Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

New Players

Started by Tokilin, September 20, 2014, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokilin

I'm all for creating new campaigns, but I think we'll need new players. We need some interesting ideas to go about getting more people! As far as I know, we have about... 5 'active' people (including me) who're responding, and lately things have been a bit slow. If we wants to make more campaigns and such, we need people to start posting and we also need more players. Any ideas?

Side note: Players need to subscribe to the Dungeons and Dragons group to see the forum? What parts can they see without being described? Can we adjust permissions so that you need to be a member of the group to post but non-members can view? I'm sure people seeing some of the adventures going on would increase frequenters.
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Clay

google "PbP D&D" and take a look at what other sites do. Make our D&D section as easy to use as theirs. then google "D&D forums". a lot of these forums are for people who enjoy D&D. Invite them to try PbP D&D on claytonia.net forums.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Tokilin

Unfortunately, with that method I would feel a bit guilty. I would feel as though I'm advertising our boards on someone else's and stealing their people. I don't expect people to do it with us, so the same would be expected of me. Also, we're running a modified version of DnD. I don't know if they'd be to thrilled on that idea, although I do see the benefits of saying such a thing. I was talking more players from the Claytonia community in general, but even then this is still a work in progress. It'll probably be an ever growing project though.
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Clay

You would not be advertising on a PBP D&D forum, i disagree with that. There are forums just centered aroubnd D&D in general. There you could invite people to try out PBP D&D. Ill do that part if you dont like the idea. I have no problem talking to their admins and getting perm to do it.

If ppl will not like the modded version..how can u make it so they do like it.
Make it easier to understand and get started and more ppl might join.
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Zito

We should revive D&D!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blazed_N_Stoned

I've never been involved in a forum D&D game so i have no idea if i'd enjoy it or not but i still have original maps and character sheets that are over a decade old from where i played it with my uncle. I'd be down for trying it out if we can get everything together

Zito

Awesome! Good to know we have more than just me interested! I'll talk to Toki and see if he's down to bring it back.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

I'm working on being more active.  I'm down to figure out how to reup the game.
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Yellow Goat

I haven't tried forum rp before, but I may be interested in giving it a shot

Zito

Excellent! It would seem we have enough people to work on getting this going again. I'll try to get Toki to take a look tonight. He's been trying to contact you in fact Furry, what would be the best way to do so?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

I'm totally down to get it going.   Clay is correct in saying that we need to, essentially, streamline character creation and make the game more approachable.   
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

I want to brainstorm with people so anybody who wants to get this going, please PM me and I'll send my mobile number which is probably the best way to contact me. 

I want this D&D: Claytonia Ed.  To be a thing!!
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

I said numerous times back when you guys were doing it that the mental investment to get involved is just way too high.

I'd really love to get involved, but with so many other things to focus on, I can't put 100% effort into working out everything to do with it

If you could find a way to simplify things, or even do intro missions or something, then more players would get involved
As it stands, it's basically only for those with a heck of a lot of free time, or those who already know it inside and out
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Zito

To be honest it really isn't that hard to learn if you try. It does still need simplification though.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

What Tslat is saying is totally correct.   As it stands now, the investment is too high for casual players.   Short intro missions are totally a good idea (I've got some written out already).   

The next thing I want is a simpler character creation process.   I've got some programming under my belt now, so I can come up with something, but here's where Tslat could really help.  Maybe we could write something where the player has to enter simple info (name, race, class, etc) and roll, then program does the rest.   Programs like this exist already, but not for our modified version of D&D.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Depending what you're going for, you won't need too much experience
You'll need javascript, html, css, and probably some jquery
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Im confident in my JavaScript; less so much in other web based programming.   Haven't done anything HTML related since junior high (15+ years ago).

Maybe I could write up parameters and an outline, perhaps we can come up with something?
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

I wish I had time to add more onto my schedule ;)
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Hmm....I'll spend some time looking at current character creation programs and hope to find some code for one so I can easily mod it.  Otherwise this may be slightly beyond my current knowledge.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

It's really not
I'd suggest you give it a go as a pet project and see how it goes ;)
Might learn some stuff
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Oh I'm going for it anyway.   It just might not be up to Tslat level programming. 
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

It's not a competition lol
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

If it's not a competition, then how am I going to win a trophy for programming this D&D character creation program?!
~ cinema sign.