Main Menu

News:

We are back baby!

Childhood games!

Started by Tslat, March 01, 2014, 09:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tslat

I wanted to put this here to see what sort of games people played when you were children..

Games like 'freeze-tag', 'red-rover', 'Anti-Anti-I-Over', etc..

If I can work out how to make them without any plugins, using only redstone for any of them, you could be seeing them on the RPG server as minigames!

Post below with your favourite games, with a brief description

Games I've finished:
Freeze-Tag
Skipping

Games I'm working on:
Octopus - On hold till 1.8 (Not worth putting it out early)
Kick the Can - "Press the button"
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Kathryn

I think my favourite game as a child was "Four corners" which was a game that involved four squares all put into one big square. Everybody stood on a corner and you bounced a ball down into somebody's square/at their square and they had to catch and throw/deflect the ball over at somebody else, who then had to do the same. If they missed they were "out" and they had to give up the square to somebody else who was waiting. The squares were also numbered 1-4; 1 was the highest and you got there by getting other players out, as if player "one" got out then 2-4 would get "upgraded" a number, if that makes sense.

Other than that there was Dr. Dodgeball (Dodgeball with hostages; when you were out you'd have to go to the back of your opponent's court and somebody from your team had to run across without getting hit to release you), Freeze-tag, Hide and Seek/Man-hunt, Sardines (which his Hide-and-Seek except only one person hides and when you're found by somebody they have to squeeze unto the hiding spot and that continues until only one person is left searching), What Time is it Mr. Wolf (One player is the Wolf and stands in the middle, with their back to the players. The players ask "What time is it Mr. Wolf?" and the wolf will say "Three o'clock" [or any time between "one o'clock" and "twelve o'clock"] and the players walk that many steps [three o'clock = three steps, twelve o'clock=12 steps, etc] until the players get close to the wolf in which case the wolf shouts "Lunch time!". All the players run away from the wolf and the one that's tagged/eaten/killed first then becomes the wolf for the next round. May be interesting to see this as a parkour course, lol), and Octopus (You've got the 'octopus' who is it and the other players. They run back and forth across the map on a cue and the octopus aims to 'tag' them. When a player is tagged they become sea-weed and their goal is then to tag other players, but they are unable to move from the spot where they were tagged).

Millarz

Quote from: Kathryn on March 01, 2014, 09:16:36 PM
I think my favourite game as a child was "Four corners" which was a game that involved four squares all put into one big square. Everybody stood on a corner and you bounced a ball down into somebody's square/at their square and they had to catch and throw/deflect the ball over at somebody else, who then had to do the same. If they missed they were "out" and they had to give up the square to somebody else who was waiting. The squares were also numbered 1-4; 1 was the highest and you got there by getting other players out, as if player "one" got out then 2-4 would get "upgraded" a number, if that makes sense.

Other than that there was Dr. Dodgeball (Dodgeball with hostages; when you were out you'd have to go to the back of your opponent's court and somebody from your team had to run across without getting hit to release you), Freeze-tag, Hide and Seek/Man-hunt, Sardines (which his Hide-and-Seek except only one person hides and when you're found by somebody they have to squeeze unto the hiding spot and that continues until only one person is left searching), What Time is it Mr. Wolf (One player is the Wolf and stands in the middle, with their back to the players. The players ask "What time is it Mr. Wolf?" and the wolf will say "Three o'clock" [or any time between "one o'clock" and "twelve o'clock"] and the players walk that many steps [three o'clock = three steps, twelve o'clock=12 steps, etc] until the players get close to the wolf in which case the wolf shouts "Lunch time!". All the players run away from the wolf and the one that's tagged/eaten/killed first then becomes the wolf for the next round. May be interesting to see this as a parkour course, lol), and Octopus (You've got the 'octopus' who is it and the other players. They run back and forth across the map on a cue and the octopus aims to 'tag' them. When a player is tagged they become sea-weed and their goal is then to tag other players, but they are unable to move from the spot where they were tagged).

I loved four corners! That would be hard to code though. Maybe give the 4 people bow and arrows and instead of hitting the square with the ball, the players would have to hit each other and take turns hitting each other until they died and the borders could be lava so they can't step out of it.
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

Kathryn

I remembered another! "Grounder"! It's played at a park with a jungle gym and the person who is "it" is blind-folded/has to keep their eyes closed and try to tag people without being able to see them. The hitch is when the person shouts "GROUNDER!" you have to get off the ground; anybody who's on the ground when that's shouted loses. Effectively the point of the other players is to spend as much time on the ground as possible while also being prepared to jump up onto something! That might be hard to do, though.

Tslat

Haha I don't know, but it made me think of musical chairs.. I bet i could do that ingame lol

Also, i finished the redstone on 'freezetag' ingame, and its was enjoyed i think.. More games to come! I'm enjoying working out the redstone for it all
Like what you see here?

earingchick

Hello everyone.
I have some suggestions for games.

Skipping - jumping over a rope
kick the can - hide and seek with one person it, people kick a can in the middle to be safe, if the it person finds someone and tags them then they are it with them
Mario hitting people off the island game: you hit people off an island and last man standing wins
Biathlon - when you run to one spot, shoot a gun, run to the next spot shoot a gun, run to the last spot shoot a gun. whoever finishes fastest with the best aiming wins!

I will suggest more later.

Blaidrug

I had a different childhood o.o

Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Kathryn

Quote from: Blaidrug on March 04, 2014, 04:00:57 PM
I had a different childhood o.o

You get Karma for this. I am now reliving my own childhood TV life. I love the Adams Family.

Obi42

I seem to be stuck on tag lately, but Lava Tag was always one of my favorites as a kid... wikipedia explains it better than I can, though they call it Hot Lava Monster.

QuoteUsually played on playgrounds, players must stay off the ground (Sand, rubber, woodchips, etc.) and on the play equipment. The person who is posing as 'monster' can be on the 'lava'. 'Monster' must try and tag or catch the other players. In some versions, 'monster' is not allowed to touch certain colors, such as the color of the platforms in the equipment (This means they must navigate across Playground slides, Monkey bars, Ropes courses, etc. instead of the main platform.)

Essentially it's obstacle course/parkour tag, though we could do it with actual Lava :D. The way we used to play it, if you're tagged, you become it. Sometimes whoever is it could only be on the lava, while other times we did it with boundaries like from the wiki snippet above. Good times.
"These are not the mobs you're looking for..."

Blaidrug

I like it! That would be some wicked redstoning, though, to give the monster and those 'it' fire protection.

... ok, wicked from my standpoint, cuz I'm an amateur lol

Tslat

Eh i can do some pretty cool stuff with redstone..

I think i came up with a portal minigame concept while i was driving to work yesterday
Gotta wait for 1.8 to do that one thouhh
Like what you see here?

Taters

Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, Lego Star Wars games, Maddens, Call of Duty Finest Hour, and Medal of Honor European Assault.
'What's taters precious, what's taters ehh?"
-Gollum

Tslat

Quote from: Taters on March 14, 2014, 04:55:30 AM
Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, Lego Star Wars games, Maddens, Call of Duty Finest Hour, and Medal of Honor European Assault.

Uh, I kinda meant games you'd play on the playground at school or something.. not video games lol
Like what you see here?

Taters

Oh well then...tag, football, baseball, army, kickball, and rock paper scissors.
-Gollum

Tslat

What is army, and how does kickball work?
Like what you see here?

furryoldlobster

Imagine baseball, only take away the baseball, bat, and mitts. Add a big bouncy dodgeball to the mix.  You have to kick the ball after its "pitched" (rolled) and try to reach the base before someone tags you out (or. Auto out if fielder catches the ball)
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Wow, that was an amazing explanation of kickball Furry! *cue the applause*

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Kathryn

Didn't play this as a kid, but it'd be a cool game I think... Russian Roulette? XD

Tslat

Like what you see here?

Obi42

You take a revolver, usually 5 or 6 chambers, load one bullet into it, spin the cylinder, put it to your head... and pull the trigger.

If you didn't lose, you pass it to the next player, they don't spin the cylinder or anything, just put it to their head and pull the trigger.

Game goes until there's a loser or no one is willing to play.

Zito

That's the opposite of a childhood game XD

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Taters

Taslat playing army is pretending to be in army, like guns and pretending to kill bad guys i.e. my friends and I would be the Americans and pretend we were fighting the Germans or Japanese.
-Gollum

Tslat

Like cops and robbers?

Sorry, my main idea of this thread was to try and get people to suggest cool games, then explain them so I could read it and know how to play immediately.
I'm trying to convert as many of these suggestions into redstone as possible, and it's far easier if I can read a pre-made paragraph and convert it to redstone in my head instead of doing both at the same time.
That, and everyone's interpretation of the game seems to be slightly different, so it's nice to get at least one definitive description
Like what you see here?

TigerHeart6

Jailbreak- There are two teams the "Seekers" and "Hiders". The seekers have to catch all the members of the Hiders before the time runs out. When a Hider is caught they are taken to a "jail" which is usually guarded by a member of the Seekers. The Hiders who are caught cannot break free, until a member of their own team sneaks in and tags them. This game is usually played in a big, dark area outside where there are areas to hide. The game is won when all the Hiders are caught or the time runs out.

Treasure Hunt- People are split into teams or groups. They follow clues from one destination to the next (possibly collecting items to show that they were there), and trying to reach the last destination before the other teams.

Tslat

We actually already have jailbreak in the form of a game called Ghostbusters...

We haven't played it in a while though
Like what you see here?

TigerHeart6

So many childhood games are very similar, but have different names.

Runningman- This game isn't actually a childhood game, but one that was played in high school. It's kind of a cross between a Treasure hunt, tag, and hide and seek. It's where a group of people start at a meeting spot (usually a school) and it's their job to run to reach different locations in the city within a certain time limit. For example, the group leaves the school and have to run to the mall. Then once the time limit is up (or everyone makes it) everyone leaves the mall to run to the next location, etc. This is done until they reach the final destination. But the catch is that the people who are running have to not only be fast, but also sneaky. There are a couple of people driving cars who are hunting them. If someone in the car sees someone running and calls their name, then the runner must join the car of people. It's up to the runners to decide whether they'll run in groups or by themselves, or which way to reach their destination. The cars win if all the people are caught, or the remaining runners win if they make it to the final destination. This game is played at night.

Tslat

Running man may be possible... got a bit of thought-work to do for that one I think
Like what you see here?

Obi42

Quote from: Tslat on March 17, 2014, 06:55:22 AM
Running man may be possible... got a bit of thought-work to do for that one I think

I like this idea.... Waypoints with multiple routes. We could use horses of course for the cars, and runners have to hit a plate or button to verify the waypoints. Sounds like fun. :)

Kathryn

I've been trying to think of more games... we could do scavenger hunts; where items (either items regularly attainable or renamed items in chests) are assigned to various teams. Whoever finds everything first wins?

Blaidrug

Quote from: Kathryn on March 24, 2014, 04:05:56 PM
I've been trying to think of more games... we could do scavenger hunts; where items (either items regularly attainable or renamed items in chests) are assigned to various teams. Whoever finds everything first wins?

I've also seen a version of this played with different colors of wool, and you had to bring them back to the main area and place them in the exact pattern shown (the example pattern would be placed in the same area for reference)

schuminator85

Maybe Duck, Duck, Goose or Dodgeball
It is what it is

tik_BOOOOOM

I always like the floor is lava sorta thing, but what if you did it so it was a race/parkour over lava to see who could get to the end first. It wouldn't take any redstoneing really just setting it up unless you wanted like command blocks to announce stuff.

Tslat

So basically a parkour game?
Like what you see here?

Zito

I think his idea is just parkour, over lava. Possibly with checkpoints and such, which you could use command blocks for. I've done a similar thing before, and it's pretty fun.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins