Main Menu

RolePlaying: What is it?

Started by Blaidrug, September 25, 2014, 02:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaidrug

Several events occurred tonight that made me feel as though I should explain Roleplaying, at least as it is for me.
This is just my own interpretation of it, so if y'all disagree comment on this one lol

Think of roleplaying (RP for short) as a game, because that's all it really is.
It's a game in which people are both the writers and actors for their own character, and you basically interlock that character with other characters in the RP that you're playing, in a world that you help create.

There've been a couple people in this community, as well as friends of mine from my many years of forum/in-game roleplaying, who have either written or started working on writing books on their RP experiences.
The reason being that you can get fanTASTIC stories from good RP's -- entire novels from great ones!

The thing to take away from that, however, is that we're actors. We're the actors and writers.
You don't scream and hate on Christopher Walkin when he played the Headless Horseman and killed all those people in Sleepy Hollow, do you?
Sure, you might think his acting is bad in it, but you don't hold those fictional characters he killed against him.
Because his character did, not him.

While I speak only for myself, I have no doubt that my fellow Roleplayers will agree 100%, that nothing we ever do as our characters is personal. I put someone in jail, it's not because I have a grudge against that person. I kill someone in RP, it has nothing to do with the person playing that character -- it is my character killing theirs, not myself.
That's the thing, I at least keep my characters and myself very separate, only limited by my imagination.
I've played sociopathic serial killers, marauding demons, The Great Evil Mantiok!, when I, myself, am a very kind, loving person.

To anyone that ever feels hurt by anything that I do in RP, or takes any of it personally, I sincerely apologize. I never meant to make you feel that way, I was just acting as my character would in whatever situation. That does not mean I have any hard feelings against you, or that I have any negative feelings towards you in any way shape or form.

I truly love this community, and both respect and care about everyone in it, I would not want to hurt anyone in anyway.

... Cept you, Goat. But we have our own safe word, so it's ok ;)

All of that being said, if you want help learning how to RP, or really help in any way, let me know. I'd be more than willing to help however I'm able.
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

Tslat

Can you pm me the details on what happened Blaid?
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!