the server would solve much..
Yeah there isn't much focus on the semi at the moment, but there's still people joining.. It just seems people don't play it for long

Of course letting it die is the worst solution.. Doesn't count it out though..
Like what you see here?

zerokiriyu

I could take it over. Things are starting to look up around here so ill be on a lot more. The problem is Im not that great at advertising or using forums so if someone can help me out with that, I would be glad to take it over.
Zero-

Tslat

Like what you see here?

Woodsy1995