Main Menu

News:

Support Claytonia:   

The Shaded City Mystery

Started by furryoldlobster, February 26, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gargulous

Aastrid looked about at the mess, thinking, what feline humanoids existed that may be able to take on the guise of a goblin leader, fooling the goblins? She wracked her brain as she considered her religous training.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17[/blockquote]

Millarz

Arya, seeing that the woman had not realized she was walking to her, taps the woman again and asks, "Miss? Miss! What's your name? I'm Arya."
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

gargulous

"Oh!" exclaims Aastrid. "I am Aastrid, priestess of Freya, and I must confess that I am somewhat bewildered at present. I suppose it would be wise to find some food and lodging. I really have not had much time to think since that strange cat brought me here. Can you suggest a place that does good simple fare and has a place to rest? Oh, I am pleased to meet you by the way." Aastrid finishes with a broad smile.

Millarz

"Strange cat?" Arya asks, perking up at the mention of the furry little companion. "Aiden brought you here? He's the small talking cat. The bigger one is S'kavara. I haven't seen him around though. Have you? About lodging, follow me." She guides her presumed new party member to the old inn and wonders if they've fixed the door yet.

Blade7737

Kirito follows arya curios to meet the new person just to shy to start a conversation so he silently follows

furryoldlobster

The inn is full of patrons, though none are joyful.  Its easy to see why.  These aren't the drunkards from before.  These are families devastated by the "goblin" strike.  Children sit at the bar eating bread and stew as their mothers and fathers try to console one another.  Men, most likely neighbors, sit at one of the tables yelling at each other.  "Retaliation?!", Aila hears.  "My house is torn to shreds.  Gotta rebuild half of it!  No way I'm going out there unless I'm safe in here!" 

Aila gets a good look at the four.  The one yelling is the oldest among them with long silver hair tied behind his head.  He has long cheeks and a jawline that careens into a jagged point for a chin.  The man to his right is much younger; maybe 20 years old. Perhaps the silver-haired man's son.  His hair is much shorter than his hypothetical father's, and dark brown rather than silver.  The other two are nearly indescribable from Aila's position; they've got backs of heads.  Aila is sure of that.

The barkeep is hustling back and forth between all the patrons and finally arrives in front of Aila just in time for her to finish reading the menu.

Quail
Fish Cake

"Rabbit" Stew w/Bread
5 cp

"What can I get ya?", she asks Aila in a hurried voice. 

The inn door swings open to distract the innkeep before Aila can answer.  Its Arya, Kirito, and Astrid.  Xavier isn't among them. Aila recalls he elected to look about the town in hopes for clues from last night's devastation.

"Before you do anything, you need to see the fallen Anthro Panther.  I swiped the key while the sheriff wasn't looking".  Using his tail, the mewling tosses the key up to S'kavara.  "Maybe you'll recognize him"

Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

gargulous

Aastrid follows Arya and her silent companion to the inn, replying to Arya "Yes, the small cat sounds like the one, obsessed with burning things it seems."

Millarz

Arya chuckles. "That's Aiden." The ranger feels a change in Mayar's mood and catches him ruffling his phantom fur. "Oh, don't be jealous, Mayar. Nothing could replace you," she consoles as she holds out her hand. Mayar's nose moves to hover right under it, and Arya's skin is bathed in white glowing light. She imagines a soft warmth emanating off his glow, though the heat exists only in her mind. Seeing Kirito following her, Arya introduces him to Aastrid, "And this is Kirito. He's a psion, so don't freak out if he speaks in your head. He's a great kid." She wraps her arms around the boy in a quick little embrace.

The ranger arrives at the inn and balks at the number of patrons. This many people's houses were destroyed? "Oh my gosh..." she gasps to herself, but loudly enough for the rest of them to hear her. "This needs to be fixed. This many people under one roof isn't sustainable. A fort... we should build a fort." Realizing she is talking out loud to herself while ignoring her group, she sweeps up a menu to share with Kiri and offers another to Aastrid. While glancing at the menu, she asks, "So you're a priestess? That's really cool. We-" Arya nearly started talking about their old healer but then realized the idea of a dead possessed former party member might scare Aastrid away. "Where did you come from?" she recovers. "What brings you here?"

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 19/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  20/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

Having kept an eye on S'kavara this whole time, Zeeto attempts to stalk the Anthro Panther to see what he is up to.

Stalking:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Name: Aila Drakesberth               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 23/26                                        Dex: +2     Int: +0
Gold: 2g                                                               Wis: +0    Cha: +2
Armour Class: 14                                             Luk: 15

Aila looked at the menu, hoping that the quotes around rabbit emphasized that the stew was made from rabbit. The place was crowded, most likely from that attacks. After her meal, Aila would probably work on the mystery of the goblins. She was happy she followed these people, it would have not been in Aila's favour if she was present for the attack. She was still curious as to how it happened though, you'd think a town would have seen a large scale goblin attack coming. Aila indicated the third menu item as what she would like to eat and then quickly shot off a couple questions to the land lady, her voice sweet. "I just got back into town with my companions, you wouldn't happen to know when and where the attack started, would you? Did they burst through a gate or just kind of show up?" After the question, Aila handed the lady the money needed for the food. Hopefully the honey in Aila's voice would be enough to get the proprietress to answer her questions if she knew. The landlady was fairly busy though, and probably had no time to Answer Aila.

Will she answer?
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

As soon as Sheriff Reynolds let him out of the dead "goblin" room, Zeeto quickly glances his surroundings.  Although it was impossible to follow S'kavara during the lawman's reveal, Zeeto made sure to get a good look before they went inside.  He spots S'kavara the instant after leaving the windowless room.  Just as he glares right to the Anthro Panther; S'kavara responds in kind.  The two are no more than fifty feet from one another and locked in a brutal staring contest.  Neither Daniel standing beside Zeeto, nor any pedestrians between the two "combatants" have any semblance of effect on their concentration. 

"Although that elf looks like he wants to buy you a drink", mocks Aiden.  "Good luck with that..."

Meanwhile, at the inn...

The innkeeper quickly notes the order and responds. "I don't have time for story-telling right now.   Ask one of the other patrons".  After which, she quickly hustles past the bar, and back to the kitchen. 

Astrid is deep in though from her prior mental quandary.  She recalls her training.  There was a story; a fairytale really.  Its about jungle cats as big as humans.  These creatures could run on two feet, or four for extra speed, and lived on a far away island.  She thinks on the name and it dawns on her.  The island of Pansa Shima lies far east of these lands, past a massive and treacherous ocean.  Its inhabited by The Anthro Panthers.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Gold: 2g                                                               Wis: +0    Cha: +2

Aila was a little upset at the barmaid's quick answer. She could sympathize with the workload that she was probably being put under. It would see as though Aila's food would take a while so it wasn't impossible for her to gather information in the time she would be waiting. She eyed the four at the other table. They seemed as thought they were involved in the attack, their conversation supported that fact. Listening in, she waited for a moment that she could interject. Quickly she started talking in-between the contestants in the conversation. "Excuse me, I'm Aila and I've been temporarily hired by the sheriff to collect information on the attack. They're rather short-handed since the attack. It seems as though you were attacked and lost some property from the sounds of the things I overheard. You wouldn't happen to know the time and origin of the attack, would you?" Aila smiled her usual smile hoping the grumpy table goers would answer her simple questions.

One beautiful smile:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 10, total 10[/blockquote]

Also, I didn't tamper with my last roll! D:
   Why on earth would I tamper it into a one?! D:!!!!

Blade7737

Kirito turns and looks at astrid "yes hi nice to meet you" with a small laugh and a smile and a wave.

zerokiriyu

After a few intense seconds of eye lock, S'kavara turns and walks away from the staring elf. "I will look into the fallen Anthro, but not while those idiots are everywhere. Let's wait until they are either asleep or out of the city." S'kavara tries to speak as quietly as possible, so that the elf would not hear him.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

The silver-haired man turns towards Aila.  "No offense, sweetheart", he responds rather offensively.  "What good are you gonna do? Bake 'em a pie?!".   

"Father!", the formerly tacit son breaks the silence.  "We cannot turn down any offers now.  We've almost nothing left!".  The young man stands to a better view for Aila.  He stands a bit over six feet tall with a chiseled chin and full bodied frame with obvious strength, although with an equally obvious love of bacon.  "We've no haven except this inn.  A stranger is handing us a line and we will take it.  You know she'd have said the same".  The silver-haired man looks away from his son just as his son looks back at Aila.  "Yes, Aila did you say?  I can tell you what you need to know".  He pauses a moment as the other two men stand up to each offer their chairs for the rogue.  "Please take a seat.  We've much to discuss".  She sits as the two find vacant seats at the bar.

He explains the attack occurred a few hours after midnight.  He woke to a scream not far from his father's residence.  "I looked outside.  The attack didn't start from the gate.  It started from within the city itself!  I ran to my father's room.  He already had his weapon strapped to his side.  We ran outside where it was chaos.  They had...explosives", he says in distraught.  "They must have hid in one of the houses and gathered supplies for some time.  Entire homes destroyed within moments....", he voice breaks, but the young man does his best to hide it.  "The goblins have been satisfied with their own land for some time, Aila.  Why would they attack us?", he questions, possibly to momentarily change the subject. 

S'kavara manages to communicate to Aiden without the elf recognizing the words.  Zeeto and Daniel easily see the two walking off.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 19/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  20/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

Zeeto decides to watch the Anthro at a distance, to make sure he isn't up to no good again.

Watch all sneaky-like and such
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Aila took the seat with grace, her full attention on the boy talking. Taking mental notes the entire time, the boy finished his story. Thinking over her thoughts, Aila came to the conclusion that the origin of the attack either had a tunnel or the insiders were extremely good at sneaking large quantities of live goblins into the town. The goblins were probably the most recent edition to the storage area, but whoever snuck the explosives in was probably the main insider.

"We have reason to believe that someone has been messing with the goblins. They're simple creatures, so it wouldn't be hard to convince them to attack the town. Whoever has been moving their forces is obviously smart, it takes quite the amount of work to move large quantities goblins. I believe it may be connected to the attack on the guild. It would make sense to attack the defenses before hitting the city. Do you know where the stash of explosives was? I'm sure the place was reduced to rubble, but I'd like to take a look at it. I'll be setting out for the area right after my food... it should be here any second." Aila looked towards the door the Proprietress would be walking out of at any second, and with that movement an audible growl erupted from her stomach. She looked a little ashamed, but she knew it wasn't going to change what had just happened.

Millarz

Arya waves her hand in front of the priestess's face to see if she's paying attention. Maybe she's just had a long day? The ranger looks around for the waitress and orders the only thing on the menu while she waits for Aastrid to respond.

gargulous

Shaking off her distant thoughts as she notices Arya's hand, she smiles. "I am truly sorry," she says. Smiling at Kirito, she acknowledges the boy. "Hello, a psion eh? well, I don't mind if you talk in my head, as long as you keep away from my deeper thoughts!" she says with a wink. Turning back to Arya, she says "I come from the fjords of the northern lands, a place cold and rugged. As to how I got here, I'm afraid I don't really recall. The last thing I clearly remember is falling from the tree." A thoughtful expression comes across her face "I had thought it to be the gods of fate playing their usual games with me, but it seems I have arrived at a time of need, perhaps it was Freya sending me where she thought I could be of help."

zerokiriyu

As he walks away, his mind becomes cluttered with thoughts, of his past, the people in his past, ans what would "She" think once their idiotic group becomes aware of all of it. "If what that guy said is true, about my .... father, then why is he sending his men to attack this town? The smart thing to do would be at least attack the city that I am apart of... or maybe its more of, he doesn't really know I am here? No, that could not be it, if that where true why would he be doing any of this? Why is he doing this? Aside from being here only days after their guild was destroyed, I haven't any connections to this place... There has to be something more, something I am not seeing clearly..." His thoughts suddenly become constricted into one "C....C....G.... It can't be! If that is true,.... No, it can't be. No Anthro would ever fall into a guild, much less the Overseer. Damn it! What the hell is going on!?" "Aiden? Can you tell if anyone is following us? I have an idea."

Stalker check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]
Zero-

Millarz

Arya nods her head. "Indeed it does look like you're much needed here. I suggest we drop by the general store and see what he has and then get to bed in a tent or something. Tomorrow we can consult more with the sheriff." She furrows her brows and thinks aloud, "Aiden too might know about things. He was always with a manther anyways. It doesn't hurt to ask. Well, unless he decides to flame us. Speaking of Aiden, how is he apart from S'Kavara? He's always with that manther... Well, what do you say? General store today and then sheriff and Aiden tomorrow?"

furryoldlobster

The inn-keeper returns to the table with several servings of "rabbit" stew; one for Aila sitting with her current conversationalists, and the rest at Arya, Kirito, and Astrid's table.  A rather delicious looking loaf of bread if offered and place on their table as well.  "I overhead you're trying to help us out, maybe find out who did this to our town", she speaks.  "This is on me.  If you discover the truth, you'll have free food here whenever you'd like".  The tired proprietress quickly goes back to work. 

The young man answers Aila.  "A little further into the residential district was the most damaged.  Maybe you should start there.  I'll make a quick map for you".  He jots down a simple set of directions on a piece of parchment.  Aila will easily be able to follow it. 

Aiden lifts up his nose to sniff the air, and both ears seem to twitch independently.  "Our only shadow is that elf", says the Mewling prophetically.  "And that tree sized fighter next to him"

Zeeto and Daniel watch as Aiden and S'kavara confer.  He's got a decent eye on them until a group of civilians interrupts his concentration, several of whom have hooded cloaks similar to S'kavara's.  Zeeto's head flips back and forth while he attempts to discern the correct figure. 

Zeeto, please roll a 1d4.  Roll the correct number, and you shall continue to track S'kavara
~ cinema sign.

gargulous

Aastrid stifles a yawn, brought on by the reminder of what a busy day it has been. "Sleep sounds welcome, although I do feel that first I should investigate the wounded and see if any are in dire need of my ministrations. I would feel quite foolish should anyone I could have saved pass to the next world in the night." She then eyes the food, with some suspicion...suspecting that "rabbit" is just fancy spelling for rat or, if the sheriff is anything to go by, perhaps even goblin... As she tears off a piece of bread she  recalls the folk tales of her home, sharing with the group the tale of the manther island.

Millarz

Arya had been scanning the room for her fellow party members, especially Aiden if he is there too. At the mention of Manther Island, Mayar's ears perk up (since Arya's ears can't move like that). "Manther island? You know of it? I confess I know very little of it. All I know is that S'Kavara is from there. What do you know of the island?" Arya inquires.

Spot Check for Party Members
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Arya sees Aila just across the room speaking with one of the younger townsfolk; a young man with short brown hair in his mid twenties.  Astrid and Kirito sit next to her ready to indulge themselves with stew.  She recalls Xavier said something about investigating the town to heal anybody in need, and learning anything he can along the way. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila nods her head accepting the map from the young man. Quickly scarfing her food, she deposited the map into her pocket and stood up facing the people. "Have no worries, we'll get our just revenge. I'm sorry for your loss." With that, she left the inn and headed towards the section of the city that had been mapped out for her. Upon arriving at the location, she looked for the building that seemed to be the most destroyed, explosives tended to do that to buildings.

Spot Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 16, total 16[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Aila passes houses with shattered windows and broken doors on the way to her destination.  Clearly, these homes were intruded upon by force.  A quick glance inside shows furniture thrown about and rooms investigated.  Silver platters, glass dishware, and other valuable items are scattered throughout the space.  Its very odd that goblins, long known for raiding and stealing valuable items, or at least anything shiny, would go through the trouble of pillaging a town and not reap their rewards. 

It doesn't take much longer to reach the waypoint on Aila's makeshift map.  The devastation is immense.  What should be a house in-between two others is nothing more than a smoldering patch of smoke and charred foundation.  Board and beam shrapnel protrude from nearby buildings.  These must of have been part of the house in question at one point.   

Aila steps onto the ember blazed cobblestone floor and notices a patch of loose rubble.  It is circular with a diameter measuring just over four feet.  It takes a moment, but the rogue is sure this is where the goblins made their entrance; no doubt their escape as well.  They must have collapsed the tunnel behind them to discourage any followers.  It will take some time, but the path can be cleared and investigated. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Aila pondered her discovery, and wondered why the Sheriff of the city had failed to notice such a thing. She decided that she'd tell the group about it, and possibly investigate it before telling the Sheriff. Aila took a close look at the hole, wondering if she could possibly open a gap large enough for her petite figure to slip through and examine the other side. It'd be time consuming to find the others scattered around the town and get back here, it would also take more time to clear enough of the rubble for the whole group to fit through. Rubbing her hands together, she attempted to clear a hole. Hopefully the long nap she had taken earlier was enough to give her the strength needed to clear a small hole.

Strength, Ahoy!
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11[/blockquote]

gargulous

Forcing herself to swallow a mouthful of stew, Aastrid recounts the story of the island of Manthers to the party. Upon concluding the tale, she eats some more stew, then asks "Do you know where the casualties from the attack are being cared for? I really must ensure the worst off are taken care of. Perhaps we can also get some information from some of them."

Millarz

"I'm afraid I haven't got a clue where the injured are being tended to. You might want to ask a local around here in the inn," suggests Arya. She then excuses herself and makes her way to the general store owner. Perhaps he has some more knowledge on what happened around here. On the way to the general store, the ranger observes her surroundings in search of anything noteworthy that might help her figure out what exactly was going on with these attacks. She arrives at the store and knocks on the door.

Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]