Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

Discord

Started by Tslat, April 30, 2016, 09:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tslat

So I'm trialing a Discord server for Claytonia.
From what I've seen so far, it seems to be pretty reputable, and has some really great features.

One of the main things about Discord is that you can run it entirely in your browser if you want to, meaning no downloads at all, with full smartphone support.

It is still missing a number of things though, especially for Admin control, but that's fine.

For those who would like to use our Discord server instead of Teamspeak, try this link:

https://discord.gg/0yzrMTCh0OlXY5wm

All feedback is welcome, since this is of course a new area for us
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

Won't that just divide the community? Rather than just teamspeak there's two servers now, so half on one half on the other isn't ideal...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tslat

It's more for people who won't download teamspeak to use it, but happen to have Discord

IF Discord picks up its act in the future, it'll probably outperform Teamspeak anyway and may even be worth switching.
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

:o   ;D

Lucky me...  I already have Discord on smartphone, and was soon going to re-download on PC.
What a coincidence...

The upside to Discord is that it is much more readily-available across platforms than TeamSpeak.

..."Universal communication" Coming Soon to an online community near you?

Post-Edit:
Yes, I realize that, Zito, and I agree with Tslat:

Discord is the future.
~Current Claytonia Vanilla Minecraft Photographer, Toa Mata Nui 9

(If you need to contact me, you can usually find me on Steam.
However, I will try to check my inbox on the forums more often, so if I'm not [available] on Steam, try PM-ing me here.)

Zito

Fair enough. Although the download for teamspeak including install and everything takes less than 5 minutes, so anyone that's not willing to do that probably won't even use discord.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Toa Mata Nui 9

Wait... why would it take that long to download?

Hold on, as I shall soon fact-test that.

2 min to download and install... just have to recall my password...   heh-heh...  ;D.

One moment...

Frantically rummages through a large stack of assorted parchments

However, I will try to check my inbox on the forums more often, so if I'm not [available] on Steam, try PM-ing me here.)

Tslat

IT doesn't take long to download at all, and takes near-zero time to set up

IF there's one thing I've learned from time as an admin:
People are fking lazy
Seriously Fking lazy
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

Quote from: Tslat on May 02, 2016, 05:30:58 PM
IT doesn't take long to download at all, and takes near-zero time to set up

IF there's one thing I've learned from time as an admin:
People are fking lazy
Seriously Fking lazy
That's probably why my passwords aren't organized--and occasionally not noted (merely as a precaution, of course). I blame technology for such problems.

Tslat

Good rule to stand by:

IF you have to write down your password, it's not a good password.

Good passwords are:
1. Easy to remember
2. Hard to guess
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

They are easy to remember—or were, before I had as many hundreds of things to keep track of as I do now—but I have about 100 different passwords. At minimum.

Tslat

Yeah..

I go through all my most commonly used sites every 12 months or so and come up with a new password scheme and change them all to suit.

That way you know most of your stuff is secure, and runs similar to everything else. Doesn't have to be the same password, but at least run it on the same scheme
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

I use different schemes depending upon site purpose, for example, forums use one scheme, social... things use another, and some are just odd-balled on the spot—the latter of which I seem to forget, as they are the most recently made, and somehow I seem to tend to keep up with passwords less these days... .

I change passwords on an as-needed basis.

I tend to let the browser or mobile app save passwords, which both helps and further complicates matters.

I try not to reuse passwords, but they do, on occasion, get reused, though I know it to be bad practice, however it is somewhat rare for that to take place.

(Discord seems to have had an oddball password, or otherwise.)
(I really don't like resetting passwords, but what can you do sometimes, ya' know?)

P.S.:
(Just remembered the first Discord password, which doesn't work. Obviously I've reset it before. :( )
(I have a feeling I'm going to be at this a while... .)

(*sad violin*)

So...  what is your ultimate plan for the Discord server?

Clay

Bump!
Discord has lost popularity within Claytonia!
Check it out!
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Clay

Toa Mata Nui 9

Think I may try to start using Discord more--once I am able to, heh-heh--I recently caught wind of screen share and video chat being experimented with, and of a sort of public beta of those features being currently accessible.

Tslat

Discord is definitely at a stage where it could be replacing our teamspeak to be honest. Problem os that people don't like change
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

Yes, but people do like modded Minecraft, and while switching over to the Discord might be a bit odd at first, I'm sure they would see that whatever money is saved with Teamspeak can be put toward that server, and/or other Claytonia game servers.

Personally, even I would be sad to see the Teamspeak server leave entirely, but I do see massive, far greater usage and potential for Discord being used in its stead, so personally, I'd be fine with just using solely Discord, and ditching Teamspeak.

One thing you might want to keep in mind, is adding a "Would you join us on Discord?" to the existing "Would you join us on Teamspeak?" question area of the Forum Profile, and to whitelist forms.

Tslat

Not a bad idea, though it may appear a bit obnoxious to ask about both

Ultimately it comes down to what clay wants to do, since he handles all the voip stuff
Like what you see here?

Toa Mata Nui 9

Well, nothing wrong with good ol' fashion incentivizing, eh?

What we might try is starting to ask about Discord instead of Teamspeak, including removing the current "Would you join us on Teamspeak?" on Forum Profile, and replacing it with the same question and answers regarding Discord.

Start shifting the focus, and pretty soon, everyone will be thinking about Discord instead, then thinking about it as though it were the commonly used program, then before you know it, all but the stubbornest will be using Discord rather than Teamspeak. Seen the method used a lot by Windows, Apple, etc, and seems like it works fairly well--note how I now use Windows 10.

Tslat

It's not the methods that are an issue - it's the willingness of the people to move.
We've been running Claytonia for a while, we're aware of how to do these things - it's just whether to do it or not in the first place is the question.

Again, Clay handles all that, and it'll always be his decision to make any changes.
In the meantime, Claytonia's Discord is still there and useable, so feel free to invite people to that rather than Teamspeak if you want to the catalyst for change
Like what you see here?

Clay

I HAVE to use Discord for my EVE alliance so Discord runs on boot and is always open on my gaming machine.
BUT Im old and stuck in my ways. I personally will continue to use TS for my daily Voip needs.
Our TS sever has had 100 unique connections in the last week and we have come within 2 slots of maxing out on TS three times in the last month so TS is far from dead. 
That being said.. use Discord, invite more people to use it! If more people use Discord we will not have to pay for more slots on TS.