Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

Seawell and the Great Light House

Started by Tokilin, March 23, 2014, 11:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokilin

Leila barely saw it coming, she torqued herself just enough that the beam singed her clothes, leaving a horizontal line of burnt edges across her clothes. She was safe, but her clothes were ruined.

1 Strain to Zen

The red captain motioned for the Orc to follow him to the table where he sat down. The blue captain, although he couldn't hear, it was quite evident what was going on. "Ah, I see now. You'd think the esteemed adventurers the guild picked out to help with the missing supplies would fight amongst themselves less." The captain lost any sign of being drunk at that comment he just made. Standing tall, about 6 foot 3, he motioned for everyone to sit at the small table. Although, while he motioned for everyone to sit, there were really only three chairs. They were already occupied by the two captains and Jayne. If you guys want to solve this problem, fighting with each other isn't gonna help." His eyes were directed at the male-female spat in front of him.
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Zito

"Next time, I won't miss." Zen says. To the captain, Zen replies "You are right. Now, what do you know?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

Leila looked at the scorch mark and laughed. "Hah you missed me at point blank. How much of a 'man' are you really then, if you assume the 'woman' to be weaker. Let's see." Upon finishing speaking, she walked up to the manly man and punched him in the gut. Hard. Turning to the captains, she says, "My apologies for this. You don't understand how he's been."

Fist BAM!
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 3, total 3[/blockquote]
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

"Punch Zen time?"

Punch Zen Time?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Leila walked up to Zen, her comment totally audible, she swung her fist. She missed entirely. Suddenly, Jayne stood up. It was a rather quick succession from the chair to Zen. His large fist flew out and caught Zen in the gut where Leila had intended but missed. It wasn't a full forced punch, the motion of going from chair to feet and feet to Zen had made sure of it. Zen collapsed to his knees, his gut hurting and with shortened breath for a bit.

Damage:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d2 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]
   Both captains watched the little scene unfold. Once the scene was more or less finished, one of the captains began talking. They both figured that the fighting just wasn't going to stop. The red captain was silent, letting the blue captain talk while he drank a bit more. "Couple days back we sent out word to the nearest city asking for supplies for our ships and to defend against the lizard folk. Unfortunately, they haven't been returning at the times they should. Our most recent ship was supposed to return today, but no word. It's been the same with all the other ships." The captain paused to take a drink. "We're not sure what's causing it, but its a real hassle. We can't take very many risks, but this problem has to be solved. These two ships are all we've got in this epidemic. Losing one isn't an option. I don't know how much of that you guys heard past all your bickering, but we're running out of options. You guys got any ideas?"

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:          Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 10/10                                    Dex: +3    Int: +3
Strain Points: 11/20                                     Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                         Com: +1    Luk: 9
Gold: 0

Still gasping for breath a bit between every couple of words, Zen replied "I believe... we should take one... of the ships... and find whatever... is causing this problem...There isn't really any... other option..."

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Jayne intends to do what he does best: fight.  He stays standing and simply states, "Lizard Sandwiches"  The half-orc pauses a beat, then adds "with cheese".

Jayne believes he's somehow being clever....

...but he's also a bit hungry.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

The captains look a little dismayed at the thought of using a ship to see what happens. Both of them didn't like the idea of losing one of the ships. The red captain put down his drink, all the drunkenness gone just like the blue. "You're telling one of us to let you have one of our ships, and our men, to sail out into the waters to see what happens? If our previous ships and their men couldn't make it through what ever it was, then what makes you think adding four untrained land farers to the ships will make it all better?" He paused when the Half-Orc said he first words of the day while on the ship. "And then you're suggesting you fight ALL of the lizard folk away? The guild ain't exactly full of chumps. We have some real fighters in there, and while we've been able to hold them back so far, the lizard folk just keep coming. They breed like rabbits despite being so reptilian. You're welcome to add your blades to the efforts though." The blue captain sighed. "Unfortunately though, the guild has put their trust in you. Give us plausible cause for one of us to loan you one of our ships and we'll have no reason to object. But what Red here was saying, adding four people to a ship isn't going to change much if the ships themselves have been sinking."

furryoldlobster

Jayne does his very best to put thoughts together, which is increasingly difficult after the mentioning of rabbit.  Delicious breeding rabbits....

Jayne's half-orc brain offers a simple solution, "We hunt lizards.  We succeed and you know first.  Its open water for you and your crew.  Everyone else still think lizards roam"
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Name: Zen Komanu               Bonuses:           Str: -2     Con: +2
Health Points: 7/9                                           Dex: +0     Int: +4
Strain Points: 17/18                                                                 Wis: +3    Cha: +0
Armour Class: 12                                              Luk: 16

Zen, who has now regained his breath, sees that their only option is to get one of these ships. By any means possible. Better to try to be civil before doing the fun stuff though. "Look, think of it this way. You can lend us a ship and crew, and we go find the problem. We either solve it, or we die. That's the first option. Or, you can sit here and drink, and drink, and then drink some more. More people will send ships out, and they'll disappear. Then some more will go, and more, and more. Meanwhile, you sit here and drink, and do nothing for the rest of your life. If we take a ship out now, we can find the problem, If we solve it, you can get back to your normal routine, and sail the open seas freely again."

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

Leila inwardly smirks. She is starting to like this Jayne fellow very much. She listens to the captains and Zen's hostile reply and cuts in, "Sirs. There is feasibly no other way we can figure out this problem. All the action is on the sea, and if we do not get to the sea as well, we shall just sit here idly and nothing will be accomplished. No, we are not suggesting we fight ALL the lizard folks. We shall do what is necessary to fix this port's problem, but only if you'll allow us."

Tokilin

The captains didn't look pleased. "From the looks of things, odds are you'll die. In case you didn't notice, these two ships are all we have left. We're not about to just give one up without good cause. Not to mention, it takes a full crew to run a ship, I doubt any would want to sail knowing they're most likely being led to their deaths." The red captain spoke up next. "And as for the drinking comment, it's what a sailor does. But just because we drink doesn't mean we don't work. We select our days carefully and head out to the waters where we can still see land and fish. We arrive back before dusk, but because we keep fishing the same area, the fish are starting to move elsewhere. We appreciate you trying to solve our problem, but even if we're getting degraded results from fishing, it's the only thing keeping this town afloat." The blue captain looked towards the side of the ship, on the front half. "If you're that desperate to head out into the waters, we have a row boat rigged to the side of the ship. Not the safest, but it floats just fine." The red captain laughed. "I guess that's a solution to their problem, but it'd probably be safer to fight the lizard men than to go far out into sea with just that rowboat."

Zito

"If you keep fishing the sane places calls  to shore, eventually there won't be any fish left  unless you go out further. What will you do then?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

"Even we're not sure at that point. Hopefully this situation will be solved by then. After a while though, you're right, we'll have to send out one of these ships into the waters where they might not come back. But we're planning on doing something like that when the fish aren't enough to support the town. The rowboat will be the only ship you get from us until then. If I had to guess, it'd be about 5 days before we're desperate enough for that." The blue captain spoke up at that point. Of course, if the Piscus guild leader, Ashen, gave us the word, we'd be willing to help out with something like that. This whole town owes our lives to the guild."

Millarz

Leila looks at the captains, narrows her eyes, and says, "Fine, we shall come back with approval from the guild leader." The sorceress turns around so fast it creates a small breeze in her wake as she walks off the boat and back to the guild. "And I'm getting new clothes," she mutters to herself sourly, touching her singed robe.

furryoldlobster

Jayne's memory isn't the greatest.  Did anyone ask where the lizards came from?

"From where do the lizard people hail?", he questions the captains. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

"The lizard folk? They've always been around, but not like this. It's only recently that they've been attacking in such numbers. Not sure why they're attacking though, it's not like we've got the supplies they're generally after. If anything, they should be backing off due to lack of supplies. Doesn't change the fact that they're a real bother now." The captain returns to his drink, waiting to see if the adventurers had any more questions.

Millarz

Leila hears Jayne's question as she huffs off and wonders briefly if she could track the lizards to find their location. She soon realizes she has no means to do so. The sorceress drops the thought. She arrives back at the guild and goes to find the leader.

Tokilin

Leila arrives at the guild hall, only to find it's still entirely empty. She thought back to where Ashen could have gone. Where did Ashen say he was going earlier when they talked?

Millarz

Leila had forgotten that Ashen had gone to the lizard folk. Now what were they supposed to do? The sorceress supposes the four party members could go out and find Ashen. She heads back to the ships with this in mind. Speaking of four party members, where did that little mute guy go? Arriving back at the ship, Leila announces, "Ashen went to the Lizard Folk. We have to go find him, unless you have any better ideas."

Tokilin

Name: Ray Milx               Bonuses:           Str: +0     Con: -1
Health Points: 14/14                                   Dex: +1     Int: +3
Strain Points: 16/16                                        Wis: +1    Cha: -1
Armour Class: 13                                        Luk: 10

Ray waved from the background, he was there the whole time. Due to the fact he's a mute though, it's not like he could speak up. Unfortunately, with his disability came the un-amazing power to be perceived as a background prop out of the corner of anyone's eye. Even though Leila was looking right at him, he seemed to blend into the scenery, matching the crew, despite not wearing a sailor uniform and doing any work. Perhaps he'll shine in battle?

furryoldlobster

Jayne, who hasn't left the ship yet, is excited for the opportunity Leila presents.  "You mean...Lizard sandwiches?"  The fighter jumps off the ship onto the docks with such force that it nearly buckles the boards underneath him. "Jayne hungry!"
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

"Sure, lizard sandwiches if that's the sort of thing you're in to," Leila says, threadbare tolerance for the half-orc's... simplicity evident in her voice. "Onward to the gate." She and Itzal lead the way out of the port follow the path to the lizard folk place.

Tokilin

The gate, despite being the main entrance to the town, wasn't very interesting. It was more like a blockaded check point. About 7 tough looking men from the Piscus guild were sitting at the gate, their weapons close, watching for Lizard Folk. Just to the right of the check point there was a small hut without a door, and with a service window. Probably to collect tolls or shelter the city guard during unpleasant weather. Through the service window you can see Ashen's black haired head. He seemed intent on something that was on a table in the room with him. A map, and some sort of parchment with markings on it.

Zito

Health Points: 7/9                                           Dex: +0     Int: +4
Strain Points: 17/18                                                                 Wis: +3    Cha: +0

Zen follows Leila back off the ship, and to the gate. When he spots Ashen in the little hut, he walks over and into the hut. Addressing the Guild Leader, he begins "Ashen, we need one of the ships docked at the port to get out to sea. We can not find out what is going on out there unless we actually are out there. The two drunk captains would only give us a small rowboat to use, and you know that won't help us any. They did mention that if you gave the word, they would lend their ships. Will you give the word?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Ashen looks perplexed as he appears to be mulling over something. He doesn't even notice Zen's entrance until he speaks up. Looking away from his papers, he answers Zen. "You want to what?" his face could clearly show slight confusion. "Despite their appearances, those captains are high quality. I'm sure they gave you a reason as to why they couldn't let you do that. Besides, if the sea farers can't make it out on the sea, what's adding a couple of people who spend their time on land going to do? It's not like you can walk on water, if the ship goes down you're out of luck. Ashen gave a sigh, returning to look at his work. "I can see where you're coming from though... tell you what, prove yourselves and I'll give the word." Ashen motioned for Zen to come close, and anyone else who happened to follow into the room. "Recently, we've killed a couple of lizard folk who've dropped some interesting things. They look like messages to be frank. But from what we know, lizard folk don't write, they're a little dense for something like that. Help me figure out these messages and I'll give the word." Ashen looks back over the papers on the desk.

The sky is the limit. You're not gonna roll to figure out this one, you're gonna have to decrypt it yourself. Of course, while we may be playing dungeons and dragons, you're still entitled to the luxuries of the modern world. (Yes, that includes the internet)

The lines separating the various symbols and things are just to show what the pieces of paper are. Each section is a different piece of paper.

Millarz

Leila smiles. She has seen this code before. While the others were puzzling about the puzzle, she says, "As a matter of fact, it says 'o'clock' and the bottom sheet says 'morse c.' Obviously it means morse code. The black lines are morse code and that particular one means 1. So the message is 'one o'clock'. I don't know what the top dashes are though. I can't tell if they're all in a line or separate. I've actually learned morse code before, you know." Pleased with herself, she stands up a little straighter and looks at Zen with a smug grin on her face.

Tokilin

Ashen looks over the papers. You're right, I never even thought of Morse Code. As for the rest... I haven't a clue. Is that all it says? Surely there has to be more... Why would lizard folk be carrying papers with such advanced codes? 1 O' Clock? If that's all there is, I'm afraid this will be a dead end. I'm positive, there has to be more." Ashen looks a little upset. He'd spent hours trying to figure this puzzle out, and when an answer is before him it just didn't seem complete. He seems unlikely to give his word on a ship in this state.

Well done Millarz, but unfortunately, there's more. zito says he gives up on it (He spent about 30 seconds looking at it) and furry seems to be in full belief his character couldn't have an insight for this puzzle. So it's up to Millarz to see if they can get the boat, or perhaps choose a different path. :P

Millarz

Leila scrutinizes the papers again. She realizes there are two lines of morse code in front of the "o'clock." "Ah, it's 11 o' clock, not 1," she amends. "As for the other sheet, I shall look over these sheets some more." The sorceress looks over her shoulder at Zen. "Look who's the silent one now, hm?" she taunts. With that jab, she faces back towards the papers, focusing most of her attention on the still coded paper with black lines.

Millarz

Leila looks hard at the papers. If each line is one letter, then the remaining paper says NNE. She realizes this before but says nothing in fear of being wrong. But what does NNE mean? She racks her brain for any organizations with that acronym. Her mental search comes up short. She briefly looks back up at Ashen, who for the moment, she is so dependent on for the boat. The map on the table catches her eye. The map has a windrose on it, as all decent ones do. The north pointer pops out from the rest of the page in noticeable red. North... NNE... North north-east! With a sudden jump, she exclaims, "11 o'clock isn't in reference to a time! It's referring to 30 degrees east of north. These lines right here mean NNE, or north north-east. This message tells a location." Having announced all her findings, Leila's smug grin towards Zen becomes even more pompous.

Tokilin

"Of course! ...although 11 o'clock is in the other direction of North North-East. It might just be a time." Ashen's eyes are wide with excitement. He moved all the papers off of his map. "This map shows to recent Lizard Folk strikes in the area, they're also the most frequent spots. Perhaps North North-East refers to a spot that something will happen at?" Ashen called twelve people into the building, giving brisk orders to them. "You are to group up into groups of four and separate to these three points. Stake them out until midnight, and if nothing happens, report back immediately." Ashen pointed at three points on the map, then nodded his head at the people. They promptly left, most likely headed out to those points. Ashen placed his finger on the top right mark. "Unfortunately we're a little short handed, would you mind watching this point here? I'll give word to the captains about the ships in the morn, it'd be risky to go out onto the waters when it's nearing dusk. Just till midnight, and then when you come back your rooms will be waiting, warm and comfortable. I'll even ask the lady in charge to have soup ready for your return." Ashen gave a charming smile, bidding the heroes to help. He was going to give word to the captains anyway, but not till the morning like he said.

furryoldlobster

Jayne, no stranger to being a blockade all on his own, thought he would never be able to help these two vastly intelligent beings.  Finally, its Jayne's time to show what he can do!

Jayne is a wall
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote]
~ cinema sign.

Zito

"Good job, Leila." Zen answers to her arrogant bragging. "You know, I couldn't make hide nor hare of that code. I'm very impressed that you managed to solve it. I apologize for my earlier comments. You definitely can hold your own in a fight, and even if you can't, at least you can solve these codes, right? That's useful." Now turning his attention to Ashen, "I don't know about the other three here, but I'll go help out at the attack site." After this, Zen promptly walks out of the hut, and toward where he saw the mark on the map.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Jayne is confused.  Guard the spot.  The spot is on the map.  The map is in this room.  Therefore, guard the room.

This mission is exerting a lot on the half-orc's mind.  After much deliberation, Jayne stops being a wall, and starts following his ally.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Leila realizes she had been thinking of a compass in a game where the wind directions are not in the correct order. Her bad. Still, she had cracked the code, so she stays silent on her error. She is surprised Zen complimented her so sincerely, or at least seemingly so. Another snarky comment almost escapes her lips, but she holds it in. If they are going to be party members for this mission, it's best they get along. Instead, a short "thank you" can be heard coming from her mouth as she begins to walk as well.

Tokilin

The heroes arrived on scene, taking up residence behind a bush and with a tree to their rear. It was true, that this was a frequent spot for lizard folk. Bodies lied sparsely across the ground out past their hide-away, a couple of used-to-be guild members included. All in all, the area smelled like death. It was only about 10 O' clock when they arrived, they had an hour to wait sitting behind the bush.

Millarz

The party certainly had time to kill. Leila and Itzal check around themselves to see if there's anything peculiar around. She then sends Itzal up to the air to look for some lunch on his own. She knows he will stay close by within range of her sight. He'll call if he sees danger coming by. She hopes he'll see it. For now, she contents herself with drawing in the dirt with the tip of her spear and then swiping away the evidence over and over and over again. Leila hopes Zen or Jayne have better ideas for spending this hour.

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Zito

"Anyone know any good games?" Zen whispered in the hope of lightening up the mood.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

The sky clouded over, it was a rather quick and sudden change, but normal when you're this close to the sea. Not only did it get darker, it was harder to see. Leila didn't see anything, aside from the drawings in the dirt and Itzal seemed to be pre-occupied with the clouds and a squirrel running away from his shadow.

furryoldlobster

Jayne bored!!!!

Maybe something interesting is lying around...

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]

...or smelling around
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 14, total 14[/blockquote]
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Looking out over the field, Jayne didn't see much. It was just a small clearing with bodies laying about, nothing different than before... until he took a large whiff of the air. He could smell the faintest trace of smoke mixed in with the smell of death and decay. But there was no fire evident. What on earth could that be?

furryoldlobster

"Jayne smell smoke, but where's the fire?", the fighter asks.  He looks to Leila for guidance. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

"Smoke, what smoke are you talking about Jayne?" Zen asks.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"Out in the field.  I can smell smoke coming from there.  Why would I smell smoke without a fire?", Jayne questions. 

*StReSs MiGrAiNe*
~ cinema sign.

Zito

"Where there's smoke, there's fire. Maybe two of us should go investigate, while the others keep watch here?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Suddenly, loud stomping could be heard as three large creatures charge by. The look like a cross between a powerfully built human and a lizard. While they charge right by the bush, they fail to notice the heroes. Upon entering the clearing and seeing the dead bodies, they enter a rage. Looking around, they eye Seawell standing tall in the distance. Looking at each other, you can hear them his "It mussst have been theeeem who attacked ussss. The proofffff isss evident here. Theeessssse humanssss are what issss attacking usss."

So what do the heroes do? Plenty of options to choose from. Some certainly are better than others though.

Zito

As quietly as possible, Zen whispers to his companions "Those must be the Lizard Folk. It sounds like they have been getting attacked. We obviously need to investigate further. What should be our next move? Do we want to follow them when they leave?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

Leila, who was just about to pull out her spear on the lizards, makes off like she was just straightening out her robe. Following the lizards seemed like a better idea than outright killing them, but she would rather be caught with shocking grasp than admit it to Zen for now. Although with the way he's been acting, that may change soon. For now, Leila is not hostile but cautious of Zen. With a swift nod, she conveys she agrees to Zen's plan.

Zito

"We should probably split up. I say Leila and I follow them, while Ray and Jayne stay here. Any objections?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

That seems like a reasonable plan. Ray wouldn't be able communicate to whoever he was with if he was following the lizards and the huge oaf Jayne probably doesn't know the meaning of stealth. With a shake of her head, Leila shows she has no objections.