Main Menu

News:

Online Since 2012

The Misadventures of S'kavara and Aiden

Started by furryoldlobster, March 09, 2014, 02:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

It's been hours since the battle where S'kavara and Aiden "technically" defeated the Protectorates of The Shaded City Guild.  They're so proud of their victory that they've declared themselves Super-Assassins and sent their companion, a human called Larp, on a separate route.  The self anointed  "Super-Assassins" head east away from Shaded City, but a protesting Larp is sent back towards the Protectorates.

Its nearly dark when S'kavara and Aiden see the approaching caravan.  Its a smaller carriage, requiring only a driver and a single horse.  Most likely, this is a traveling merchant!

The Assassins dive to the south side of the road unnoticed, hoping to devise a plan to continue their good fortunes. 

DM sidebar:
Answer in any order.  You may PM one another if you wish.  If a battle starts, I'd roll for initiative after the first action (e.g. Aiden, without hisitation, strikes the driver.  roll d20.  I'll DM respond to that action, then roll initiatives all around).  By no means are you limited to battle.  You could threaten the guy, attempt to trade, flashdance, or something else I don't expect. 

Don't limit yourselves to this arbitrary group name.  I'm sure you can come up with something better, but try to add it in-game.  Maybe after thinking about it, decide the name isn't quite right, your characters could suggest a new one. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Crouching in the shrubs near the edge of the road he studies the caravan. With only one horse and driver, over powering it would be all to easy."What do you think we should do, Cat?" His words quiet to any human (or any other humanoid peoples) but easily heard by the cat.
Zero-

Blaidrug

Aiden snickers to himself, his eyes wide, his fur matted but standing on end. "Burn, burn, burn!"
This cat, being truly fit for the chaotic nature of hellfire, generally thinks of nothing but death and destruction. His mind and soul charred, he stares intently at the highly flammable cart, fleshy horse and driver. They would make great fuel. Perhaps we can roast marshmallows over their bodies.
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

furryoldlobster

The caravan approaches closer, having no clue its under the careful gaze of the two stealthy miscreants.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

"We can't, if we burn the cart we may lose everything inside. We could shoot the driver with my bow, but if I miss they will be startled and run off. I could shoot the horse, but it may only spook the horse wether I land a hit or not." he continues to watch the cart, trying to find a way to at least stop it "I may be able to hit the axel, and knock the wheel off, but that will be a tough shot."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero-

Blaidrug

A small burst of flame, strangely seeming to take the shape of some kind of bulb, arose from the little cats head. "I've got an idea. I'll slide a rock underneath the wheels, make the driver think that he's run me over. When he stops to get out, you take him out. We get away with the loot, and a free ride."

zerokiriyu

"That will work as well as anything else, so go for it." readies his bow and an arrow. " I wonder if he will even care about a road kill feline."

Zero-

furryoldlobster

The caravan continues traveling forward.  It has arrived to the point of ambush, but will Aiden and S'kavara attack, or do they have something else in mind?
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Noting Aiden's hesitation, S'kavara thinks quick then takes off his hood and shirt. "The guild symbol will give it away." He quickly folds the pieces of cloth and sets them in front of the cat "Take these and hope on the back of the cart, cat, and try to stay hidden." He pulls the arrow that Lanor shot him with, and, without hesitation, shoves the arrow back into the mostly closed wounds. He runs out of the bushes, feet in front of the cart, and tries to act as if he had just been shot.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

Zero-

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

The driver signals his horse and halts to a stop.  "You", yells the driver.  "Are you alright?"
The driver steps off the carriage and begins walking towards the seemingly injured traveler. 
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

(Sorry! I wasn't hesitating, I just wasn't on my comp at the moment XD)

The dark furred feline grabs his allies hood in his teeth and attempts to glide effortlessly into the cart behind the drivers back.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

Aiden moves with utmost stealth behind the driver, who completely fails to notice the small feline as he walks closer to S'kavara.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Looks up at the driver in mock shock "Please, I need you help, I've been shot with an arrow. Could you take me to the nearest healer?" He tries to put as much emotion and pain in his voice as he can muster

[roll]1d20[/roll]

Zero-

furryoldlobster

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

FAILURE

This caravan master, although not particularly bright, is hesitant and unconvinced.

"what happened?  Who attacked you?"

~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Looks back at the spot where he burst from the woods, as if seeing if anyone was following him"I was traveling when I over heard a pig squealing, I went to see what was happening when suddenly tree hunters, I guess, decided that Panther would make a better meal. I tried to run, but they caught me. I fought to try and run again. That is when a midget fired an arrow into my shoulder. Please, sir, I don't know if they are still chasing me or not, please help me." he looks at the driver and tries his best to muster a few scared tears

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

The driver, a human male, steps off his vehicle, and looks towards the trembling Panther.  Although still unconvinced of the victim's story, the good natured driver isn't one to let a creature in pain go without assistance.  "I'm carrying medical supplies to Shaded City.  I guess there was some sort of mishap early this morning."  He walks to the rear of his carriage and opens the locked storage trunk.  After sorting through, and gathering, a few supplies, he shuts and locks the storage door, and circumvents the wagon back to S'kavara.  "Here's a tincture and some bandages.  Just dump the whole bottle on your wound and wrap it.   It'll help the pain, and prevent any further infection.  I'd offer more, but my boss would kill me. "  The man begins the climb to the top of his carriage.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

he takes the supplies and begins to dress his wounds. He sits in front of the wagon in hopes to make it not move."Thank you, Sir!"

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]
Zero-

Blaidrug

The tiny feline lightly begins searching for a blade of any kind, broken bit of glass, something. If nothing else, Aiden would use his own claws. They have to kill this fool before he gets away, without spooking the horse.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

S'kavara immediate feels the intended effect of the medicine.

S'kavara healed by 2 hp

Most of the pain is gone, but time will have to heal the rest of this wound. 

Aiden's search reveals the man is armed with a short blade of some kind, and is unprotected by armor.  He notices no other weaponry. 

The driver is just about ready to move forward, and asks S'kavara to move aside so he can pass.   
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Noting the the situation as turned against him and the cat. He thinks quick of the next move. He looks down at the arrow that is still protruding from his shoulder. He grabs it and mock tries to pull it out. He tries to muster a painful grow."Grahhhh! I can't pull it out!"He lets go of the arrow and clutches his shoulder. He hopes the man will try to aid more.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

FAILURE

Now annoyed by this roadblock, the driver blares, "Listen, I'm in a hurry, and can't give you any more supplies.  These are for the people of Shaded City.  Move aside!"  The caravan wheels spin as the horse draws the cart to an intentionally slow start, giving the panther plenty time to step aside if so chooses.

DM sidebar:
For each of these conversation/bargain attempts, I've been adding S'kavara's charisma modifier to the rolls, and performing wisdom checks for the driver.  The way I see it, is S'kavara is trying to lie, and the driver picks up on body language, or something similar, and calls him on it.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Aiden silently hops onto the drivers shoulders, places his paws on either side of his head, digging his claws deep into his flesh, and begins to form a ball of fire between them. Frying the mans brain.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

FAILURE

Aiden swipes at the driver's face, but is thrown off the cart before he can do any real damage.  Embers fly from his paws as Aiden falls, and effortlessly lands.  One of the sparks landed on the horse, who darts forward, causing the driver to stumble off his carriage!

The driver picks himself up, unsheathes his sword, and holds his ground against these assailants. 

Initiative Rolls:
Aiden: 22
S'kavara: 12
Driver: 15

~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Aiden clicks his tongue, and, with a devilish smirk, glares at the driver "This would have been so much easier on you had you just sat back and died. Ah well. Time for some fun!" The fiery cat lets fly an enormous ball of fire directly at the human.

Fire Blast[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

HIT

5 damage inflicted to Driver

The fiery projectile is unavoidable.  The blast's impact staggers the driver, who struggles and barely manages to stand up.  He charges at S'kavara, blade ready to strike, and swings at the mighty Panther. 

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote]
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

HIT

2 damage inflicted to S'kavara

This Driver refuses to be intimidated, striking S'kavara's arm.  Despite his low health, the Driver doesn't back down. 

S'kavara is up.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

" Oi Oi Oi! I didn't want to kill you. I just wanted to settle this peacefully. I even acted as a wounded animal!" After speaking he yanks the arrow out with ease."After being attacked, someone else attacks us? Is this not our day, Cat?"S'kavara stands and turns to the driver."I guess some good new turns from this. Your the first person who didn't see the cat as a greater threat, and there for did not try to kill it rite off." He walks towards the nearly helpless driver, still clutching the arrow."This is becoming so boring."Now uncomfortably close to the human he leans forward and almost whispers into the mans ear."Killing you? What a drag."S'kavara tightens his grip on the arrow."If you would so kindly as die, that would be great."He takes the arrow and tries to drive it rite into the man's side.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

HIT

2 damage inflicted on Driver

The Driver, with almost all his strength depleted can't fight off S'kavara.  The arrow is driven deep into his torso.  He clutches his side and collapses to his knees before succumbing to his wounds. 

The carriage didn't get very far, although the horse wrangled itself free and is nowhere to be seen.  It seems, despite S'kavara's wounds, this has been quite the rewarding day.  First cooked pig, and now a shipment of medicine.  Surely it'll go for a decent price; even a higher price if desperation is involved.  Someone needs this after all.

Congratulations, baddies.  You each get 100 exp for defeating this enemy.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Aiden effortlessly hops onto and rests upon S'kavara's shoulders. With a flick of his paw, a small tongue of flame grazes the panther's wound, attempting to cauterize and close it. [blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

"Now that that's dealt with. What do we do now? How are we going to unload our loot?

zerokiriyu

He looks down at his fallen pray."Search the caravan for anything useful, Cat. We should at least give this guy a pyre."He looks at his now double wounded arm."I will see if he has anything on him."Leans down and starts searching the body for anything useful, after taking the sheath and sword from him.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

Aiden burns the wound shut, and with the enzymes in his saliva, prevents further infection. 

S'kavara healed by 2 hp

S'kavara loots the body, but finds nothing more than the sword and sheath.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Upon finding nothing else of use, he stands and picks the man up. Hoisting the man over his good shoulder, he begins to walk towards the caravan. While walking he looks around for any sign of the horse that once lead it.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

S'kavara notices hoof tracks leading east, but this horse was at a full gallop, and had no intention of stopping after being burnt.  It will be impossible to catch up to the beast without a mount of their own. 

The road goes east-west.  The caravan was traveling westward, towards Shaded City, most likely from Netherton.  Netherton, a few days walk from here, is the center piece and trading hub for several towns, including Mallows Edge (which lies further even farther East). 

The sun will go down within a few hours.  No town is reachable before dark if they travel by foot.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

"Pfft! Pyre. I'll give this fool a pyre!" The black cat, eyes glowing red, fur igniting slightly, began to bounce like a jittery imp from the fiery pits of hell

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]

zerokiriyu

"Damn, that horse would have been nice."He stops looking for the horse as he approaches the caravan. Upon reaching it he tosses the body to his side, and climbs into the wagon. He begins looking around in hopes to find some sort of camping gear. "If he was traveling from Netherton, even on horse back, it is a couple days ride. He must have some sort of camping gear."He notices his hood and shirt where the cat left it earlier. he picks them up. He notices a small leather packing bag, and slides them in. he returns to looking for the gear and any first aid stuff they may use.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 20, total 20[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

Aiden:
SUCCESS

The blazing feline jumps about, leaving fiery paw prints in the wake of each pounce.  An impressive campfire-funeral pyre is quickly raised.  It will need to be maintained every now and then, either with the pyromaniacal talents of Aiden, or just regular fuel. 

S'kavara:
CRITICAL SUCCESS

Not far from the wagon, S'kavara's keen panther eyes spot something shiny.  A key!  This must be for the locked storage compartment.  The Driver must have dropped it when Aiden spooked the horse and jolted the carriage.

DM sidebar:
If you choose to investigate the carriage, still roll a d20.  If you roll a 20, you'll get unexpected bonuses, and a 1, well....no spoilers.  Anything in between will still be successful. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

He hops down from the wagon and retrieves the key. Once he has hopped back onto the wagon he notices a large chest near the front of the caravan. He unlocks the chest and begins to rummage through its contents.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

The chest contains a few shirts, pants, a small empty satchel, a single person tent, and a rolled sleeping pad. This will be plenty to survive the night in relative comfort.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Aiden hops onto the edge of the cart, looking into the chest with S'kavara "My question, who locks this kind of stuff in a chest?"

zerokiriyu

"I really don't care about the answer to that question, Cat."He removes the satchel and packs it with the contents of the container. He slings the satchel over his good shoulder and lifts the cat onto the other."Let's find a safe place to make camp. First, though, let me deal with our friend over there."He lifts the body and tosses it onto the ready pyre. He then looks over towards the woods, and sees a small clearing big enough to house the tent and a fire, but far enough back that it would be hard to see from the road, if they are careful of the firs light."That looks good 'nough for me. Stay here, and make sure the pyre stay going long enough to complete it's reason for being. I will go set camp for the night." He sets the kitty near the fire and walks towards the woods. Before entering them he mutters something."I am already bored."
Zero-

zerokiriyu

After pitching a tent, and setting a place for a small fire, he returns to the road and looks at the caravan."Leaving that here will only draw unnecessary attention, what do you suppose we do with it?"
Zero-

Blaidrug

Aiden curls up next to the tent and thinks. "Perhaps we can hide it beneath the brush and leaves?"

zerokiriyu

"Something that big? No, we would need to take it deep into the woods for that."

Zero-

furryoldlobster

The sun's down and darkness overwhelms this realm.  The pyre, after successfully incinerating the unlucky driver, has died to just glowing embers. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

"We can deal with it tomorrow." Heads back towards the tent and sits by the fire pit.

Zero-

zerokiriyu

He looks back towards the road in the direction of the caravan."What a drag."He stands up and looks back at his fast asleep companion"I guess you wouldn't care if I said I was gonna go grab the medicine."After a few seconds of waiting for an answer he just starts walking towards the caravan. As he reaches the road he walks slowly and looks around for any one who may be watching. He reaches the caravan and climbs in. The sack that he left his shirt and hood in still laid on the floor. He picks it up and starts looking about the cabin and putting what he could find in the bag.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]
Zero-

furryoldlobster

SUCCESS

S'kavara gathers all tinctures, poultices, bandages, and several unmarked potions before exhausting everything the carriage carried.  The solutions alone are worth at least 100 gold!  The needy people of Shaded City would likely pay much, much more. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Finished packing the items into the sack he stands and hops from the caravan. He looks around one last time to see if anyone came around. Seeing no one he heads back towards camp.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

As S'kavara walks towards camp, a dark figure approaching Aiden catches his eye.  Thanks to his sharp night-vision, S'kavara identifies the figure as a human male, most likely a bandit or thief.  He's grasping a short blade, some sort of knife from the looks of it.  How dare some shadowy figure attempt to steal the stolen riches of an apprentice Shadow Rogue?!
~ cinema sign.