Main Menu

News:

Come join us on Teamspeak

The Shaded City Mystery

Started by furryoldlobster, February 26, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny4rest

Daniel speaks "Yes they might have visited the guild, that would explain the ruins anyway, but my priority is rescuing Albert."

Zito

Name: Zeeto Nailo               Bonuses:           Str: +1     Con: +1
Health Points: 12/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  0/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1
Armour Class: 16                                                 Luk: 9

"Unfortunately, the Shaded City Guild is gone. It was demolished awhile back, and we" Zeeto gestures to himself and Arya, "Along with our ally Lanor, are all that's left of it. We are on a mission to find out who destroyed it, and why. I feel that the destruction of our guild and yours, are related. I also feel that the Manther knows more than he is letting on. We made a promise to help Daniel here get Albert back, but afterwords, I feel we need to find the Manther. Will you join us?"

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

With Arya's vision, hearing, and head finally clear, the spark in her eyes returns along with a witty smirk just waiting to come out should the situation demand one. (Thank you.) "Right, your steed," the ranger recalls. "My, my, we've had too many distractions. We've best get your Albert and find out what happened to our guild before the world ends or everyone dies. At least you're here, Zeeto. I can't say the same for Lanor. Or... pretty much everyone else. Arya's eyes fall at the thought of everyone gone. Her party is falling apart! To Xavier, she says, "You would be a much appreciated add on to our rag tag little team. We ought to work together to find out the source of all this mayhem. What do you say?"
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

"Destroyed?!", gasps Xavier.  "Of course I'll join you.  My apprentice shall head to other guilds, and warn them.  I understand you must be exhausted.  Ashyk's scepter has been destroyed; any magic users should feel their energy flowing again".

Indeed, Zeeto and Arya no longer supressed by Ashyk, already begin to feel stronger. 

"Now lets see about your injuries", states the cleric, eying Arya, Zeeto, and Daniel head to toes.  He closes his eyes, and then opens them to reveal they've suddenly clouded over. 

Mass Heal
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]

Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Zeeto, Daniel, and Arya stare at their wounds, literally closing by themselves leaving no sign at all that any damage was ever done.  Xavier's eyes return to their normal hue in just a few seconds.

Zeeto, Daniel, and Arya have been completely healed

"Now then, you should feel better", Xavier adds.  "Lets gather up our supplies, and head to Shaded City.  Please, tell me everything you know about your guild's destruction."
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Health Points: 19/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  6/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

"Really, we don't have many leads" Zeeto begins. "All that we have to go on is a mysterious figure we saw running away from the scene, after assassinating a goblin we had captured. It seemed that the goblin was about to tell us something, but its words, and life, were cut short. Other than that, we don't really know much. Until now that is. If your guild was destroyed much the same way, they must be linked. The link, at least to what we have to go off of at this time, seems to be S'kavara. We need to find him."

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Assassinated...?  How?!

phone entry....
~ cinema sign.

Zito

"The culprit somehow shot a dart at the creature, killing it instantly." Zeeto replies

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"A dart, you say?  Intriguing...did you get a good look at the projectile?", asks Xavier.  "Many assassins like to have a signature in their kills.  This dart could be the key to uncovering who's behind this"
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Health Points: 19/19                                              Dex: +3     Int: +3
Strain Points:  6/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

"Unfortunately we didn't get a look at it. I would say that we could go back to the City and look at the body, but I'm pretty sure the Sheriff has already ea- er, disposed of it." Zeeto replies.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"Never mind the body.  The Sheriff should have the dart as evidence", states Xavier, 100% sure of his statement's validity.  "Daniel's mount seems to be detained by these crooked sherriffs.  We'll also be in town for any other errands, if you've got them".

S'kavara remains concealed in a nearby bush with no one the wiser. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya taps her chin as she listens to the conversation between her new party member and her old one. "Good idea on the dart," she pipes in. "Also, S'Kavara had said something about a different guild or city or something being linked to the destruction of ours. It seems so long ago that he said it that I don't remember exactly what he said. Anyways, let's head back, shall we?" The new energy she felt from the staff's curse being lifted gives her a detectable bounce in her step as she makes her way back to Shaded City.

Zito

"I agree. We need to move on. Let's get going." Zeeto says, then follows Arya back to the City.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

danny4rest

furryoldlobster

Our heroes open their group to the stranger called Xavier.  Everyone seems ready to take off towards Shaded City abandoning the fallen prankster, Harold...

...or was it Gerald?

Moral improves as the group heads through the walls of redwoods.  With each step they take, the group feels their energy return. 

S'kavara waits in his hide until the Protectorates pass.  Its much easier to track them now...

Our heroes continue along their way without incident.  A few hours of traveling and the rows of trees have been replaced by cobblestone walls; the dirt path, replaced with a proper road.  Xavier declares this clearing is as good to stop at as any.  "It's lunch", he says.  The team picks a quiet spot just off the road, next to a half-dead oak.  The clearing is empty of any other foliage. 

Arya and Zeeto regain 8 strain points

S'kavara tracked his former group to the clearing, although they've no idea he's been following. 

~ cinema sign.

Zito

Strain Points:  14/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

Zeeto, still exhausted from their recent endeavors, decides to go rest next to the Half dead oak. He sits down, leans his back up against the oak, and soon Trances out.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

danny4rest

So... now we finally save albert... But first some rest, but first... lets try not to be ambushed by wolverines
Daniel sits down and lays against a tree and looks around making sure that there aren't any animals that are going to interrupt his sleep for the third time
Spot Check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]

Millarz

Fully rejuvenated since the wolverine attack, Arya is too eager and alert to rest for long. After sitting down for a bit, she gets up again and travels away from the road her party had been traversing. The forest always calls to her; she cannot resist exploring it. "I'll be back in a bit," she calls back vaguely to her party members. Scanning the foliage for signs of movement, she notices the forest here has a different feel than the one she explored as a little girl back home. It had a different feel to it: different foliage, different lighting, different colors when Mayar's light is cast upon the ground, and different creatures she guessed as well, if only she could find any. The trees were sparser and let in just enough light to staunch the ominous feeling darker forests let off. The ranger waited for the familiar ocean breeze passing through the trees, giving them the impression they were animated and howling, but the breeze never came. What a perfectly new place to explore. Bow at the ready, Arya waltzes deeper into the forest until she can only just make out the resting boys though the trees in the distance. Here, she stops and looks around.

Spot Check:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Daniel and Arya scan their environment.   It couldn't contrast more with the lakeside redwoods.  Open, with dried golden vegetation that goes on for miles atop rolling hills that melt into horizon.  The only oddity is a patch of trees on the opposite side of the road.   Not a soul can be seen on the actual road, nor has one been seen.  This is something that goes through the minds of the whole party.  This road should have more activity right now.  Regardless, here, there is no danger to wake a sleeping giant.  Daniel can finally get some shut-eye. 

Arya is relaxed enough to venture into the sparse grove.  These aren't the giant redwoods by the lake.  These are much much smaller, and strangely uniform.  They've an average height of five feet.  The trunks are no thicker than her wrist, covered with reasonably tough, but thin brown bark.  A closer investigation reveals the leaves are ovular with pointed ends.  It takes but a moment, but Arya recognizes the trees as some sort of citrus although none bear fruit.  Before the ranger even finishes her thought, "but why would a grove of trees be so uniform and well planted...", she realizes she's stumbled onto private land. 
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

Satisfied with the area Daniel settles down to sleep

Millarz

Oh... is this an orchard of sorts? How foolish of her to wander into such lands. Orchards are usually clearly orchards. You'd have to be blind to miss the uniform trees. Well, either be blind or be Arya. With an awkward, stifled walk, she makes her way back to the group hoping the owners don't find her our in their land and get angry at her for it. Back at the impromptu rest area, the ranger collects stray twigs from the trees on the edge of the orchard and starts a little fire to cook what little rations she cab find between her and her party members. While eating their food, Arya brings up the topic of the orchard, explaining what sort of land lay behind them. "So, any of you know who owns this orchard?" she asks.

Zito

Strain Points:  14/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

Zeeto, still aware of his surroundings while tranced out, simply states "No." and goes back to trancing out.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

danny4rest

Without opening his eyes Daniel speaks
"It might be owned by the city, or a resident within the city, unless you see a shack in the orchard, this is probably the case... but if you excuse me im going to sleep."
Danile then begins to drift off to sleep.

furryoldlobster

Xavier offers some insight on the orchard, but quietly enough to let Daniel get uninterrupted rest.   

"Sometimes citizens and, you're quite correct, the city itself will hire Druids.  They have the ability to grow orchards on the most barren ground in just days.  As talented as they are, druids are also quite devious.  They'll only grow the plants enough to nearly blossom.  The con-artists will refuse further work unless they get more money out of the land owner.  The sudden burst of vegetation will drain nutrients from the land, which will become useless.  The land owner has little choice but to pay them off; sometimes for years".
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

"Crafty little devils!" Arya replies with a small smile in appreciation at an actually engaging answer. This sort of con-art seems an awful lot like what something her sister would amuse herself with. The ranger both chuckles and grimaces at this thought. "That's terrible for the land owners," she continues, "though I suppose they could just fertilize the land instead of play the druids. Bury some fish or release some chickens to do their business and sorts. Well, I suppose hiring the druids once they've already grown the trees would be easiest for that year. The owners could learn from their mistakes the next year at least... Don't you think?" Arya was growing to like this new edition. Finally, a member with some brains. Certainly he wouldn't throw rocks into moving bushes.

furryoldlobster

"Some of land is so barren, it'll take years of tilling, adding fertilizer and the like.  Its the owners looking for some quick revenue, or the easy fix.  The druids probably rationalize that the owners 'had it coming' for disrespecting the earth.  You seem to be familiar farming.  Did you spend some time working the land?" 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya shakes her head at the man's question. "Nah, I didn't work on a farm. That's the last place you'd find me. It's the same boring old thing every day tending to the same plants in one old field. Where's the fun in that?"  she says as she throws her hands towards the stoic fields and orchards. Their uyielding silence would give any adventurer a mind-numbing headache. She continues, "My father often took me on fishing trips and one day we caught so many that it lasted days and I was so sick of fish by the end of it. That's when he showed me the neat fish trick- How a buried fish could nourish a growing tree. My father dug a hole and we 'planted' some of our fish.  I thought that was so funny. I asked my dad if we were planting fish trees that grew little fish on its branches. I still wish that was a thing!" she pouts. "He also put some droppings in the hole as well that he found lying around. 'Nature's fertilizer' he called it." Arya suddenly remembers the next part of the memory and begins to snort. Her noises develop into cackles as her shoulders shake at the memory. "He almost put his own droppings in to prove the point before my mother caught him. Boy he got a scolding for that! Teaching me to be like an animal and sorts. It was disgusting, but the both of us were laughing our heads off after my mother turned her back. We planted a sapling in the fertilized hole. To my knowledge, it's still there today..." The girl's eyes fog over for a moment, but quickly blink back to the present. "I figured chicken droppings would be a lot more explainable in this context," she adds quickly.

furryoldlobster

An outburst of laughter barrels out of Xavier. 

...hehe

...fish oak

Arya and Xavier continue small talk for the better part of an hour.  Its enough rest though, as Xavier wakes Daniel and Zeeto releases himself from his trance. 

Zeeto regains 6 strain points.

The group gathers their supplies when Zeeto's keen ears pick up screaming from the road.  It emanates from where the group ventured.

He picks up the words quickly: "Wait up!"  After a few seconds, a figure appears over the road's horizon.  Its Kirito!  Last anyone saw of him, the young human  and Aiden rode a very confused wolverine into the forest.  The psion appears to be panicked, and the group soon finds out why.  His former mount must have disliked the ride.  The creature is running, nearly at Kirito's heels, but turns away once it sees the rest of the group just a hundred feet away.  It scampers into the nearby orchard before meeting up with them again.  Kirito, unaware that he's completely safe from the creature until he looks back, arrives just as the Protectorates and friends are prepped to depart. 

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Arya turns around and quickly lights up at the sight. "Kiri!" she exclaims. She opens her arms to embrace the child. "Where have you been?" she says, winded from the shock of the surprise of seeing him again.

Zito

Strain Points:  20/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

"Well, look who decided to finally show up" Zeeto says. "What of the Fire Cat?" he asks soon after.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blade7737

"i got lost you could say but know i'm back and that cat does not talk at all i swear hes mute or something"

furryoldlobster

"So the cat's got his own tongue?", Xavier jests.  "Hopefully his skills won't be needed.  Welcome, Kiri, is it?  We very briefly met during the encounter with Ashyk.  Perhaps you don't remember?  It was right before you rode a wolverine into the wilderness.  We're heading back into Shaded City, where it seems a corrupt sheriffs department is holding Daniel's mount hostage.  Will you join us?".
~ cinema sign.

Blade7737

"Yes I would love to and no in afraid I don't remember sorry"          ( posted from my phone)

furryoldlobster

Despite the unanswered question, the group continues onward, leaving con-man-druid created orchard, which is now occupied by a wolverine.  That farmer should have done it the old fashioned way like Arya and her father....

The journey back to Shaded City takes longer than it should.  It turns out, while although Xavier is quite helpful in the healing department, he has a bladder the size of some sort of tree nut.  The man needs to relieve himself nearly every hour. 

The group finally arrives just outside town as dusk settles on the land.  They remain hidden nearly 100 feet from the town's front gate.  It looks much different when the group last saw it.  Its now heavily guarded by armor clad warriors; four of them to be exact in full plated armor, each with his own powerful maul.  Daniel recognizes them as the very same who forced him into interrogation. 

The group's eyes follow the gate to the town barrier.  The top is lined with barbed wire for as long as the group can see.

"Tell me", Xavier whispers.  "Can any of you charm four guards?". The clerics smirks.  "If the answer is no, maybe we should find another way in.  Perhaps a quieter way?" 

~ cinema sign.

Zito

Strain Points:  20/24                                                Wis: +2    Cha: +1

"It seems that the wall is lined with barbed wire all along. How do you suppose we get past that? I say we just walk right in the front door myself. I mean, half of us are supposed to be the ones protecting this town after all." Zeeto states.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"Daniel", starts Xavier.  "Didn't you say these men sent you after Zeeto here?"  Xavier clears his throat.  "What were their intentions?  Would it be safe for him?"
~ cinema sign.

danny4rest

"I was supposed to get Zeeto and take everything he has on him, down to his clothing, and leave him out in the forest and return with his stuff. I don't think they wanted me to leave him alive either." Daniel says " I know them, they are the ones who forced me into interrogation, I think it would be best to... neutralize them."

Zito

"Are you sure there's no other way?" Zeeto asks

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Blade7737

"WAIT there may be another way i have an idea if i where to say control one of them i could get that one to  take them off somewhere else we could easily slip paste the gate"

Millarz

Arya thinks for a moment. "Good idea, but the person you control might know you're doing it and could give us away. How about I calls some wild animals to distract them while we slip inside?" she suggests. Realizing a fight might spark either here or in the future, the ranger turns to Xavier. "By the way, I didn't catch your fighting specialization. What are you best at in combat? It's good to know your teammate's strengths and weaknesses."

furryoldlobster

"I'm afraid my talents stop with healing", says Xavier to Arya.  "I've got a few throwing knives and reasonably damaging baton, but I'm better off in the background, supporting everyone".  Xavier's brow furls as he looks down at the ground in ponderous thought.  "We need to get a look inside before disrupting these guards.  We wouldn't want to alert the whole lot of them, would we?"
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

"A healer? Good. We need one. I believe the rest of us are lacking in that department," Arya states. Racking her brain for an answer to her party's present problem, she turns to Daniel and asks, "Did these people who interrogated you mention anyone that Zeeto was traveling with? If not, it's possible that Xavier and I could just walk right on past the guards to investigate the place and locate your steed. Kirito too. He could even communicate with his mind to you. We could meet up and take it from there after that."

danny4rest

Daniel thinks for a moment...
"No. I don't recall the sheriff saying anything about anyone but the elf."

Zito

"That seems like the best course of action to me. We should have some way that you can communicate to us if something goes wrong in there though. Any thoughts?" Zeeto asks.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

"Like I said," Arya responds, "Kirito could communicate through his sort of mind speak. Pardon my lack of knowledge on psion powers, but is that possible, Kiri?"

Blade7737

"yes but i would only be able to set one link from me to one of these two"

Millarz

"That sounds fine," Arya says. "Would you also be able to communicate with Xavier or me since we'd be in close range, or will you have to mime whatever you want to say to us? I'm fine with either if you're comfortable with it. It seems like the best plan so far. What does everyone think?"

Zito

"That sounds like the best option at this point." Zeeto replies

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

"Its either that, or disguise him.  We've no idea how many guards lie waiting inside the city walls", Xavier states.  "I'm with you either way".
~ cinema sign.

Zito

"Either way I'm stuck outside the city until we figure out more about what's going on inside. As such, I am just going to go wait under that oak tree over there." Zeeto states, and goes to rest under a nearby oak.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins