Main Menu

News:

Come join us on Teamspeak

D & D map

Started by furryoldlobster, March 15, 2014, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furryoldlobster

I've a very clear picture of the map in my head, but I wonder what everyone else has in mind.  Use this link http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/ to come up with how you visualize the land. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

Tslat

You should draw one on the same site to compare when others have done theirs
Like what you see here?

We can't keep doing it without you!

Tokilin

I used that program to make this, and then edited in the comments I put, Like character locations, etc. I had problems getting the program to create the PNG/JPG file or even uploading it to the server, so I worked around it by putting my browser into full screen and getting a screen shot of the map. You'll see my work at the end of this post.

Hopefully maps will pop up for the various areas we do, such as Shaded City. It would be nice at the start of the encounter for positions to be marked so everyone has an idea of where they are for the fight, and then proceed to use your imagination to track characters.

Keep in mind that if your map gets picked for the encounter/setting, that you are not all-knowing about the map. You may have put something on the map with the intentions of it being something, but once you role that check to go examine it, Furry gets the final say (DM power FTW). When doing a check, it may not be the best to specify what you're looking for, you see a tree for example. "Aila checks the tree for a beehive (Insert roll here)". Because Aila was looking for a beehive and not anything else in the tree, she may have missed the birds nest she later sticks her hand in while climbing said tree. She'd then could have a group of angry birds after her, giving her a minus to a modifier or something, till she leave the tree or possibly kills it. Either way, it'd be up to furry.

When doing a check, it's better to generalize as opposed to being specific.

Anyway, after that long talk, here is my map. It's currently how I view the encounter we're currently in. (Against the Giant Wolf). I messed up and put Arya on the south. I think originally she was going to Spirit walk to Lanor and grab the poison from his bag to use on the wolf, but with Lanor being awake now and the beast "Scaring her out of spirit walk" (The way I saw it, not calling you a coward) I don't think she really "moved" per say...
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

furryoldlobster

Couldn't have said it better myself, Toki. 

I also made this thread for ideas/suggestions.  If you create a backstory and want to mention a town far away.  Use this program to give me a visual idea of where the town might lie. 
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

Perhaps maybe a living world map? You'd start it as it was your layout originally, and as people add backstories, campaigns progress, and knowledge expands, we could edit it.

As far as I know we have...

• Alchemists Hut
  • Shaded City
  • Netherton
  • Capital City (Ruins?)
  • The Forest Kirito Protects
  • The Cave and Man Eating Fish-Lake

I don't know about the Capital and Netherton, but all the others would be rather close. Maybe next time we're in town we should ask about outlaying settlements and possibly a map for the various other towns in the area. You'd be free to add a series of towns, some relevant and some not, to it with various names. Google is handy if you're at a loss, or maybe borrow some names from various video game towns?

furryoldlobster

Living world map is exactly right!  That way its an ongoing collaborative process involving the whole D & D community.

Nethertown is a few days east of Shaded City, and further east of that lies Mallows Edge.  If you picture a compass Netherton would be the intersect, Shaded City would be the West point, and Mallows Edge the East point.  Its a few days between Shaded City and Netherton, and equal distance from netherton to Mallows Edge. I wish this program worked during non-capped hours, but it seems to have issues.  I'll have a map here after midnight PST.

Capitol City, by the way, is about at least a month long trek by foot.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I have an odd feeling we're going to end up in the Capitol eventually.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

There are interesting happenings there.  Plus an entire people (well a bunch of poor people anyway) to free from the Imperial Guard. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Also, there's the cipher the Haunted have...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

But Zeeto knows nothing of the cipher...yet.
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

I'm too lazy to use that site thing. I think I'll just rough sketch it, which will actually take more time but be easier :p
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

furryoldlobster

Totally fine.  Just let me know if you want to add specific cities/towns related to your char.  S'kavara comes from Manther island.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

I said I was going to sleep Furry, but I lied. I experimented with rocks in this one... they didn't turn out the greatest...

Same story as last time about what the stuff means, just how I see it. When I make stuff like this I don't think "And there was a rock over there", I just think "And throw some boulders over here because it looks a little bland...".

Tokilin

Perhaps a world map? I added a couple of things to make it look not so bland... Of course, just because we can't see it on it now, a bustling metropolis could crop up anywhere and anytime if the DM mentions something.

Any other ideas? Updating this thing will be a slight pain, so I'll wait for a couple of interesting spots before I really update it. And that's if we even use it as the world map...

Zito

Behold! Zito's map of Llywwn's Estate! It's my first map, so give me a break...

The black things are carriages, since they don't have carriages...

The save screwed up the bottom it seems...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Farquad94

Could i please make a world map for the D&D?!?! I will post some picks of fantasy maps i made as a kid! :)
Fancy signature

furryoldlobster

~ cinema sign.

Farquad94

I will have em up tomorrow sometime, you will prolly be amazed or disgusted at how much detail i put into them
Fancy signature

Woodsy1995

I'd love to like build the map in minecraft and then just get dynmap haha
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

Zito

Let's do it! If we ever get our Server back!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

That would be way cool!
~ cinema sign.

Farquad94

Made these when I was a kid
Fancy signature

Zito

Those are impressive! Take our current world map and do that!

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Farquad94

Do you want me to make it out of the map maker you guys are doing or just like how I was drawing them?

PS: I got like tons more from when I was a kid LOL
Fancy signature

Zito

I like the drawings. It would be awesome if you could do it with color and the amazing detail you have o those others. We have a world map going, but are still working on it. I'm sure you could draw one better than the map maker makes :P.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Farquad94

Alright I will get on it. Ill try making one from graph paper but like 4 of them combined! Idk yet on the coloring because I don't do that often with the maps. Do you want me to base one off of the other world map posted on here?
Fancy signature

furryoldlobster

How about a separate continent to which at some point you'll adventure.
~ cinema sign.

Tokilin

You could remake the world map if you wanted, just keep the general design there. We've described things throughout the campaign that wouldn't make sense if the map was drawn differently. I'm thinking of attempting some DMing myself, but I don't want to infringe on Furries world and add stuff into it for my story. I was thinking of adding a second continent, either across the waves or to the south of the current one with a land bridge.

If you design an epic map for the southern continent, that would work. I'm flexible like that, haha.

Also, I liked your last map the most, made me think of ships and stuff... like assassins creed 4 or something. It was beautifully outlined and seemed a lot more zoomed out, like a full scale world map.

Farquad94

Ill need help on the specifics from the campaign since i am not an excellent reader lol. But I am working on a new continent for myself just for funzies and then I can work on the campaign map
Fancy signature

Tokilin

Updated the map slightly, it now includes Seawell. It's a port town on the south-eastern end of the northern continent.

Farquad, use this as a reference, you can add various things but keep the stuff that's already there.

Tokilin

Map a simple map of an island while playing with a mapping program I found (CC3). Whatcha guys think of the quality? It has a dungeon creator as well, and I'll be giving that a try at some point as well. You guys are free to take it if you need anything. I was just playing around with the thing while I made this.

Zito

That's awesome! (1 year later)

~Zito #corrupt4dmins