Main Menu

The Adventures of Zeeto, Lanor, and Arya Discussion Topic

Started by Woodsy1995, March 09, 2014, 11:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsy1995

Quote from: zerokiriyu on March 09, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
Appearing unaffected by the arrow, S'kavara steps forward as he places the bow on the end of his tail. The tail warps around the bow and holds it behind him. "Twice now an elf has shown me a poorly constructed, and horribly executed spell. I wonder how they would react to it." S'kavara mimics the mirror image ability and tries to create two of himself. The now two panter like beings dash forward towards the dwarf splitting apart feet from him. They now close in on him from both sides as they try to deliver a powerful kick on the midget. "I believe the arrow in my shoulder belongs to you, would you like it back?"

Question as their is in fact no Dwarf in our party, does that mean that S'kavara just Kicked at nothing? maybe the arrow affected him so much he is seeing illusions of people?
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

zerokiriyu

Zero-

Zito

Wait, so now The Panther guy can use my only spell, and his double shot? That doesn't really seem fair...

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Worry not, players.  This is why this is all a tutorial.  Watch me DM all over this place. 
Sustainability comes from small gestures. Don't let your comfort become waste.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

Sorry guys, I miss understood some rules. I am fixing it now.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

the heck you are!!!  check out how it plays out instead.
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

You are a cruel man, furry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero-

furryoldlobster

I like unexpected (and seemingly against the rules) things.  Never know what the DM will do.  I don't like rewrites.  I will write around something, and make some sense of it, before I'll ever ask someone to re-up a post. 

As for the battle, I know I made some reading comprehension errors. I'll be better in the future.  Great job everyone else!!  Aiden and S'kavara will get their own adventure board that will sometimes intersect with the current one.  I'm working on the story now.

I ask one thing.

Don't base your decisions on actions of different boards.  If the Protectorates are in a cave somewhere, they wouldn't know that the bad guys (i need a name for their position within their guild) are stealing an ancient artifact from a defenseless baby. 
~ cinema sign.

zerokiriyu

I was talking about the bacon bit, but okay. I don't know of a name so we will figure one out later.
Zero-

furryoldlobster

Oh, haha.  That poor pig.  And poor hungry Arya.

Also, it seems like everyone is having a good time (i'm having a blast.  that whole pig thing was completely unplanned), but what can I do to make this better?  Any suggestions or ideas? 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I think we should specify guidelines on abilities and such. I like how you handled The situation with the fake phantasms (Is that an oxymoron?), but I want to know like which spells out of the boom I can use. Since I'm an Illusionist, would I be able to use spells under Wizard/Sorcerer in the school of Illusion? Or would I have to learn each spell individually? I noticed that it lists them based on level (0 level, First level, etc.) Would I be able to use all the illusion spells per level?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Zito

In regard to the healing, I think that sounds like a good idea. Make it logical. Spells can heal as well, correct?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Yes.  Spells heal.  I'm adding farquad into the game (today I promise, bud!) who's got molecular magic.  He'd be able to repair the molecules at an atomic level...but it takes a lot of concentration.

I've been thinking on how to make magic make sense (?) 

Mages need to read/memorize from a spellbook/scroll (hence why intelligence is important for them)

Cleric's power comes from within (like Aiden) so they wouldn't need to memorize, but it takes years to perfect their talents.   (which is why wisdom is more important for clerics)

I've called you an illusionist class, but that really a temporary sub class.   How did you get your power/magic?  Would you rather be a wizard, or magician?

...i tried to add him today. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Well, in 3.5, there is actually a sorcerer class. They are born with the power, and don't need to memorize from books. I already the main description a couple weeks ago, so I need to look at it again to remember all the specifics.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Cool.  Sorcerer class it is.  I happen to have a 3.5 book next to me (....what a nerd....), and will figure this out.  Meanwhile....would you like to add a backstory?  I realize that I posted your profile, and you probably can't edit it.  Copy and paste it to a new post, that way you can revamp as needed. 
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD%3ASorcerer/Wizard_Spell_List

and I'll fix the "feat" list to reflect changes.  Thanks for your patience, Z.

I'm going to make everyone level 0 as well (don't worry, you'll still have all earned exp).  That way everything balances for spells. 
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I actually can edit it, as I am a Forum Moderator :P. I can edit nearly any post on the forums XD. Anyways, my main question is on what spells I can currently use. Can I only use spells from the Illusion school? Or can I choose from any of them? Do I have to learn them in story line, or can I select a few that I already know? (My one spell in that last battle made me feel really useless to be honest...)  Also, since I am level one, would that mean I can choose from Zero level and First Level?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

You may choose from any of the level 0 spells. Im going to set evryone to level 0 instead of 1. That was my mistake
~ cinema sign.

Zito

Ok, so I'll be able to use any of the Zero level spells at any time?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Yep. Im gonna incorporate a mana pool based on intel for magic users though.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Sure is!  I'm looking at different versions right now, and I like the idea of something called strain.  Spells would take a certain effort to complete depending on the situation, as well as the player roll.  We'll go off this chart for now:

Level    Strain Cost
        0th    1st    2nd    3rd    4th    5th    6th    7th    8th    9th
1st   3   7   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
2nd   3   6   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
3rd   2   6   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
4th   2   5   7   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
5th   1   5   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
6th   1   4   6   7   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
7th   1   4   5   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
8th   0   3   4   6   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
9th   0   3   4   5   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
10th   0   2   3   4   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”   â€”
11th   0   2   3   4   6   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”
12th   0   1   2   3   5   7   8   â€”   â€”   â€”
13th   0   1   2   3   5   6   7   9   â€”   â€”
14th   0   1   1   2   4   5   7   9   â€”   â€”
15th   0   0   1   2   4   5   6   8   9   â€”
16th   0   0   0   1   3   4   5   8   9   â€”
17th   0   0   0   1   3   4   5   7   8   9
18th   0   0   0   1   2   3   4   6   8   9
19th   0   0   0   0   2   3   4   6   7   8
20th   0   0   0   0   1   2   3   5   6   8

what's this mean? As you level up, the spells that used to be somewhat difficult, get easier and eventually don't cost any mana strain. 

I think a fair mana pool might be the same score as intelligence (e.g. Zeeto would have 18, and Aiden 15).  Every level-up you gain your int modifier's worth of mana to your pool.   

Thoughts?

*uggg...this did not format correctly.....*
~ cinema sign.

Zito

I like it! So, basically, a 0 level spell would cost 3 mana strain at level 0? Also, how would we regenerate this?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

It could regen a couple of ways.  Every in-game hour without magic use regens 1 strain point (plus your wisdom and int modifiers, so Z, you'd get 6 per hour).  Sleeping through the night (six hours) will cause full recovery.  We haven't really dealt with time a whole lot, but here's my general timeline

woke up around 4 am to the explosion.  Fought goblins which only really took a few minutes.  Consorted around town for an hour.  Traveled, almost to the alchemist, which took a number of hours, so its noon.  Fought with the "super assassins" for a few minutes (I hope they come up with a better name than I did....).  Recuperated for 5 minutes or so while Lanor pillaged the beehive.

As you complete actions, I'll let you know how much, if any, is regenerated.  For now, everyone starts with full SP, just for the sake of adding it to the game and for being really good sports about the whole game. 

I also want object related recovery.  Mana strain potions (maybe the alchemist has some....) as well as non consumables.  Standing in a mushroom ring (or fairy ring) would recover it too. 

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

That was extremely fun! How dare you take Arya's bacon away from her! She wants baaaccooooon. Seriously I was so hungry when I first started trying to get Arya to shoot some pigs :p And man it's over.... I... kinda already wrote my turn :p I'm not very used to D&D. Can rangers get spells too?
I should come up with a clever signature... eh I'll do it later.

Zito

Yeah, there is actually a list of spells for rangers as well.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Here it is http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Ranger_Spell_List

Its a little different than wizard/sorcerer though, as it's only got 5 levels of spells.  I'm inclined to treat it the same way, although 1st level ranger is technically a lvl 0 character (unless you're multiclassing and we're not dealing with that just yet).  Therefore, it should be looked at such as 1st-5th level ranger is the same as level 0-4 character.  Does that make sense?
~ cinema sign.

furryoldlobster

Hey, Z.  I've looked at that spell list a little more carefully and not on my phone.  It's got the wizard spells, as well as sorcerer.  Since I think it's ridiculous to limit particular spells  to particular schools of magic, I think for your "feat", choose a school of magic and you'll receive bonuses on rolls of that particular spelltype.  Since you've got illusion 1, you'd receive a +1 to rolls for illusion spells. Attempting spells out of your school can have unforeseen consequences!

We haven't discussed leveling up at all, but for now the plan is to level up at 500 xp, and then double it for every subsequent level.  So you'd level up at 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, etc.   The benefits of leveling up?  You get more hp (based on con modifier a d4 roll) and sp (int modifier).  You also get to upgrade your feat by 1 OR choose a new one.  Humans get double the feat benefits during level up to represent their versatility.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

So it wouldn't be every 3rd level for new feats like the book says?

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

furryoldlobster

Nah.  I think it makes the game incredibly slow.  I'd like to at least try every level.

Also, I've been using the term "feats" pretty leniently.  Unique skills is more a more apt term.  The list of unique skills will continue to grow as I pick and choose from every edition and make up new ones too.
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

So you're saying that we can choose to level up the skill we already have, or add a new one altogether, right?
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf...

furryoldlobster

Correct.  Its like learning something new, or improving a current skill.  Fire Magic 2 would be +2 modifier to fire magic attempt rolls.  If you were to cast fire bolt and roll a 9, you'd actually score an 11 (which means landing hit on a normal humanoid)
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

Are we going with new spells as well?
If you look on the wiki, fire mage learns I think it's ignite at level 2. Are we doing that with all the feats?

furryoldlobster

I'm not set on any edition.  If you come up with a list, or post one that already exists, it can be used.  Fire Magic unique skill applies to any fire spell you attempt. 

Does that answer the question?
~ cinema sign.

Blaidrug

yup yup
Funny bit, the wiki I have on my char sheet, it actually says any spell at all I do has fire properties, and is considered fire magic for DM purposes.
So, ya know, figured you'd wanna know ;P

furryoldlobster

Thanks, bud.  I really appreciate it.  Magic has always been complicated in d & d, and thanks to everyone, we're coming up with a new awesome, and hopefully simpler, system. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

So I gather from that list you posted that I could possibly be able to talk to animals once I level up? How much xp does it take to lv up anyways?

furryoldlobster

level 0 to level 1: 500 xp.  Every other level after that costs double the previous requirement.  500, 1000, 2000, 4000. 

And yes, millarz, once you level up, you get to use that and any of the first level ranger spells.  Ranger magic will be one of the unique skills, formally known as feats. 
~ cinema sign.

Millarz

furryoldlobster

My pleasure!   As always, thanks for helping out with this experiment.  Trying to make d & d a casual experience, rather than a grind, and its working (I think).  Once we've got magic down, its just details.  Formatting posts and such and it'll be easy.  This is going to be the most confusing and tedious part of the game creation, but I think it's got the potential to be better than any current form of d & d magic use.
~ cinema sign.

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Woodsy1995

I'll reply as soon as i can i was away from my computer yesterday
From Lizard to John O' Groats, is the land I own

Millarz

My goodness I didn't realize one of my last replies was so long until I posted it. Is that too long?

furryoldlobster

~ cinema sign.

Millarz

Zito

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Tokilin

Anyone care if Aila intersects? ;P

I've been talking with Furry, and it'll work out somehow :P
Until next time, this was Toki
   How useful was this post?
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Zito

I think I have a perfect way to introduce her of everyone's alright with it.

~Zito #corrupt4dmins

Millarz

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 19, total 19[/blockquote]