Main Menu

News:

Come join us on Teamspeak

Double XP Weekends?

Started by Farquad94, January 30, 2014, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farquad94

Just an idea to maybe raise activity and for those who like to level (lol)
Fancy signature

Tslat

Kinda ruins the effort that other people put in though.. If you like to level, why do you need double xp to do it
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Farquad94

I agree with you but look at what 2x xp does to other games... just raises the traffic. Just an idea to put out there :)
Fancy signature

Tslat

And eventually kills them

Its the same reason pay-to-win games shut down.. Nobody cares about it if it means nothing

But yes, its still an idea i guess
Like what you see here?

Woodsy1995

I think its a great Idea, the idea of 2x xp weekends doesn't diminish other peoples efforts to level up at all, the weekends would not be exclusive anyone can join in, so noones hard work is made any less, if that Makes sense, it may however be a bit difficult to organise
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

Tslat

For those who can't access it on that exact weekend, or can't play for other commitments are 'diminished'..
Like what you see here?

Blaidrug

Yeah, but no more than had there been no double XP, just to a smaller degree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree that we should do this. You've got a point that it may have the same effect as any other P2P games.
On the other hand, that could be fixed by not making it an often event.
Or, perhaps you could make it something difficult to earn; Not so difficult that you'd want something more than just XP, but you know what I mean.

Idk, personally, I'm still confused on the leveling system on the server XD so no opinion beyond that of an outsider looking in. (newbie, in my case)
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Tslat

Generally speaking.. Its a cycle:

- double xp weekend starts
- short term players come on and grind, ignoring the rest of the community
- double xp ends, all the short term players leave
- some long term players leave because they feel like they're not getting anywhere anymore
- dedicated players leave because their effort has been undermined
- remaining players, and some short term ones suggest/complain that double xp should be often/continuous

The only benefit is that it brings in players short term, and you get more xp ( which could be done anyway if you actually played the server regardless)
Like what you see here?

Kathryn

I agree with splat. Roleplay reasoning around, it's unrealistic and ridiculous for the role-play server. If we're treating this server as it is, which IS a hard mode survival server with emphasis on character development/interaction, that would make no sense. Deities can give items, buildings, assistance in need, whatever you want — but I really doubt that all of the deities would ban together to give all of their children the sudden wisdom to gain TWICE the insight from their daily activities, only to mysteriously take it away after a period of time.

So it won't make sense with plot.

Okay, I get this isn't vanilla so we have all the fancy do-da events/plug-ins/whatever. It's why I love this server and why it's going to take a whole lot more than friendly banter to get me to fill out the freaking application for vanilla. ( Sorry Splat, love ya but it still ain't happening. ) But, honestly? It makes no sense with the server. The focus of the server isn't to get levels. There is no reason at all to try to change the focus into the point being to make levels. By granting double exp events you effectively advertise the server as being more or less solely for the purpose of raising levels (competitive) which we are not solely about.

So it makes no sense at all with the overall message of the server.

I know that I would be personally upset with a double exp event because you know what? I'm a student. I'm already on more often than I should be on weeknights. Weekends are the period where I get a lot of my assignments and readings done. There are people who work during the week and/or have families, or part time jobs that keep their weekends busy, or other real life requirements that make it so they can't stay on all weekend and grind like other players can. So, while it's "open" to everyone, people with any sort of life outside of mine craft or any real life requirements/responsibilities really don't have the same options as other people who don't. Of course, unless we're also going to do "Double exp tuesdays!" and "Double exp Thursdays" and... well, you get the point, to be fair to those players who can't make weekends. And if that happened... well, may as well just have it be double exp all the time, which defies the point altogether.

So it really isn't fully inclusive, and therefore makes no sense for the overall consideration of the real lives of the members.

Long story short, and I'm going to be blunt, this idea is stupid. I don't like it at all and, since I'm comfortable with y'all and I'm happy when I'm comfortable, you're not going to hear the bloody end of it if it happens.

Bad. Idea.

Farquad94

Well that got shot out of the water.
Fancy signature

Farquad94

I agree with some of the points stated but why do we have Mcmmo then? If levels and power are not apart of the role play? Any classic RPG has leveling.
Fancy signature

Kathryn

Yea, but that's not really the point of the server. You want levels then you should just do it like everybody else. It's more like a bonus than anything else; it's a nice little thing that runs in the background. We don't need anything unnecessary like 'double exp events'. All that really does is encourage the sort of attitudes that, like Splat pointed out, will isolate people on the server.

furryoldlobster

don't give out free xp.   make us earn it!
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

Like what you see here?

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Clay

This is why I love forums...
Continue, please
http://youtu.be/7XL8HV0GcPM  <--Share the video

Farquad94

Fancy signature

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

To summarize what most of you are saying and what I think, 2x XP means disadvantage to those who can't get on and those who want 1st place in a skill and can't get on would be unfairly screwed.
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.